Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's the difference

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What's the difference
February 15, 2019 02:11PM
Guys I'm really embarrassed to ask this question. But since I can't hear y'all laugh I'm gonna go for it. I've been relic hunting since the brown shoe army days. With any detector I've used through the years, which is very few, I've never really worried or thought about how they work just that they worked, until recently of course. All I ever did was get hold of a machine hit the woods and fields and start adjusting it on the fly until I started digging relics then I was good to go. Right or wrong I still kinda feel that way. But one thing now that I'd like to know the answer to mainly out of curiosity and I feel a little dumb not knowing is what is the difference between the ground balance and soil mineralization. I read posts that compare the 2 but I can't understand the comparison. For instance I'll have a site that ground balances in upper 60s or more and immediately think it's fairly hot ground but there are no Fe bars showing. Another site will ground balance in the low to mid 50s with 3 or 4 Fe bars showing. How do the 2 relate, or do they?
Here's to a good laugh smileys with beer
Re: What's the difference
February 15, 2019 02:34PM
Here you go Bill. Pay particular attention to go-rebels and Steve Herschbach’s comments in this thread. Also remember ground phase numbers can work backwards too on some models, like Minelab EQX series Detectors. Think about this. The Fisher F7x series Detectors. If ground phase was a good way to judge mineralization why would Fisher engineers added minerals strength meter indicating strength by bars Indicated? Same question applied to Xp and the Deus. It too displays Ground phase and has a mineral strength meter. (As long as a person has remote).
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2019 02:43PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 15, 2019 02:34PM
Good question.

I’m not laughing, inquiring readers like to know...

Aaron
February 16, 2019 01:44AM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that the ground phase is the ferrous/conductive ratio or "TID" of the ground and that the mineralization bars indicate the amount of mineralization. You'll notice that if you try to ground grab over iron the ground phase drops. Soil with lots of iron trash would then give a low phase number with high bars of mineralization.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2019 01:57AM by dgerst.
February 16, 2019 02:43AM
Good read here and video too.
[www.minelab.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2019 02:48AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 19, 2019 05:16PM
yes dgert