Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Off topic Health question for us older guys

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Off topic Health question for us older guys
February 20, 2019 06:13PM
How many out there are doing the Keto diet? I lost 35 lbs but more importantly dropped My Bp 20 points. I am off Bp Meds now as it was at stroke levels. It is more a Lifestyle than a diet. Can even cure some Type II diabetes. It's also good for Cancer as it feeds off sugar.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 06:20PM by Harold,ILL..
Re: Off topic Health question for us older guys
February 20, 2019 06:42PM
Not on the Keto diet,but have heard good things about it----I have found,over the years, that the only thing that works for me is to just about quit eating--LOL very difficult to do as I luv good country cooking.This morning I weighed 213---7 lbs less than when I was a SEC linebacker ----59 years ago.
February 20, 2019 07:14PM
Lost about 60 lbs. since June eating low carb diet
February 20, 2019 07:52PM
Keto is just a short term gimmick diet.
Not good for you long term.

Just drop all the processed and fried foods and eat Whole Foods.
Whole grains, beans, seeds, nuts fruits and vegetables.

Limit meat as much as possible accept maybe some fish.
You won’t have to count calories or starve.

It’s the added sugars, flour and bad oils that are killing us.
If you have to buy something in a box or can, read the actual ingredient labels.
Not what it says on the front of the package. You will probably be shocked.

Some people think 100% fruit juice is healthy. It is processed and is no different to your body then drinking a soda pop.
Same with Whole Wheat flour.. it’s slightly better then white flour but still processed and is like eating sugar.
February 20, 2019 08:30PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How many out there are doing the Keto diet? I lost
> 35 lbs but more importantly dropped My Bp 20 point
> s. I am off Bp Meds now as it was at stroke levels
> . It is more a Lifestyle than a diet. Can even cur
> e some Type II diabetes. It's also good for Cancer
> as it feeds off sugar.

Good going Harold. What percentages were you on ?

El
February 20, 2019 08:31PM
Texan Wrote:
> Lost about 60 lbs. since June eating low carb diet

Amazing results. Congrats

Which program were you using.

El
February 20, 2019 08:32PM
Won't work for me as 40 yr diabetic...heck should be dead by now.....Renal doc put me on a additive to cleanse blood and keep me off Dyalysis and I put on 20 lbs in a month.
Had Fistula put in left arm 3 yrs ago and renal doc said I had about a year left till dialysis so its working even though I have to get blood every few months as poor kidney function don't produce red blood cells...not happy with weight gain but it beats dialysis...
February 20, 2019 08:49PM
Elbert I was doing about 70% fat 25% protein 5% Carbs. Now that I am close to goal weight I have added a little more Carbs but still no more than 50 grams a day. I
do a cheat meal a week. This is only diet where I am not hungry all day as the fat keeps You full believe it or not. Carbs are the addicting macro as when You eat them You are hungry an hour later. Its also what calcifies your arteries. Ask any diabetic how bad carbs are. This is what worked for Me as the low fat diet just never worked in My case as everyone is different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 08:51PM by Harold,ILL..
February 20, 2019 09:14PM
This article pertains to diabetes but also holds true for blood pressure, cancer, etc.
I’ve been studying this stuff for 20 years. You will not find a better source then Dr. Mirkin on healthy diet and fitness.
I have seen the mainstream just now starting to talk about what he has been writing for the last 10 years or more.

[www.drmirkin.com]
February 20, 2019 09:20PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> How many out there are doing the Keto diet? I lost
> 35 lbs but more importantly dropped My Bp 20 point
> s. I am off Bp Meds now as it was at stroke levels
> . It is more a Lifestyle than a diet. Can even cur
> e some Type II diabetes. It's also good for Cancer
> as it feeds off sugar.

I have been on keto for over 2 years. I did a lot of research before starting on it, and have done more in depth study during these 2+ years. I dropped 80 pounds on keto and have been in the best shape of my entire life, including taking up half-marathon running since I don't have all that extra weight.

Congrats on your success and getting off meds. Its a benefit in fighting SOME cancers, but not all forms are sugar dependent.

Despite what some people say, keto is NOT a fad, its not dangerous, its not a gimmick. Low-carb is a traditional way of eating. Having a diet filled with grains and sugar is an invention of modern society, just like rampant morbid obesity. The low carb diet has been around for a long time. The elimination of carbs was the original treatment for diabetes before insulin became available. You can live your entire life without carbs. You can live your entire life with meat. you CAN NOT live your life without fat. The only organ in your body which requires blood glucose is your brain and guess what, your body CREATES all the sugar it needs for brain functions from proteins though gluconeogenesis.
February 20, 2019 09:54PM
It seems you are right not much is good for you period. If the salt dont get you the meat or sugar will. Hey....... but on the bright side they got a pill for about anything now days lol. So, as a meat-a-terian .... i get up in the morning take my cholesterol meds and have a steak. A comedian once said..... he heard it takes 10 years off your life...... he said so what those are the worst years anyway. Im pretty lucky thus far at 67 to be in pretty good shape and health.
February 20, 2019 10:05PM
I have found that just stopping eating after 6:00 PM (no calories at all...just water) until the next days meal around 7:00 AM or later, works in cutting down the belly.

