Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Quest Metal Detectors Answer to the Go-Find and Simplex

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Quest Metal Detectors Answer to the Go-Find and Simplex
March 06, 2019 11:14AM
Quest's answer to MInelabs Go-Find with an Equinox look and attempting to cash in before Nokta/Makro's Simplex hits the market in the very same price range targeted with entry level price with high performance.
Quest X5 and Quest X10 models

[www.questmetaldetectors.com]

I'll take the Simplex..................

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: Quest Metal Detectors Answer to the Go-Find and Simplex
March 06, 2019 12:51PM
"X5"/"X10" - 2.08lb (0,95kg) - Nice!

"Simplex" - 2.9lb (1,32kg) ...
March 06, 2019 01:30PM
Nice orange color, but I'm with you, Sven .... I'll be glad when the Simplex is released.

I believe it will be one more shock to the metal detector industry, especially here in the USA. In the last year we've seen one ship sunk, one is listing, and another seems to have been adrift for quite a while. FTP is about the only US detector maker who seems to at least keep offering us reasonably-priced and still competitive products, and has the 'think-power' on board to steer it in the right direction. I'd guess they'll be setting sail with a newer and innovative vessel in the near future.

But the last four years it seems to be a catch-up game with the excellent products coming from the Nokta-Makro Team, Minelab's Equinox series, and XP's complement to the Deus with the ORX. My FORS CoRe's and FORS Relic's are still in command when working the really dense iron plagued Relic Hunting sites, and I'd bet the coming Simplex is going to handle a lot of the urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting I do once the huntable season weather improves. With the standard 11" coil for open areas and beach work, we'll see what they will offer for it for typical modern trash sites. If it shares coils with the Kruzer and Anfibio offerings then the 7" Concentric will definitely be a coil-of-choice.

I noticed the new Quest offerings smaller coil is the 5X9 'Blade' DD and I need smaller to better search a lot of sites.

Thanks for the update. It's nice to see what the competitors are doing in this industry.

Monte
March 06, 2019 11:10PM
With the Deteknics operation in CA apparently gone, what is the status of Quest in the US?

Apologies if I have mixed up two different outfits.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 07, 2019 05:01AM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Apologies if I have mixed up two different outfits
> .

No, you didn't mix them up. (Other than Deteknix spelling.)

Normally I don't think much of this site...but they've got the basics right on this one:
[md-hunter.com]

Edit: ...and as I look closely at the article comments, coincidentally I see the third comment is yours...so this is probably very old news to you. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2019 05:17AM by Mike in CO.
March 07, 2019 08:33AM
Looking at how that guy did that review had me in laughs_Fantastic comical rundown imo

Yeah sure_they got heir wings clipped in Court_it happens

The Quest X5 & X10 both look like great additions for anyone starting out

Well done guys for hanging in there smileys with beer

Nothing like more options for the family
March 07, 2019 11:17AM
Glad they don't use the camlock anymore.
March 07, 2019 02:46PM
I was pretty sure about the Deteknics US operation having flown the coop. My question was whether the US dealers shown on Quest’s website are still representing them. I have no idea what impact - if any, Deteknics departure has on their status as Quest dealers.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2019 02:47PM by lytle78.
March 07, 2019 03:48PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> I was pretty sure about the Deteknics US operation
> having flown the coop. My question was whether th
> e US dealers shown on Quest’s website are still re
> presenting them. I have no idea what impact - if
> any, Deteknics departure has on their status as Qu
> est dealers.

I've wondered the same thing Rick?!?
I checked out Deteknix back then....
March 07, 2019 05:34PM
I phoned the owner of Detknix several years ago, asked about country of the manufacturer. He hemmed and hawed around the question, saying it was made in Asia...,then I asked about being a distributer , he then fessed up that it indeed was made in China.

I thanked him for being honest about it (finally) and told him ...not interested in any ChiCom made crap.
March 07, 2019 07:19PM
As far as I am aware, they have always been upfront about their products being made in China

Quest formerly deteknix of which the very popular and reliable X-Pointer was made

As for buying Chinese made products_not a problem as it is popular amongst the big US
brands to manufacture their products in China and if its good enough for them, I'm sold -
March 07, 2019 09:40PM
eSCANz Wrote:
> As far as I am aware, they have always been upfron
> t about their products being made in China
>
> Quest formerly deteknix of which the very popular
> and reliable X-Pointer was made
>
> As for buying Chinese made products_not a problem
> as it is popular amongst the big US
> brands to manufacture their products in China and
> if its good enough for them, I'm sold -

The big problem with "made in china" is what level of QC is the company paying for? You can get extremely high quality stuff from China, BUT youre going to pay for it too. Then at the other end of the spectrum is when a crappy company says "make me a copy of this" and you get badly copied item with stolen or badly mocked up programming controls and little to zero QC. Detecknix was at the bottom end of that spectrum. The owner admitted that his machine was a copy of Fisher.

