Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Talk me out of it!!

Posted by sheds 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Talk me out of it!!
March 06, 2019 06:23PM
I'm soon to be 62 years old and my back is not the best in the west....I'm a die hard CZ guy...have the 3d,5,7apro,70pro
thinking about selling a couple of them and getting a Equinox 6 or 8....I've read a lot of story's were people go back over
where they have already been and find a lot more....plus their a lot lighter...thing is I'm dumber than hell when comes to
digital detectors....Talk me out of it
Kevin
Re: Talk me out of it!!
March 06, 2019 06:27PM
Time to scale down in weight and scale up in performance......How'd I do? smoking smiley
March 06, 2019 06:54PM
If You have a 1021 or Hot CZ-3D I would at least hang on to that one
March 06, 2019 07:45PM
Come on Harold. Now you talked sense to the guy...I was ready to take a hot 1021 3D off his hands ! HA !

I agree with Harold on holding on to at least one CZ. Many times I have been out with my new fangled digital friends and forgot how to adjust stuff. Have to read the manual on certain things the night before. Forgot to do that a few weeks back and did not remember the process of linking up my wireless headphones to my MMK.

Hunted for a bit with the external speaker blasting. Had enough and got the CZ out.

I know how to adjust that baby and will never forget.

But to your point sheds...there are lighter, faster, better performing units out there. All depends on what you are searching for and where you hunt.
March 06, 2019 08:09PM
Two reasons to re-buy machines to me would be, do you need lighter weight machine for your health? And will you need to dig deeper than 10" regularly to make decent finds? I don't relic hunt and the parks where I jewlery/coin hunt, most the finds are within 5" of the surface and my MXT Pro still does fine there. Its good to 10". With smaller coils.
March 06, 2019 08:13PM
Makes sense Ozzie.....Harold & Therover....I have a hot 3d...( not a 1021) not getting rid of it.
as far as where I live and what I hunt....mostly coils...and live in ILL...Land of the Corrupt
March 06, 2019 09:08PM
You didn't mention if you were using a chest harness for the CZs, if not try one before you sell. They make all the difference for me.
March 06, 2019 09:33PM
I'm not going to try and talk you into or out of an Equinox. For the difference in price, The 800 is the way to go. You'll also recoup the price difference when you sell it to get another CZ. Sometimes you really can't teach an old dog new tricks. eye rolling smiley
March 06, 2019 11:11PM
I own both a CZ6A and CZ 5, Tom tuned. If your going into this thinking the Nox is going to light up all your old sites with new finds it simply didn't occur for me. Granted, I hit all my old sites with many different machines over the years including ctx, Etrac, CZs etc. I put in around 100 hours on the nox, flagging targets, cross checking with ctx and CZ . I didn't find anything the CTX couldn't see and in most cases ID way better. When it came down to the CZ and the NOX I found the CZs to ID old nickels way better. Morale of the story, I wouldn't sell my CZs, ctx or etrac for the Nox to old coin hunt unless weight and ergo is something you really need to do. If your a very efficient hunter with good coil discipline don't expect the Nox to be a miracle stick. It is a very good all around machine though just not the best for old coin hunting
March 06, 2019 11:41PM
Different strokes for different folks as they say. I have had all the CZs you listed and still have 2 3Ds. The Equinox is an evolutionary upgrade. It is improved in many areas and there are other new units that are excellent as well. A CZ will always be a great unit. It would be difficult to out hunt an expert CZ hunter. But the Equinox will give you easy access to virtually all types of hunting in a light package that is great out of the box AND configurable to the Nth degree if you desire to custom fine tune it. Get the Equinox and if you don't like it you can sell it at a small loss. If it saves you surgery or therapy it is a huge savings. I know at least half a dozen guys who have gone 'nox and not one regretted it.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
March 06, 2019 11:56PM
From a guy who has used CZ's for over 2o plus years and is 80 ...body mount the CZ and never look back.....nothing more user friendly and will get the deep silver with the best of them...just traded for a super CZ5 as indeed experience is the best teacher and didn't want to learn a newfangled unit that was supposed to be better than sliced bread. You won't be sorry my friend..
PS: and you won't have to carry a manual with you to make adjustments...
March 07, 2019 01:37AM
For me the Equinox is not a very ergonomic friendly detector to swing. I beach hunt and the stock shaft just sucks. The twist cams on it really suck. I ended up with an Anderson C fiber shaft that to be honest sucks too. The detector needs a counter weight. Plenty of press on this forum about it. The Equinox really does well in the wet sand on low conductors like gold. That is why I have it. In my very hunted out dirt site that I take all my detectors to get familiar with the Equinox did squeak out a few silver dimes. A game changer for dirt hunting? Not in my opinion. A nice detector for the price? A BIG yes.
March 07, 2019 01:53AM
I agree with goodmore, if you can find someone near you to let you have a go with their eq. to make sure you can get along with the way it feels. I've tried two hoping I could make it work just not for me. Good luck though which ever direction you go.
Talk you out of it!! Why?
March 07, 2019 01:56AM
Kevin,

If you're hunting ONLY with CZ's, you're certainly leaving a lot of stuff behind depending on the site. CZ's do their thing really well but are weak in other areas. Find a detector to compliment your Favorite CZ in the places that
you hunt.