Seems that over night fasting of 12-14 hours starts to kick in the belly fat burning. Hard to do at first but it gets easier.

Or course everyone is different and some people may need some calories prior to bed for other reasons.
February 20, 2019 11:00PM
My wife got her books. You hust have to try some of her recipes, they are soo good.

There is one it tastes just like a hash brown, bacon and egg breakfast.....

[ohsheglows.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 20, 2019 11:12PM
A comedian once said..... he heard it takes 10 years off your life......so what those are the worst years anyway!

That’s hilarious!

Aaron
February 20, 2019 11:19PM
This gal here was peddling her BS.
I noticed she was big as a bear.
So figured it was a hoax what she was peddling.
[www.stylecraze.com]
February 20, 2019 11:19PM
Being elderly with HBP you should consult your doctor. Be safe and educate yourself.
February 20, 2019 11:40PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> This gal here was peddling her BS.
> I noticed she was big as a bear.
> So figured it was a hoax what she was peddling.
> [www.stylecraze.com]-
> weight-loss/

Yeah, Kirstie Alley played in Star Trek,,,,, in 1982!

Now, everything looks a little big....

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 12:17AM by Aaron.
February 21, 2019 01:05AM
silverfiend Wrote:
>> Despite what some people say, keto is NOT a fad, i
> ts not dangerous, its not a gimmick. Low-carb is
> a traditional way of eating. Having a diet filled
> with grains and sugar is an invention of modern so
> ciety, just like rampant morbid obesity. The low
> carb diet has been around for a long time. The el
> imination of carbs was the original treatment for
> diabetes before insulin became available. You can
> live your entire life without carbs. You can live
> your entire life with meat. you CAN NOT live your
> life without fat. The only organ in your body whi
> ch requires blood glucose is your brain and guess
> what, your body CREATES all the sugar it needs for
> brain functions from proteins though gluconeogenes
> is.

I’m all for restricting Processed Carbohydrates.. Those are the ones that are killing us.
There is no need to restrict carbohydrates in their whole form though.
Your body reacts to whole carbohydrates much different then processed carbs and are needed for the proper gut biome.

Keto diets work for quick results but are not healthy for the long term and can actually be dangerous for some people.
It’s way more complex then most people realize.. It comes down to the gut biome which I don’t have the time or space
to go into detail about. This information has been out there awhile but is just now starting to trickle in to the main stream..
You will start hearing about it more in the near future.

[www.drmirkin.com]

[www.drmirkin.com]
February 21, 2019 07:01AM
hot damn! soo! many folks walking' around,fat as can be!..hell's a fire just roll us down the rud!
seems like we all tryin' to croak ourselves!..what the f**k everybody got a death wish?..when you age,ya gotta "fight " it!
obesity will slowly crush the life out of ya!.i gotta "push" myself every day to do the right thing! exercise and eat proper.."find the resolve" do it! you really can! push yourself! 'fight it" i pray too!.it seems to help me,and makes me feel stronger! ..it really works! ..god bless all!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 07:03AM by jmaryt.
February 21, 2019 12:41PM
Check out "Dr. Eric Berg" on Y- tube, has helped my family tremendously with his advise.
February 21, 2019 01:56PM
Los Alamos Wrote:
> Check out "Dr. Eric Berg" on Y- tube, has helped m
> y family tremendously with his advise.

Yes I watch His videos all the time. He is against Big Pharma and their pushing of Meds. He is a real Doctor too so He knows what He is talking about.
Dr. Ken D. Berry is another good one on YouTube.
They preach the truth on Big Pharma and the Medical establishment.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 02:01PM by Harold,ILL..
February 21, 2019 03:48PM
America is the only country that adds sugar to damn near everything we consume, it's amazing how much sugar is in things you wouldn't think it should be.