But thats why "made in china" has a bad rap, the majority of stuff comes from the bottom of that spectrum.
March 08, 2019 03:03AM
The Deteknix X-Pointer is a quality pinpointer. If the Quest metal detectors are on the same quality level as their pinpointers and combined with a fair price....then they are in the MD race.
March 08, 2019 04:50AM
Arkansas Wrote:
> The Deteknix X-Pointer is a quality pinpointer. If
> the Quest metal detectors are on the same quality
> level as their pinpointers and combined with a fai
> r price....then they are in the MD race.

Are they? When they first released I watched 3 in a row fail straight out of the box.
March 08, 2019 10:07AM
I find it a bit harsh to criticise another company from abroad for releasing a new product when others are still sitting on their hands playing catch all the time.

How many Garrett pinpointers have failed in the past due to quality/build issues, the only thing that saves them is good after sales and warranty. Must say my Quest Deus headphones are one of the best investments I have made recently, nothing cheap and nasty about them - even my old X-Pointer has outlasted my Whites TRX. How long have they been producing PI pinpointers for now, it has only taken till recently for a US manufacturer to produce one, and not without some issues either (aside from the old Pistol Probe). They also came up with a wireless setup for detectors long before Garrett came on the scene with the Z- Lynk. Hardly a case of ripping people off with "inferior" products.

Being produced in China doesn't necessarily make them comparable to those backwater companies producing Minelab GPX4000 copies with the guts from an inferior VLF detector, just to make a quick buck by deceiving naive purchasers. Deteknix/Quest products actually do work as they should, and at a competitive price point.

Yes they did come to grief with court action from Fisher, though that is water under the bridge now. I'd say you would have to be a bit naive to think that other manufacturers do not carry out reverse engineering of competitors products to see what makes them tick, though maybe in a more discreet fashion vs direct copying of components etc.

No manufacturer is immune to failures or issues with their products just after release, or even years after the fact in some cases. Hence it is a little unfair to lump Quest products at a lower rung than any other manufacturer due to the place of origin, In fact kudos to them for coming up with what looks to be a very well specced detector for what is a very competitive and soon to be saturated section of the market.
March 08, 2019 11:11AM
I have an original Deteknix Pinpointer-X Wader version. 3 years now and not a problem with it. Actually build quality of their detectors is right up there.

Works for me
March 10, 2019 05:59AM
silverfiend Wrote:
> Arkansas Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The Deteknix X-Pointer is a quality pinpointer.
> If
> > the Quest metal detectors are on the same qualit
> y
> > level as their pinpointers and combined with a f
> ai
> > r price....then they are in the MD race.
>
>
> Are they? When they first released I watched 3 in
> a row fail straight out of the box.

Not a bad deal_three in a box winking smiley lol

All jokes aside_we virtually replaced many of the keen hunters GPP's in NZ as
we were experiencing those dreaded 'falsing issues' that they become famous for

Had my X-Pointer now for almost 5 years and its still going strong_I do also like the fact
that China tends to give you a whole lot more for your money as well_

Still, it all comes down to personal experiences &preferences
March 10, 2019 06:03AM
Aurelic Wrote:
> I find it a bit harsh to criticise another company
> from abroad for releasing a new product when other
> s are still sitting on their hands playing catch a
> ll the time.
>
> How many Garrett pinpointers have failed in the pa
> st due to quality/build issues, the only thing tha
> t saves them is good after sales and warranty. Mu
> st say my Quest Deus headphones are one of the bes
> t investments I have made recently, nothing cheap
> and nasty about them - even my old X-Pointer has o
> utlasted my Whites TRX. How long have they been p
> roducing PI pinpointers for now, it has only taken
> till recently for a US manufacturer to produce one
> , and not without some issues either (aside from t
> he old Pistol Probe). They also came up with a wi
> reless setup for detectors long before Garrett cam
> e on the scene with the Z- Lynk. Hardly a case of
> ripping people off with "inferior" products.
>
> Being produced in China doesn't necessarily make t
> hem comparable to those backwater companies produc
> ing Minelab GPX4000 copies with the guts from an i
> nferior VLF detector, just to make a quick buck by
> deceiving naive purchasers. Deteknix/Quest produc
> ts actually do work as they should, and at a compe
> titive price point.
>
> Yes they did come to grief with court action from
> Fisher, though that is water under the bridge now.
> I'd say you would have to be a bit naive to think
> that other manufacturers do not carry out reverse
> engineering of competitors products to see what ma
> kes them tick, though maybe in a more discreet fas
> hion vs direct copying of components etc.
>
> No manufacturer is immune to failures or issues wi
> th their products just after release, or even year
> s after the fact in some cases. Hence it is a lit
> tle unfair to lump Quest products at a lower rung
> than any other manufacturer due to the place of or
> igin, In fact kudos to them for coming up with wh
> at looks to be a very well specced detector for wh
> at is a very competitive and soon to be saturated
> section of the market.

