Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

THE LONG AWAITED CZ3D

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
THE LONG AWAITED CZ3D
February 27, 2019 02:03AM
Here it is...CZ3D TEST
Re: THE LONG AWAITED CZ3D
February 27, 2019 02:56AM
Good video Calabash.

Couple things from me.

Remember that enhanced mode is supposed to make SOME older coins hit as a high tone that may normally hit as a mid tone. Can't remember what specific coins Tom D was targeting (I think Shield and V nickels, some Indian heads, $5 gold coin). A lot of areas up in the North East where I hunt are old picnic groves/church groves, with not a lot of iron but a lot of older coins. That is where the CZ3D can make a difference. Since I dig all mid and high tones in those areas, a 3D doesn't give me an advantage over my trusty 6a.

I agree 100% with you when you say for your neck of the woods the older coins are in with iron and older home sites and that unit is not the best one to use. As always, horses for courses and the environment you hunt should dictate the machine/coil combo to use.

The CZ3D you are using is pretty well tuned, so that was a good test. That 5 inch dime next to iron...I would dig that target. I would circle around it and if I am in an area where I know there are old coins, that mid-high tone bounce would be dug. With that concentric coil, it's always a good idea to hit a target like that from multiple angles. CZ's can sometimes 'clean up' a target using that tactic. At this point in my career using CZ's, I don't look at the ID on those machines at all. If I can slowly isolate a target, use the VCO pin point to hone in on it and make slow, short sweeps and get high tones for the most part, I dig.

Wonder how the unit would do in regular mode as opposed to enhanced on that target.

Looked like that new unit from XP is nice. It was hitting that dime/iron target with mid ID numbers a bunch too but the tone was sweet. That target is a really good test target. Bottom line on that dime/iron target...I would have dug it with all 3 units in the field if I was hunting an older spot known for old coins. I have dug many silver coins that had a bit of iron in the hole that way. Of course, I have dug iron only in those scenarios as well !

Knew the CZ would not do too well on that gold coin. Wonder if it would make a peep in all metal.

That 705...what frequency coil did you have on it ? Just wondering. Also, what's the freq on the new XP ? Haven't researched much. Does it have the same freq options as the Deus ?

Thanks for taking the time to test out those units.

Nice surprise seeing that 705. I like using mine with the LF 9 inch concentric for silver coin hunting. It does have some nice features to it and you can find some on the classifieds like new at bargain prices.
February 27, 2019 03:11AM
Good video Calabash.
That dime being somewhat masked by nails.
Yeah CZ was giving clues.
But based on ORX performance, looks like to me the dime could be masked more than you had it set up and ORX would hit. And CZ would fizzle.

The mistake some make drawing conclusions on one or a few target scenarios,

CZ does though ID more accurately deeper than ORX it seems. I know by looking at your vid it IDs deeper than Deus. All the coils I have tried including the new x35.

X- terra looks like a fun detector for what they cost. I am assuming you were using a lower freq coil on it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 03:13AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 27, 2019 03:23AM
I need to plant some junk in the near future to see how machines react to it too. That will be a project for the near future. I will run the iron test elevated on the 5 inch silver dime tomorrow...
February 27, 2019 03:50AM
CZs, Etrac, CTX etc are the best at hunting deep old coins in older parks and neighborhoods. Some old cities the houses date back to the late 1800s. Parks dating back to the mid 1800s. These places have had 150+ years of modern trash like beaver tails, pull tabs, etc discarded all over the place.
The ID at depth on a CZ is way better than a Deus. If you were going to go to one of these old parks to hunt old coins your chances go way up with the CZ. It IDs nickels like buffalos, shields etc way better than the Deus. Deep coins 8+ in bounce between coin and iron. More coin hits than iron I'm digging.
Don't get me wrong, I have had the Deus also since 2013 and love it for relic hunting but I would choose the CZ and day for going to an old park to hunt old nickels or silver.
Depends on how much time you want to spend chasing trash also. CZs are very accurate and if you just want to dig the high tones, coin and nickel you will find a lot of coins.
You asked why we use them. Old coins and lots of them. ID at depth is everything to an old coin hunter.
February 27, 2019 05:11AM
OK, I broke down and watched the relevant minutes of this video and then some.

Calabash, on another thread you said your buddy says this unit was calibrated by Tom Dankowski. If that's the case there should be a sticker on the detector and for quite a few years Tom has been putting his mild Florida dirt depth to the tenth inch on that sticker as well as a 1-10 number for both stability and ID at depth. The detector should also have a report detailing numerous parameters before and after his calibration.

Why is this important? Because there can be a HUGE variance between proper and improper cz-3d's. From the hottest to the coldest of Tom's depth numbers that I've seen, there is a variance of over 4 inches!

