Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Clean Sweep Coil...I’m intrigued.

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Clean Sweep Coil...I’m intrigued.
February 13, 2019 02:19PM
Over the years this coil has come up periodically by those using it to find gold jewelry in parks and beach.

I’ve never used one however I’ve been verrry curious for a long time as to how you use this in the parks not the beach, I think that’s obvious.

Please weigh in, you know who you are....

I’d appreciate it!

Thanks

Aaron
Re: Clean Sweep Coil...I’m intrigued.
February 13, 2019 02:46PM
Good question Aaron & hopefully Monte will weigh in on this.-----He's had experience with most coil types.----I believe he likes the smaller coils though.
February 13, 2019 02:53PM
Mike Hillis uses them

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 13, 2019 03:15PM
Sven1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mike Hillis uses them

Exactly Sven!

Del, yes however I’m intrigued by (((Mike C’s))) recent comment on the Monte Hero Thread....

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2019 03:18PM by Aaron.
February 13, 2019 04:20PM
I have the 3x18" Epsilon coil for my Tesoros. As one would expect, it doesn't go that deep, but is great for grabbing stuff up to 5 or 6 inches. I use mine primarily on the beach, but it should be fine on sports fields as long as there's not too much trash -- trying to separate targets under 18" of coil can be a challenge.

Pin-pointing is easy. Like any DD coil, you pinpoint by wiggling back until the target disappears; at that point, the target should be right ahead of the toe of the coil. You can also wiggle the coil forward, in which case the target will be right behind the heel of the coil when it disappears.

-Ken
February 13, 2019 06:43PM
I'm not sure I'd recommend it for most parks. Unless the targets happen to be pretty sparse. It's great for getting the first 6" or so of a ball field or rodeo arena quickly though. Playgrounds also.
February 13, 2019 09:26PM
Aaron,

The CleanSweep is one of my favorite coils. Depth depends on minerals and ground balance settings. If your ground is pretty neutral you can offset your ground balance settings and get a steady 6" dime no problem. The coil pretty much tops out at about 8" on a silver dollar on a negative ground balance. Most Tesoro preset models will run it at about 5 1/2" nickel and a 4-1/2" dime. So that shows the coil range. My ground is too hot for negative ground balance so I'm operating in the preset range.

Operation depends on detector type....beep dig or tone id. On a tone id unit or notch unit its a fun coil as you can hunt it anywhere and cherry pick the high tones. On the Golden uMax its great for hunting steel crown cap infestations. You would think the long coil would mask too bad in trash but in reality its not that bad. Tesoros are quick enough that you can wiggle that coil all over the place and tease out the high tones. Or on Notch units like the Pantera or Golden Sabre II, you can notch in what you want an go hunt until you find it.

On a beep dig unit it is not so hot in high target areas. So you kind of pick your spots a little more carefully.

Ground coverage...the more ground you can cover the better likely you are to get over a keeper target.

I like it better than the old Whites Bigfoot. The Bigfoot design is deeper, but the Cleansweep foot print is smaller.

Try it, you'll like it.
HH
Mike
February 14, 2019 12:36AM
Ken, yes, I can imagine using this type of coil in heavy trash would be difficult to pinpoint. Yet that’s one of things I’m curious about...

dgerst, agreed on rapid ground coverage...

Mike, I’ve wondering about this for years, and now I’m starting to get it. I’m up here in lower Michigan, neutral soil. So I would offset the Pantera to a little negative. Set the tone break or

notch to whatever in particular I’m looking for. So if I’m only looking for gold jewelry, then only thing I’ll be hearing when I pinpoint, is in the gold range...(unless I pp in all metal).

All I need now is the Spring thaw....

Thanks!

Aaron
February 14, 2019 06:59PM
Hi just my 2 cents I met a old treasure hunter who use to live from detecting(he started before the magazines.)and he told me he use to have it for 1 reason only:

Locate the hot spots in a field then bring the big guns and hammer the spot.

He was if my memory is correct had it mounted on a XLT,some of you may know him his name was Brian(UK)

RR
February 14, 2019 08:22PM
Rivers rat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi just my 2 cents I met a old treasure hunter who
> use to live from detecting(he started before the m
> agazines.)and he told me he use to have it for 1 r
> eason only:
>
>
> Locate the hot spots in a field then bring the big
> guns and hammer the spot.
>
>
> He was if my memory is correct had it mounted on a
> XLT,some of you may know him his name was Brian(UK
> )
>
>
>
> RR

Sounds like a good way of doing the old S or W pattern to get the “lay of the land”.

Thanks RR

Aaron
February 14, 2019 09:09PM
Aaron,

The Pantera/Golden Sabre II have a notch accept/notch reject window that you can move around the whole range. There is an internal pot that controls the size of the window. Its much like the F19 or the G2+, only the notch window is adjustable by the internal pot. That window size also controls the low/high broken tone so if you really want full adjustability you have to put an manual pot on it. anyway....

These detectors are set up to the 8" concentric coil. The Cleansweep DD coil is a different profile. It doesn't sound the same, and doesn't hold the mixed tone the same. So you loose some audio intelligence. You can get some of that back by adjusting the notch window to the coil....the low/high mixed tone response.... Best if you have two detectors, one set for the 8" coil, then one to set for your cleansweep coil with the 8" coil response as a reference. I don't have two so I'm in and out of the control box like it was a refrigerator.

The older tesoro's are a lot fun.

HH
Mike
February 15, 2019 03:08PM
Mike,

I never mess w any internal settings. However, I also have a GS II.

It sounds like the Pantera would be best suited w the Clean Sweep (since it has adjustable Gcool smiley and the GS II w the 8” or 5.75” as per Monte’s advice.

How about your disc settings? Just above iron?

Also Mike, what kind of (small) gold are you finding w the Tesoro’s? Any chains? earrings ?

Been seening you posting for years regarding jewelry hunting and I really want to give it a try in my old park. I’d really like to be finding it in the dirt besides the water.

My only real experience w Tesoro’s is in water, however my little one is getting really good w her Compadre. Smoked me last time out and scored a 1890’s brass tool tag, and I had my IMPACT!

Thanks!

Aaron
February 16, 2019 10:11PM
excellent point with the "compadre" both it and the "mojave"
are true low cost 'sleepers"easy to "learn" and pack a wallop.
surprising many,with how well they can 'sniff" out the stuff!

(h.h.!)
j.t.