Awesome Post_+1 thumbs down
March 10, 2019 11:22AM
Looks like a nice kids detector. It's probably going to have a nice price too. No Bluetooth? The cuff looks uncomfortable. The back cap for the headphone and charging port should have a strap. That will get lost. And any shaft without locks relying just on spring buttons will wobble.

As far as China? Good luck finding any electronic devices that don't have roots in China. Just the reality of things. Your phone, auto, TV, Fitbit, even the raw materials in your prescription drugs have China all over them.
March 10, 2019 03:34PM
Jason Deng left California for the first plane back to China after admitting one of his "engineering team" made a "mistake" by buying bad code on the original Quest model.

His name is not even Jason....it's Mao or some @#$%&.

Let that sink in a minute. They don't even engineer their own code...they buy it...on the Chinese market.

Their original pointer the "Huntmate" was a direct copy of a White's Bullseye 2. Literally the same...didn't even try to make it look different.

They have been sued 2X since being in the US. From what I understand...a 3rd lawsuit is what sent them packing back home.

It's not about China. It's about being a scumbag company...which has no boundaries.

Everybody says their products work well. No @#$%&. So do the original products they ripped off.

I 100% admit the build quality seems legit. However, they do not have a single engineer who can create proprietary code in employment.

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]
March 10, 2019 07:27PM
I take it you don't like deteknix - Quest then? - Hunter GT

Perhaps you can tell us whose fault is it that many US manufacturers go running to China to get their products made?

How would you feel about US companies who trick their customers into thinking that they are buying US made products, when in fact they are made in China?

Its not hard to find pond scum on both sides if you look hard enough_

Quest have gone to Court_Now they have a couple of entry level detectors that WILL no doubt keep them in the running as a competitive player when it comes to metal detecting equipment_

I cant wait for something new and exciting to come out of FT to see how the international tech race compares

[www.earthscan.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 07:29PM by rustic charm.
March 10, 2019 10:15PM
rustic charm Wrote:
> I take it you don't like deteknix - Quest then? -
> Hunter GT
>
> Perhaps you can tell us whose fault is it that man
> y US manufacturers go running to China to get thei
> r products made?
>
> How would you feel about US companies who trick th
> eir customers into thinking that they are buying U
> S made products, when in fact they are made in Chi
> na?
>
> Its not hard to find pond scum on both sides if yo
> u look hard enough_
>
> Quest have gone to Court_Now they have a couple of
> entry level detectors that WILL no doubt keep them
> in the running as a competitive player when it com
> es to metal detecting equipment_
>
> I cant wait for something new and exciting to come
> out of FT to see how the international tech race c
> ompares

Comparing intellectual theft to outsourcing? Not sure I follow that logic.

Perhaps...there is no "fault" going to China or Mexico. They have cheap labor...willing workers...cheaper material costs.

It's a no brainer for companies to outsource like that when a US worker demands higher wages...less hours...more breaks...is fat/lazy/uneducated compared to the global standard.

How would I feel about mislabeled products? Any products assembled "anywhere" should say so. I do not agree with placing a "Made in USA" sticker on something when it is not made or assembled there.

As far as competitive? I can count on one hand how many guys run Deteknix/Quest detectors. I know as many Blisstool users. But if you enjoy them...by all means...enjoy. I use Chinese products daily and am quite happy with them.

Like I said...it's not about China...every place has radness and badness.

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]
March 11, 2019 03:35AM
RT has ben blowing the same horn for a lot of years. Perhaps because he isn’t the NZ distributor for any first world detector manufacturers.

Yes, US firms have a lot to answer for for offshoring their production to low cost countries while maintaining their full retail pricing back home.