Also, multiple ID parameters that are not "design intent" on untuned by Tom detectors are the rule, not the exception.

I didn't see any sign of this being a Tom tuned unit, but I did skip through several minutes of the video so if the validation sticker was shown, please correct me.

And before you say it, Calabash, I'll agree with you. This severe unit-to-unit variation (and the extra cost of Tom's calibration/verification) is a legitimate reason not to buy a new cz-3d or an unverified used one.

Without knowing more about the specific unit you are using here, this video tells me no more about a proper cz-3d than your "Cibola can't detect a quarter on top of the ground" video told me about a proper Cibola.
February 27, 2019 05:35AM
Here’s a Tom D calibrated/ verified unit in I believe Craig says 2 bars f75 indicated ground. Same 8” coil.

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 05:36AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 27, 2019 09:56AM
Good video. The CZ did alright but the ORX was definitely the king in the test. I'll be getting my ORX today in the mail I'm going to test it on my 10" dime in 3-4 bar mineralized ground to see if it will hit it. The CZ'S I've had wouldn't get it even with the. 10 1/2 coil on it. The only 2 machines that would hit it is a T2 Classic with a brisk sweep speed and a Fisher 1270 with the internal ground balance tweaked on the disc side. Calabash you got any settings recommendations for the ORX?
February 27, 2019 12:44PM
How come you don't move around the target a little like would be done in a real hunt scenario?

Each time you check the targets with a different machine, you are approaching the targets from a slightly different angle. You need to adjust the angle of approach while swinging to make sure each machine has an equal chance. Not a lot, 90 degrees at most.

Do it as if you were hunting. You wouldn't just stand in one place if you were actually hunting. You would adjust the angle of your swing slightly to see if you could get the target to sound better and get more information of what the target might be.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 01:45PM by Badger in NH.
February 27, 2019 01:28PM
I I talked to him last night and he said it did have a sticker on it at one time. He gave the machine to his daughter and he said she must have took it off. I almost replicated the SAME test results as Craig did in his vido tha TN posted above... His was a tuned one also...

marcomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, I broke down and watched the relevant minutes
> of this video and then some.
>
> Calabash, on another thread you said your buddy sa
> ys this unit was calibrated by Tom Dankowski. If t
> hat's the case there should be a sticker on the de
> tector and for quite a few years Tom has been putt
> ing his mild Florida dirt depth to the tenth inch
> on that sticker as well as a 1-10 number for both
> stability and ID at depth. The detector should als
> o have a report detailing numerous parameters befo
> re and after his calibration.
>
> Why is this important? Because there can be a HUGE
> variance between proper and improper cz-3d's. From
> the hottest to the coldest of Tom's depth numbers
> that I've seen, there is a variance of over 4 inch
> es!
>
> Also, multiple ID parameters that are not "design
> intent" on untuned by Tom detectors are the rule,
> not the exception.
>
> I didn't see any sign of this being a Tom tuned un
> it, but I did skip through several minutes of the
> video so if the validation sticker was shown, plea
> se correct me.
>
> And before you say it, Calabash, I'll agree with y
> ou. This severe unit-to-unit variation (and the ex
> tra cost of Tom's calibration/verification) is a l
> egitimate reason not to buy a new cz-3d or an unve
> rified used one.
>
> Without knowing more about the specific unit you a
> re using here, this video tells me no more about a
> proper cz-3d than your "Cibola can't detect a quar
> ter on top of the ground" video told me about a pr
> oper Cibola.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 01:37PM by calabash digger.
February 27, 2019 01:32PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Here’s a Tom D calibrated/ verified unit in I beli
> eve Craig says 2 bars f75 indicated ground. Same
> 8” coil.
>
> [m.youtube.com]

SAME results I had...…...
February 27, 2019 01:34PM
Good video. I was out yesterday at a old pounded to death park with my CZ-5 and found several coin spills. Most detectors would call a coin spill with a quarter, a nickel and a zinc penny trash, but my CZ calls it a coin, so I dig. Those spills could have just as easily have been a Barber quarter, a IH penny, and a V Nickel.

tabman
February 27, 2019 01:35PM
88junior Wrote:
> Good video. The CZ did alright but the ORX was def
> initely the king in the test. I'll be getting my O
> RX today in the mail I'm going to test it on my 10
> " dime in 3-4 bar mineralized ground to see if it
> will hit it. The CZ'S I've had wouldn't get it eve
> n with the. 10 1/2 coil on it. The only 2 ma
> chines that would hit it is a T2 Classic with a br
> isk sweep speed and a Fisher 1270 with the interna
> l ground balance tweaked on the disc side. Calabas
> h you got any settings recommendations for the ORX
> ?
Orx is really straight forward , GB and then you can change the reactivity. If depth is your thing coin deep with a reativity of one. What coil did you buy?
February 27, 2019 01:41PM
tabman Wrote:
> Good video. I was out yesterday at a old pounded t
> o death park with my CZ-5 and found several coin s
> pills. Most detectors would call a coin spill with
> a quarter, a nickel and a zinc penny trash, but my
> CZ calls it a coin, so I dig. Those spills could h
> ave just as easily have been a Barber quarter, a I
> H penny, and a V Nickel.
>
> tabman

