Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

the tired old T2

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
the tired old T2
March 01, 2019 05:47PM

The t2 may be old but it ain't as tired as some folks think.This is the last couple short hunts between the rain storms and running Grandaddy Day Care.
Stock coil. Mostly running 99 sen. 0 disc. BP mode unless I run into a heavy iron patch. Then I switch to 2a mode. Along with a couple bullets, a iron patch is where the 2 reales and butterfly pln came from. smileys with beer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 06:15PM by Bill long.
Re: the tired old T2
March 01, 2019 05:56PM
Love the reales thumbs down
March 01, 2019 06:45PM
Nice finds and great looking reales. HH jim tn
March 01, 2019 06:53PM
You gonna put that old t-2 out to pasture after that boring lame hunt? Getcha one of those modern high strung stud units.>grinning smiley<
Kidding aside, well done sir.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2019 06:58PM by ozzie.
March 01, 2019 06:55PM
Very nice!

Dean
March 01, 2019 07:56PM
Not going to believe for a minute that they were found with a T2 unless I see the video winking smiley. Nice finds.
March 01, 2019 08:15PM
Dang! I guess You don't need a Mighty Deus or Nox to find the goods after all.
March 01, 2019 08:29PM
A very successful couple of hunts!thumbs down I have a selection of very good units, and have owned a half-dozen different T2 versions, then last month I bought a new T2+ that I am also quite satisfied with. Half the cost, or less, than most of those newer entries that have a wide-array of adjustment features ... most of which I don't need. It looks like we have a short break coming in from our return-of-winter and I ought to be able to get out between now and the 5th. I use the 5" DD on this unit as I did on my former T2's since I am almost always in dense debris, plus I never liked the looks of the 11" BiAxial coil. I am looking for a very clean or new 10" elliptical, however, because I mainly use smaller-than-stock to mid-sized coils.

Due to a return to snow and colder temps at the old sites we like to get into, I haven't been able to work the new T2+ yet in really challenging junk, so I am very eager. We don't have stuff here in the far Eastern Oregon region quite as old as you're able to find, so it's great to see the types of recoveries you and others get to make where you're hunting.

Best of success on your next trip afield with the 'old technology' detector. grinning smiley

Monte
March 01, 2019 10:32PM
Good goin Bill me boy!thumbs down
March 01, 2019 11:31PM
Nice haul, but you know someone will come along and tell you how many more goodies you'd have found with a "good" machine.
March 02, 2019 02:59AM
T2 kills - if Keith objects to my quoting some of his stuff - I’m sure he will tell me.

Keith Southern is no fool - anybody dispute that???? Here’s what he has said recently about the current T2+

[www.detectorprospector.com]

then there’s his take on the T2 Classic - old tech - bite me!

[www.findmall.com]

It’s great to be enthused about new detectors - many of them are innovative and useful. I have (or have had) several of them including everybody’s darlings - XP Deus, Nox (missed the Makro ones - except using a Kruzer which belonged to a friend). NIce machines - obseleting all which have gone before - I doubt it.

Our hobby involves putting extremely weak electromagnetic signals into an endlessly variable ground matrix with various metallic inhclusions - targets and junk. the resulting millivolt level signals are processed by analog or digital means to produce a user signal. The desired outcome is a “Change of state” in the user to cause them to dig and recover the hoped for treasure.

Pretty iffy stuff. If radar were this hard, modern air defense would be impossible - everything would be stealthy.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 03:10AM by lytle78.
March 02, 2019 03:20AM
Follow up. One of my neighbors is the product lead for a defense company who is responsible for a lot of extremely high tech radio frequency stuff, He personally designed the various antennas on the Patriot missle. Smart guy. When we recently cleaned out our house, I sold him my bits from scuds shot down over Riyadh in the gulf War by patriots - we saw it happen - and at first light after every attack, we were late for work after spending hours scouring the desert for Scud parts. A pal got a whole rocket engine which made a fabulous glass coffee table.

But I digress.... our silly hobby make demands on technology and physics as tough as intercepting incoming ballistic missle at Mach 8 (or whatever). The difference is that my neighbor works with a team of hundreds of highly paid engineers and not a few PhD physicists to sort all that out. A thin gold ring in mineralized soil with flakes and bits of iron around is every bit as tough a target as an incoming warhead - maybe tougher - and the team whose job is to discover, deconflict/discriminate and report the target is a couple of folks working in a small business with annual sales a tiny fraction of any of the aerospace or defense giants.