Stealing intellectual property and hiding the theftt under bogus trade marks is a whole different basket of Kiwi Fruit.

Same ol sorry song.

When Chinese companies come out with innovative and original products, their low labor costs will give them a clear price advantage. It remains to be seen if they can back it up with solid warranty, good customer service and building brand loyalty.

Reminds me - I haven’t seek Kiwi fruit around here in a long time - maybe because it was not popular. I doubt that it has been copied in china.

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 03:38AM by lytle78.
March 11, 2019 07:38AM
I was touch new Quest model on IWA to days ago. Look really nice. But is only rainproof. For rough terrain, I need full waterproof setup. Video soon.
March 11, 2019 03:48PM
One of the very clear advantages the Chinese have in light manufacturing is the fact that their supply chain organization is simply the best in the world. They can bring new as well as copycat products to market in a tiny fraction of the time it would take a Western or Japanese company to do so. Everything they need is right at hand, concentrated in a small area of South China. The export and shipping of finished product is easy, quick and VERY cheap. Ever wonder why Chinese sellers on eBay can offer a $5 product - delivered in less than two weeks - with free shipping? Chinese overseas postage rates are ridiculously cheap and poor USPS must complete the delivery for pennies.

Rick Kempf
March 11, 2019 04:32PM
Add to that, the fact that china doesnt give a damn about environmental controls. They doe whatever is cheapest while western countries are required to install multi-million dollar enviro abatement and controls, and spend fortunes if a single drop of anything as benign as vegetable oil touches the ground. They have no qualms about slave labor, child labor, etc.
March 11, 2019 05:02PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Ever wonder why Chinese sellers on eBay ca
> n offer a $5 product - delivered in less than two
> weeks - with free shipping? Chinese overseas post
> age rates are ridiculously cheap and poor USPS mus
> t complete the delivery for pennies.

The USPS has subsidized Chinese shippers for years . Known this for years. The Chinese have taken advantage of this. And now compete with the very US ebay sellers they sell the products to wholesale by selling direct to consumers on the same venue.

[www.practicalecommerce.com]

[spectator.org]

[www.cnn.com]

Works for me
March 11, 2019 07:56PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> RT has ben blowing the same horn for a lot of year
> s. Perhaps because he isn’t the NZ distributor fo
> r any first world detector manufacturers.
>
> Yes, US firms have a lot to answer for for offshor
> ing their production to low cost countries while m
> aintaining their full retail pricing back home.
>
> Stealing intellectual property and hiding the thef
> tt under bogus trade marks is a whole different ba
> sket of Kiwi Fruit.
>
> Same ol sorry song.
>
> When Chinese companies come out with innovative an
> d original products, their low labor costs will gi
> ve them a clear price advantage. It remains to be
> seen if they can back it up with solid warranty, g
> ood customer service and building brand loyalty.

>
> Reminds me - I haven’t seek Kiwi fruit around here
> in a long time - maybe because it was not popular.
> I doubt that it has been copied in china.

Please Rick_You made a mess of your last attempt to tell the world all about me

Give it a rest_Surely its ok to ask the opinion of others without you chiming in YET again
trying to be the man on all things Chinese_

Yes, home of the Kiwi Fruit

[nzhistory.govt.nz]

No point crying about what they steal, SIMPLY steal from them

btw - What Chinese Metal detectors did YOU have a problem with when it came to warranty?_

Purely for reference and a chance for the manufacturers to respond_

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
March 11, 2019 07:58PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> One of the very clear advantages the Chinese have
> in light manufacturing is the fact that their supp
> ly chain organization is simply the best in the wo
> rld. They can bring new as well as copycat product
> s to market in a tiny fraction of the time it woul
> d take a Western or Japanese company to do so. Eve
> rything they need is right at hand, concentrated i
> n a small area of South China. The export and shi
> pping of finished product is easy, quick and VERY
> cheap. Ever wonder why Chinese sellers on eBay ca
> n offer a $5 product - delivered in less than two
> weeks - with free shipping? Chinese overseas post
> age rates are ridiculously cheap and poor USPS mus
> t complete the delivery for pennies.

ALL thanks to the western manufacturers for running to China in the first place_YES?

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
March 11, 2019 09:59PM
Ask folks who bought Deteknics machines where they expect to get service now that the business owner has apparently departed the US. Their FB page is gone, their phone didn’t answer when I called just now.

RC has owned some Chinese machines - I haven’t. Perhaps he or some of his friends can tell us of some good experience they had with warranty support. I have no data.

Rick Kempf