Tabman I know your a expert coin shooter so please tell me what it's weakness is ? Does the I D get tricked on deep iron, trash ,etc? Does it even have a weakness?
February 27, 2019 02:12PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> tabman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Good video. I was out yesterday at a old pounded
> t
> > o death park with my CZ-5 and found several coin
> s
> > pills. Most detectors would call a coin spill wi
> th
> > a quarter, a nickel and a zinc penny trash, but
> my
> > CZ calls it a coin, so I dig. Those spills could
> h
> > ave just as easily have been a Barber quarter, a
> I
> > H penny, and a V Nickel.
> >
> > tabman
>
> Tabman I know your a expert coin shooter so please
> tell me what it's weakness is ? Does the I D get t
> ricked on deep iron, trash ,etc? Does it even have
> a weakness?

I'm no expert with the CZ, I can tell you that for sure. I've only had a few hunts out in the field with it, so you'd be better off asking Wegund that same question. I do know that one of the strong points of a CZ is its ability to find old nickels. I haven't got that one figured out yet, I keep digging a bunch of beaver tails. So far I've figured out that it handles EMI great, it's good at finding coin spills, it goes deep and is fun to use. I chest mount mine so weight isn't a problem. In just a few hunts using the CZ, I've found 2 Barbers at pounded to death parks. I'm talking about the big open area near the lake at Overton Park. Everyone and his bother has hit that big open area hundreds of times, including myself. So, the CZ has made a believer out of me.

tabman
February 27, 2019 02:49PM
First off I can tell just by looking at the knobs and cheaper arm cup it's a New model. That's why I asked earlier what it was calibrated at on a dime. And Yes it makes a lot of difference. A 11" or less Detector will not hit the same depth as a 12" Detector just common sense. Ask Your Friend as that is the main question. Tom has a DVD of a calibrated CZ in His mild ground easily hitting a 12" dime. So maybe You need to watch His DVD because I know You don't believe Me.
Tom keeps records also of all the CZs He has calibrated so I am sure He can come up with it if Your Friend don't remember. That's something I would remember it's just one number.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 02:55PM by Harold,ILL..
February 27, 2019 02:55PM
Now just go out and hunt with it as experience is the best teacher....been using CZ's since my original CZ6 in 92...not a complicated unit to use but time in the field will make you a believer...After all these years now and then learn something new even if its a small nuance...Hard to replicate articles buried for a hundred years but should give you ballpark results. Not a fan of the CZ3D but like therover who prefers his CZ6A feel the CZ5 has gotten me my best finds including two large cents from the late 1700's and a diamond ring with 12 diamonds but once you get over digging those blasted rusty nails am sure you will become a believer also...
February 27, 2019 02:55PM
Both my CZs are Tom tuned, 11.9 and 11.0 bit to be honest both will hit an 8 or 9 in dime easily so I don't feel I losing much using one over the other.
They are by far the best old nickel hunters like Vs,sheild and buffs you can get. I love old nickel hunting and will specifically go our to hunt them and will come home with 1 to 3 a day etc.
It's modulation at depth is some of the best out there. I usually set my volume at 1 or 2 because shallow targets will blow your ears off. I listen for the soft high tones and bypass all the shallow so as to save time from digging clad.
Now, digging deep old nails can be a pita at first for people learning the machune but once you get a hang of the way to use it that will slow down also.
If I get a deep soft high tone that is repeating with an occasional iron tone I will pinpoint it and sweep it again. If I continue to get a high tone I turn 90 degrees on the pinpoint and sweep it again. If I continue to get high tones with occasional iron grunts I will dig unless the tone is to "tinky" is what I call it then it's usually a deep nail. Good luck on your hunts!
February 27, 2019 03:33PM
Here’s a little something that I received a while back from Dave Johnson - the guy who designed the CZ.

“one of the mysteries of the CZ platform is despite all those tweaker pots some of which are very "touchy", once tweaked up properly they seem to stay in good tweak darn near forever.

Iron ID on the CZ is single frequency, so you can expect to get hits on a lot of deep iron. The tipoff that it's iron is that as you X the target, coins and rings will tend to ID the same regardless of sweep direction whereas iron will tend to jump around.

Although not very hot on little stuff, they're very good on nickels all the way up to the high conductivity coins. In salt mode it's dead on little stuff, as you'd expect. But it'll knock out salt water a helluvalot better than most PI's.”