Rick Kempf
March 02, 2019 05:19AM
The t2 and f75 are still the kings in my book. I have been detecting for 20+ years and have seen nothing that will stop me from using them. FT can't even top them yet and that's why they just add to them. These new machines that ID everything deep at 99 or jump everywhere and fall apart don't impress me.
March 02, 2019 05:33AM
Nice finds Bill. That T2 was on fire.
March 02, 2019 05:57AM
Bill long Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
>
>
> The t2 may be old but it ain't as tired as some fo
> lks think.This is the last couple short hunts betw
> een the rain storms and running Grandaddy Day Care
> .
> Stock coil. Mostly running 99 sen. 0 disc. BP mode
> unless I run into a heavy iron patch. Then I switc
> h to 2a mode. Along with a couple bullets, a iron
> patch is where the 2 reales and butterfly pln came
> from. smileys with beer

outrageous reales!..fine!
t2 in "beast" mode!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 06:37AM by jmaryt.
March 02, 2019 06:34AM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Follow up. One of my neighbors is the product lea
> d for a defense company who is responsible for a l
> ot of extremely high tech radio frequency stuff,
> He personally designed the various antennas on the
> Patriot missle. Smart guy. When we recently clean
> ed out our house, I sold him my bits from scuds sh
> ot down over Riyadh in the gulf War by patriots -
> we saw it happen - and at first light after every
> attack, we were late for work after spending hours
> scouring the desert for Scud parts. A pal got a w
> hole rocket engine which made a fabulous glass cof
> fee table.
>
> But I digress.... our silly hobby make demands on
> technology and physics as tough as intercepting in
> coming ballistic missle at Mach 8 (or whatever).
> The difference is that my neighbor works with a t
> eam of hundreds of highly paid engineers and not a
> few PhD physicists to sort all that out. A thin g
> old ring in mineralized soil with flakes and bits
> of iron around is every bit as tough a target as a
> n incoming warhead - maybe tougher - and the team
> whose job is to discover, deconflict/discriminate
> and report the target is a couple of folks working
> in a small business with annual sales a tiny fract
> ion of any of the aerospace or defense giants.

retired from raytheon after 33 years assembled patriot radars,and e.c.s. (command posts).also was test technician
testing improved hawk (short range defense),and sidewinder air to air. raytheon was instrumental l in developing ( hit to kill)
technology (bullitt hitting bullitt).patriot was a complete success
in the middle east.scuds travel around 3,000 miles per hour.patriot knocked 'em out of the sky.not one got near israel.
we partnered with "loral" technologies to develop (hit to kill)
missiles hitting missiles incredible (if it flies,it dies).raytheon world leader in defense radars,and weapons systems fortune 20 company ,and respected all over the world...i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 02, 2019 01:29PM
Take a Deus with a HF coil or Equinox and run it back thru that site behind the tired ole T2 and let us know what happens. I have been there and done that …..BTW those are some impressive finds...congrats,
March 02, 2019 03:36PM
Now, I can get on board with that statement CD. But, maybe for different reasons.
For instance, my brother and I have been swinging for 35 years or so and a lot of the time we are using the latest and greatest at the same time. On the same sites , probably not the exact same settings but one of us usually came out well ahead of the other.

Why? Well sometimes that's just the way it goes. I've hunted places and not found squat, go back later and tear it up with the same outfit. Why? Dunno, maybe my mind wasn't in it.
March 02, 2019 04:28PM
First, congrats Bill. The T2 and F75 are both near the top of my favorite units to use to date.

But now I am going to have to chime in on something that was said later on down in the thread by kevinnc.

He said here, and alluded to it in another thread, regarding the stable ID of the F75/T2 against the "99" ID of the Deus in which he was referencing. I don't have a lot of time swinging the Deus but there's no way in the world you can say that I don't have hundreds of hours on the F75/T2. I swung those exclusively from around 2008 to 2012 and then started using it in conjunction with pulse machines. I have had several of them off and on since then; like I said, they are near the top of my favorite units. So with that said, anybody that has had any experience on the F75 and T2 both know they are not the most stable ID machines. They do jump around quite a bit in ID and they DO also shift the ID of non ferrous things into the iron range on non ferrous targets. In fact, this is one of the reasons why the Fisher fanbase has kept the Fisher CZ in production all these years. It is still their #1 detector for coin hunters, while the F75 left its mark for relic hunters. Both relic and coin hunters need to be aware of the ID shift to iron on the F75.