I've read that a piece of pizza is as addictive as crack - the sauce is loaded with sugar, the dough is loaded with sugar and many ot the meat toppings are also loaded with sugar. A few years ago I was doing the Body for Life program, eating very clean, it's a real eye opener once you start reading the ingredients on everything that you eat. Sadly we live in a world of ultra processed, engineered high carb/sugar food products.
February 21, 2019 04:06PM
A veterinarians opinion
[www.ebay.com]
February 21, 2019 05:51PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> America is the only country that adds sugar to dam
> n near everything we consume, it's amazing how muc
> h sugar is in things you wouldn't think it should
> be.
>
> I've read that a piece of pizza is as addictive as
> crack - the sauce is loaded with sugar, the dough
> is loaded with sugar and many ot the meat toppings
> are also loaded with sugar. A few years ago I wa
> s doing the Body for Life program, eating very cle
> an, it's a real eye opener once you start reading
> the ingredients on everything that you eat. Sadly
> we live in a world of ultra processed, engineered
> high carb/sugar food products.

Yep, until you start examining the nutritional label and ingredient list of EVERYTHING you don't realize how extensively sugar, wheat, rice and corn are added ingredients into almost everything. The standard American diet has produced a nation of obese people who are taking multiple pills to combat the effects of their diet.
February 21, 2019 06:12PM
I have been doing zero carb for 7 months and lost 40 lbs. My father used to say if you haven't tried it don't knock it! I have had tons of well meaning people say very critical things about it. I've listened to both sides and looked for bias and opinion vs citation of studies (verify it really applies) and life experience. I have source checked and I am very comfortable with my choice. I've not felt better and suffered none of the ill effects commonly associated with high protein diets. My regular blood tests are excellent and I am staying on top of my health. I take vitamins and drink lots of water...

Back to detecting...?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
February 21, 2019 06:55PM
More and more doctors are putting their patients on lifestyle changing diets that often have the Keto formula to it...low carb, no processed foods, no flour/wheat, sugar, etc but eating foods high in protein and fiber.

I started it in November and am down 4 belt holes. Was in a size 40 pants, and about needing to go to 42s. I had to go buy a couple pairs of 38s and now those will fall off me if I don't use a belt. It is a huge eye opener going to the store and reading the labels. And you have to stay on top of it and preplan for the next meal. It's all too easy and cheap to go to the fast food joints and get a quick bite....vs coming home and grilling a salmon fillet or something like that.
February 21, 2019 10:16PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> America is the only country that adds sugar to dam
> n near everything we consume, it's amazing how muc
> h sugar is in things you wouldn't think it should
> be.
>
> I've read that a piece of pizza is as addictive as
> crack - the sauce is loaded with sugar, the dough
> is loaded with sugar and many ot the meat toppings
> are also loaded with sugar. A few years ago I wa
> s doing the Body for Life program, eating very cle
> an, it's a real eye opener once you start reading
> the ingredients on everything that you eat. Sadly
> we live in a world of ultra processed, engineered
> high carb/sugar food products.

this is "dead nuts" accurate! ..the objective is to make "everything" taste good,so you will "buy" more! a "death" spiral,for sure!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 10:19PM by jmaryt.
February 22, 2019 01:07AM
silverfiend Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > America is the only country that adds sugar to d
> am
> > n near everything we consume, it's amazing how m
> uc
> > h sugar is in things you wouldn't think it shoul
> d
> > be.
> >
> > I've read that a piece of pizza is as addictive
> as
> > crack - the sauce is loaded with sugar, the doug
> h
> > is loaded with sugar and many ot the meat toppin
> gs
> > are also loaded with sugar. A few years ago I
> wa
> > s doing the Body for Life program, eating very c
> le
> > an, it's a real eye opener once you start readin
> g
> > the ingredients on everything that you eat. Sadl
> y
> > we live in a world of ultra processed, engineere
> d
> > high carb/sugar food products.
>
> Yep, until you start examining the nutritional lab
> el and ingredient list of EVERYTHING you don't rea
> lize how extensively sugar, wheat, rice and corn a
> re added ingredients into almost everything. The
> standard American diet has produced a nation of ob
> ese people who are taking multiple pills to combat
> the effects of their diet.

It's a well designed system - produce engineered food products with the cheapest elements available (rice, flour, corn, etc). Sugar addicts you to all this crap, so you buy more and more of it. The fallout of these 21st century engineered food products is going to be catastrophic to the U.S. in regards to health care, insurance costs, etc.

Have to admit, it's tough to pass all that crap, but not impossible.
February 22, 2019 01:50AM
Eating properly is only half the answer. Elevating your heart rate with exercise is just as important.

One thing I found useful is a Fitbit. It monitors my sleep. It is more accurate than I ever thought it would be. It counts my steps every day. How many times i go up steps. It monitors my heart rate exercising and resting. All important numbers to monitor for fitness goals.

Eating healthy and reading labels is essential. It was an education for me. So much garbage out there. Watch the carbs.

Another thing I learned....Watch your poop. It can tell you quite a bit about your health.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 01:53AM by goodmore.
February 22, 2019 03:28AM
correct! ''stool" color is paramount!
doctors indicate,a nice "brown" color is desired.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2019 03:29AM by jmaryt.