Oh, and almost everything out there is lighter and more ergonomic than any of your CZ's. You might like that part.

Rich -

sheds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm soon to be 62 years old and my back is not the
> best in the west....I'm a die hard CZ guy...have t
> he 3d,5,7apro,70pro
> thinking about selling a couple of them and gettin
> g a Equinox 6 or 8....I've read a lot of story's w
> ere people go back over
> where they have already been and find a lot more..
> ..plus their a lot lighter...thing is I'm dumber t
> han hell when comes to
> digital detectors....Talk me out of it
> Kevin

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
March 07, 2019 05:48AM
What good would a digital metal detector do if you couldnt learn it.....a light-weight Door Stop is of no use to anyone. Be better to hip mount or use a harness thingy for your Fisher CZ. I also think the CZ-7 (or CZ-7a) was slightly better balanced with the batteries under the arm cuff. When one really connects with a certain model MD its really hard to relearn another, especially jumping from analog to digital. If you do want to try something new, keep an older model for back-up. Have fun.
March 07, 2019 09:42AM
Whilst I didn't move from an analog to digital detector, I did change detectors due to weight and issues with my detecting hand. A change was required to put pain free enjoyment back into detecting, and that was the bottom line for me. I did have a favourite detector being the weighty Explorer SE Pro, though quickly found swinging the featherweight Deus much more of a pleasure despite having to re-learn a new machine from scratch. Did it make finds in areas that I had previously detected - a big yes, was it worth relearning a new detector for the sake of my health, a definite yes.

People seem to over complicate the setup and running of the latest raft of digital detectors, when in fact they have been designed to cater for all ages and levels of experience. Yes there are times that I wished I had kept my Explorer, though remembering the painful state of my hand after a six hour hunt (completely locked up), was enough for me to realise that I made the right decision to move it on.

By all means keep your favourite detector if it means that much to you, but don't let it hold you back from trying something different.
March 07, 2019 03:31PM
The Equinox is a great machine if it fits your style of hunting. A lot of guys have gotten into what I consider to be a bad habit of relying on specific target ID numbers to convince them to dig.

When I'm being selective in hunting, I tend to go more by a broader sense of tone bins/segments instead of specific numbers. I'm more interested in knowing if a target is low conductive, mid conductive, or high conductive and the detector giving me a tone to signify that.

In a way, that is how the CZ audio is set up. You may get certain trash targets to give a high tone like a coin...say zinc mason jar lids...but you can tell they are a bigger target vs the smaller text book repeating chirp of a coin size target.

That is how I run the Equinox. I don't go by specific numbers so to speak. I simply want to know whether it's low conductive, mid conductive, or high conductive. Most US coins are going to fall into that high conductive range. So will some trash items but IMO, once you get that acute nuance of a coin vs other trash on the Equinox, you can pretty well call your shots that you have a coin. Might not can be able to tell a copper penny from a dime, but you can know its a coin. This is especially true in trash...modern trash and iron.

If you are familiar with Nasa Tom's DVD on Inland Coin hunting, he has a CZ at an old home site where he does a bunch of live digs with the CZ. IMO, that kind of place is tailor made for the Nox. The faster recovery speed would allow you to work such a site and pick out non ferrous targets from iron, and would allow you to be able to cherry pick mid to high conductors a lot easier.

With the Nox 800, you could get really detailed and set up your own custom tone bins and breaks. I have the 600 and that is one of the things that cannot be done, but I have kinda learned where the breaks are by the presets and have taken to those.
March 07, 2019 03:55PM
I agree with Goodmore. I got rid of the Nox for exactly the reasons he explains. For me, the Nox was too nose heavy and caused this 69 year old man with back problems too much back pain. I had some falsing on about every other swing. The falsing was a high target sound and plenty loud enough for me to go back over the spot to investigate and there was never a target there. It didn't make any difference what settings I used, I could not get rid of the falsing. Also, I really had a hard time digging any nickels. What sounded exactly like a nickel was a pull tab. I dug many pull tabs thinking 'nickel'. I have other detectors that do not give me that aggravation so the Nox had to go. What, where and how you hunt could make a difference. I hunt clad in trashy parks because of a lack of better places to hunt in my area.
March 07, 2019 06:56PM
While We are on the subject of the Nox, does the 800 and 600 have adjustable modulated audio? The Etrac does but calls it volume gain. AKa make a deeper target softer sounding.
March 07, 2019 08:14PM
Harold The Nox doesn't have adjustable modulated audio. Not only is it non adjustable, it doesn't have much modulation at all. Pretty much the same volume on any depth target.
March 07, 2019 08:23PM
Thanks Tom. That would be a deal breaker for Me. That's just the way I like to Detect as everyone is different.
March 07, 2019 09:35PM
I'm not talking anyone into anything.