The more severe the ground mineral, the shallower in which it will do it....but be certain that it does it. The catch all ID range for it seems to be 11 to 13 on the F75. In fact, showing that very thing on video was the first video I ever put on YouTube many years ago...probably a decade ago now. There are certain nuances to the audio that can tip a person that what is in the ground may not be iron, despite the ID on the meter. What limited time I've had on the Deus, shows it to be the same way and one of the reasons why Deus people mostly use the remote to change settings with and not for ID. They go by audio.
March 02, 2019 04:31PM
I agree Muddy.

Some one can hunt a site one day with a Deus and HF coil, that night it rains, the next day some one comes along with a CZ, AT-Pro, whatever, and snags a nice find that the guy with the Deus missed. And things DO get missed.

Could have been it was missed because the coil was not swung over it, or because the rain may have washed away something on the surface that masked the target.

A million and one reasons why one unit does well one day, and vice versa. When someone states they will walk right behind another guy and find stuff the guy missed...maybe...maybe not. It is not 100% that they will.

Nothing is 100% in this hobby. From how well a unit works to why someone likes one over the other. Soil conditions, mind set, targets we are after, hunting sites. etc. Lots of wonderful variables.

A hunter can stumble on a virgin site and find tons of old silver coins and relics 2 inches under the soil with a Tesoro Compadre, while a hunter with a Nox 800,Deus HF step, CZ3D, or whatever the flavor of the day is, is struggling to find anything at a site hunted to death. When the videos and pictures come out from both, if the finds are the bottom line in determining which unit is better, can't argue that the Compadre was in that specific set of circumstances.

You can't make blanket statements about any unit when your test environment is in a box with only limited variables to test, when we live/hunt in a world of unlimited variables.

But the tests can validate things within that specific environment and make people aware/informed about how it works within those parameters.

Just speaking from my 35+ years in the software development world. Tests are only as good/valid based on the number of unique test cases performed and the environments you are testing in. More variables and more environments amount to a lot more testing to validate things. Limited variables, limited environment means a limited test.
March 02, 2019 05:16PM
Writing another post because what Muddy and Rover said is 1100% accurate.

Have seen this unfold many times over and at the end of the month, will see it again. I'm talking about the Diggin' in VA relic hunts. The most wide used machine you are going to see people using at those hunts will be a Minelab GPX. No arguments there. I have one myself and wouldn't be caught up there without one. With that said...I have saw many many times over, that people wrongly assumed all they needed was a GPX and then the finds would just start jumping out of the ground into their pouch. While the machine is certainly capable, having the knowledge of how to read a site is probably just as important. Having the right attitude about hunting is equally as important.

Some of the guys just go to the hunt to have fun and to them, it is a yearly get together for friends. The saying comes to mind...I have blood that ain't family, and family that ain't blood. Those people have became their non blood family. Nothing wrong with that but a lot of these guys find very little due to they spend the majority of the time talking, laughing, and taking it easy.

Me, I'm too tight for that. I pay the hunt entry free, spend 8 hours driving to get there, plus my hotel cost, gas money, and food money. I'm going to spend the hunt time hunting and then talk afterwards. LOL. That's just how I am.

If you've been around the hunts as long as I have, you will notice that the really great, once in a lifetime finds are wild card finds. It's just a matter of who gets the coil over those. They can turn up anywhere. But there is an elite group within the group, that at every site they go to, and every hunt they go to, they are always finding more than everybody else. They know how to read a site and how to interpret where stuff was and how to approach hunting it. That's the key ingredients for success. The non successful will always have an excuse and usually blame others for their failure. Just because they have a GPX in their hand doesn't make them successful. I've seen some of those guys think that was all they needed and come out of 3 days hunting on prime property with just a single bullet.
March 02, 2019 05:32PM
What about the Whites TDI for People who don't want to pay a small fortune for a GPX? Or a Garrett Infinium?
Can they still bust threw that Hot Virgina ground?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 05:44PM by Harold,ILL..
March 02, 2019 05:59PM
Harold,

I never been to a DIV hunt, so I am a complete novice when it comes to that, and those that do go (Daniel is one of them), I would yield to their comments.

I think the TDI's and Infiniums did well there when they first came out, and much better than most if not all VLF's.

The GPX's took the next leap and could handle that soil better due to the advanced features, timings, coil options etc. and hence get deeper and have the ability to possibly determine some iron junk vs good stuff better than a TDI or Infinium.