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
February 27, 2019 05:22PM
Just a thought: One of you guys that have those validated super muscle 12 inch+ CZs send one down to C.D. and let him do a video with it and then send it back. If I had one, it wouldn't bother me to send it out. Especially you northern guys that were just going on not long ago about being stuck in the house and not able to detect due to the weather and ground conditions. As tough as ya'll say they are, surely they can survive a road trip and back in a padded shipping box. Since he currently has a CZ in hand, all he would need is the control box.

When they start moving dirt on my bullet place, I'm gonna contribute to the C.D test garden and send him a tub of the dirt from there.
February 27, 2019 05:25PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Here’s a little something that I received a while
> back from Dave Johnson - the guy who designed the
> CZ.
>
> “one of the mysteries of the CZ platform is des
> pite all those tweaker pots some of which are very
> "touchy", once tweaked up properly they seem to st
> ay in good tweak darn near forever.
>

I can attest to that fact. My original CZ6a works the exact same way today as the day I bought it...when it first came to market.

Been through the ringer 100 times over, salt water beaches, dropped on concrete floor/sidewalk multiple times.

I just like the platform, the simplicity, the stability and the results it gives me on every hunt I use it.
February 27, 2019 05:26PM
Daniel why can't they just watch Toms DVD as it shows all You need to know? I Will take Toms word over His won't You?
February 27, 2019 06:02PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Daniel why can't they just watch Toms DVD as it sh
> ows all You need to know? I Will take Toms word ov
> er His won't You?

Absolutely not. I will take ALL sources of information...and then come to a conclusion. To do otherwise is willfully ignorant.

No matter what CZ gets sent...there will always be ONE that is 1/16th better...once...somewhere....because it was talked about in some forum....some years ago....

Like Daniel says...one of you fanboys box it up and get it sent already. Tom has better things to do than looking through old notes to settle this.

This whole "it has to be a Tom tuned" thing has become a joke. End it already by getting one sent...with the damn sticker.

I mean like...wow...a 2018 detector is beating 20+ year old tech. This is what we challenge and find shocking? Bonkers....

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 06:04PM by TheHunterGT.
February 27, 2019 06:13PM
Why not as Tom DVD is the real deal? I only have 2 Detectors and am not sending My best one to someone I barley know. I know what it can do as dug coins over 11" with it in My moderate ground. I have No reason to lie.
That CZ is not up to snuff. It may have been calibrated but I would be shocked if it is even a 11" one. Tom has everything on file in a computer It would seem I am sure He would not mind.
February 27, 2019 06:14PM
I will pay the shipping BOTH ways..
February 27, 2019 06:17PM
No way Brother. Maybe someone else on here as there a few on here.
February 27, 2019 06:28PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Why not as Tom DVD is the real deal? I only have 2
> Detectors and am not sending My best one to someon
> e I barley know. I know what it can do as dug coin
> s over 11" with it in My moderate ground. I have N
> o reason to lie.
> That CZ is not up to snuff. It may have been calib
> rated but I would be shocked if it is even a 11" o
> ne. Tom has everything on file in a computer It wo
> uld seem I am sure He would not mind.

How is his DVD the "real deal" and CD's video is not?

Tom has to open up 20 year tech...fiddle with it...scope it....test it....sticker it...and by golly it better say 12+ on it!. ONLY THEN...will it be the proper version.

What about all the 10.5 and 11's he put his name on. His very own seal of approval. Nope...CD has to go get the top 1% or whatever. Always a "better one" somewhere.

Do you know how batshit crazy that sounds? It never ends...ever.

Pulling the "I'm not sending mine to a stranger" card after all your big talk. That is what is holding you back? Fear of CD ruining your detector? Or fear of CD "ruining" your detector?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 06:29PM by TheHunterGT.
February 27, 2019 07:07PM
Obviously You know nothing about CZs as the original first run CZ-3Ds were all calibrated to 12" or close too that. The company was in a Bad way financially so quality control in the calibration procedure started to slip. So these are not the top 1% but the standard that was set.
February 27, 2019 08:58PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Obviously You know nothing about CZs as the origin
> al first run CZ-3Ds were all calibrated to 12" or
> close too that. The company was in a Bad way finan
> cially so quality control in the calibration proce
> dure started to slip. So these are not the top 1%
> but the standard that was set.

Yeah man...I just toured the factory...met Dave and John...ate food with them....was sponsored by them for 2 years....have seen the past-present-future...test their upcoming products.

Just some new-school idiot...you got me pegged Harold...where is Los Banos again? Mexico...right?

February 27, 2019 09:04PM
You said it I didn't. Ask Dave J. about the calibration procedure. He knew it was a issue after He left the company.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2019 09:05PM by Harold,ILL..