The last time I talked a buddy into buying an Equinox, and put together a group buy with him and another guy (that flaked out on the group buy) he tested it for two days, announced it couldn't do anything his Explorer 2 couldn't already do, and sold it on ebay for a handsome profit.

Besides, I'm happy to hunt behind any CZ out there with my Equinox and dig everything you all missed hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2019 09:36PM by Cal_cobra.
March 07, 2019 10:34PM
For the money the Equinox is quite a detector. And I would have to admit very few detectors I have ever used are as good in comparison. The Deus,CTX, and maybe a Nokta detector. But like I said if you factor in the price and it's ability in water....wow....it made other detectors obsolete.
March 08, 2019 12:34AM
The differences in various model metal detectors and everyday differences in ground conditions make it so no site is hunted out. One could hunt with the CZ, Nox, Deus, Impact, Etrac, and TDI, in any order and find things the previous machines missed. You could do this once a month and still find things. Everyone is different.....choose what YOU feel you can bond with. Many here will help anyone having Setting questions of whatever you choose to learn . Thanks, Happy Hunting
March 08, 2019 12:56AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
>, and put together a group buy with him and ano
> ther guy (that flaked out on the group buy) he tes
> ted it for two days, announced it couldn't do anyt
> hing his Explorer 2 couldn't already do, and sold
> it on ebay for a handsome profit.
>
>

Well, I kept my word in the "group buy". Who cares if I subsequently went a different route after that ? Besides, you love NOTHING MORE than to compare signals with my Sabre and Explorer, right ? To save me all the trouble of buying for tech. comparison. That's what you get for being a genius. Is everyone waits for YOU to do the heavy-lifting Brian. Tsk tsk. >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2019 01:22AM by Tom_in_CA.
March 08, 2019 01:03AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >, and put together a group buy with him and another guy (that flaked out on the group buy) he tested it for two days, announced it couldn't do anything his Explorer 2 couldn't already do, and sold it on ebay for a handsome profit.
> >
>
> Well, I kept my word in the "group buy". Who cares if I subsequently went a different route after that ? Besides, you love NOTHING MORE than to compare signals with my Sabre and Explorer, right ?
> To save me all the trouble of buying for tech. comparison.
> That's what you get for being a genius.
> Is every waits for YOU to do the heavy-lifting Brian. Tsk tsk. >grinning smiley<

Your Silver Sabre is going down - lol Just wait till we (if we) get to flag some signals at some of our worked to death stage stops in a few weeks.... good thing the desert floor is already covered in alkali, a few more tears won't affect it hot smiley
March 08, 2019 01:25AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
>
> .. good thing the desert floor is already covered
> in alkali, a few more tears won't affect it hot smiley

Them's fighting words. I'm sensing "locker room envy" on your part. angry smiley I'm calling you out, ya little sissy. Be prepared to meet your doom. You can show off your wheat pennies, along-side my choice Carson city CC dimes and quarters. MMmmuuhhhahahaha >grinning smiley<
March 08, 2019 02:01AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > .. good thing the desert floor is already covere
> d
> > in alkali, a few more tears won't affect it hot smiley
>
>
> Them's fighting words. I'm sensing "locker room e
> nvy" on your part. angry smiley I'm calling you out, ya
> little sissy. Be prepared to meet your doom. You
> can show off your wheat pennies, along-side my cho
> ice Carson city CC dimes and quarters. MMmmuuhh
> hahahaha >grinning smiley<

Perhaps we should have a little wager on our next road trip, and put your money where your mouth is....those crusty zincolns are going to taste good with your beer smileys with beer
Nobody much mentions 5” coil usage on CZ’s
March 08, 2019 09:55PM
I’ve had CZ’s , every model except the CZ20 since the CZ6 came out 90- 91, and I always used the 5” coil at least 90 percent of the time, since most of my hunting was in iron. Being a concentric, it had adequate depth and separation, wondering how many of you did this. l was a little like Monte, liked the smaller coils, in most cases.
Re: Nobody much mentions 5” coil usage on CZ’s
March 08, 2019 11:35PM
Thanks every one for you feed back
I think I'll stay with the CZ's for now.
Kevin