If I were going to invest the time and money and hard work going out to a DIV hunt and had the mindset to hunt 8 hours hard each day, I would go for the GPX because that is a once a year event and I would be putting my all into it. BUT..I would have to know how that GPX operates and have many hours on it, and not think just because I have one, relics will be jumping into my pouch and I will find a privy with all kinds of wonderful stuff.

That being said, I have an Infinium and TDI Beach hunter, and if I had a GPX , would not take that baby to my salt water beach hunts for the simple fact it's not water proof and salt water and salt air will ruin a non-water proof unit fairly quickly if it's not bundled up well. In addition, you can't give non-waterproof units a fresh water bath to get all the salt off of them. I think the GPX would be marginally better on a salt water beach than the other two, but the risk does not out weigh the reward due to the salt water environment.

My Infinium works really well on the salt water beaches I hunt with the big mono coil, and has found me my best target. It's a sleeper PI unit if one takes the time to learn it. Haven't had any time on the beach with my TDI Beach Hunter yet, but testing it out, seems like a nice unit as well.
March 02, 2019 06:01PM
Harold -- Not sure where you get "a small fortune" figure. I paid $1500 for my GPX 4800, although it was used but in great shape. New ones are around $1,900 street price. While that may be higher than the normal VLF machine, that's still not a small fortune. You have to figure that the majority of people that go to the DIV hunts are not exactly squeezing pennies to be able to go. I know a couple guys that have backup GPXs to their primary GPX and they usually loan the backup out to people. I'm a little hesitant to take mine out into the rain but some of those guys will put the control box in a grocery bag and go at it. I don't mind loaning mine out to folks though; I have offered to do that several times to people for DIVs I wasn't going to attend. Some of these guys do the back to back DIV hunts in a week and will easily drop $1500-2000 OR MORE with hunt fees, travel costs, lodging, etc. If they do just 2 hunts, they are already at $500 in just entry fees. The hotels price gouge because of the hunt. I've not been in several years but the last time I went, it was around $100 a night plus their extra fees. I kinda dread how much it's gonna be this go around.

I could probably fare OK with a big box TDI but I would have to sink some money into a very large aftermarket coil to be able to come closer to the depth of a GPX. There's no configuration with the Infinium or TDI that can match that, and we are talking about comparing a TDI with 15 inch coil to a GPX with 11 inch coil and the GPX still coming out ahead. That's why so many have the GPX. The 11 inch stock coil is the most common configuration that people are using on the GPX...thus why I have opted to go for the heavier 15 inch Spiral coil. It's super heavy but gives a tremendous edge in coverage and depth over the 11 inch coil. I'm always looking for the edge and have been trying to work my stamina up swinging that joker. Even with a harness system it is a load.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2019 06:12PM by Daniel Tn.
March 02, 2019 06:05PM
Nice finds buddy.
March 02, 2019 06:14PM
Yes the depth of the gpx & 15" spiral coil is something to behold.
March 02, 2019 06:16PM
I was talking about the GPX 5000. Those Babies ain't cheap.
March 02, 2019 06:50PM
Harold -- They aren't really that high unless you want to pay full MAP for one of them. Dealers will always sell them staggeringly cheaper than the MAP price. Even the 5000.

BTW for what its worth, there is no depth difference or performance difference between the 4800 and 5000 and even the GPX 4500. The timings they use are the same, setting limits are the same. The difference is, they added a new salt program to the 5000 and a fine gold program for gold prospectors. Neither of which are the timings you'd use for coin or relic hunting.
March 03, 2019 12:01PM
DanT - anybody using GPZ at DIV these days? If so, how did that work for them compared to the GPX?

Rick Kempf
March 04, 2019 01:41AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Take a Deus with a HF coil or Equinox and run it b
> ack thru that site behind the tired ole T2 and let
> us know what happens. I have been there and done t
> hat …..BTW those are some impressive finds...congr
> ats,

Thanks Cal. I feel sure the Deus or the Equinox would have faired much better. They should with no problem being multi frequency and being more technology advanced detectors. I wasn't comparing the T2 with any other units, especially those 2. Just wanted to show that the T2 wasn't a dead dog. It's funny, I was thinking on the way home how I'd like to search that area with a Deus. I've had and still have some real good hunts with the T2 and have a lot of confidence in it. So at this point I have no need or desire to prove or disprove the Deus or Equinox better than the T2 or vice versa. That's your thing not mine.
Hey bud, the video you did on where you're coming from concerning my post on the T2 finds was great. thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2019 01:50AM by Bill long.