Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Well-----I REALLY did it this time!!!

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Well-----I REALLY did it this time!!!
March 09, 2019 04:51PM
I broke down, ordered & have a new Deus on the way!----It's the 5;2 version, 9" X-35 coil, WS-5 h.p.'s & MI-6 pinpointer.-------Did I do good?---Hope I'm smart enough to run it the way it is worthy of.winking smiley-------Planned use for it is mainly in mineralized areas with mucho iron trash.------Anybody got any hot tips on running this little jewel?--------------Del
Re: Well-----I REALLY did it this time!!!
March 09, 2019 05:12PM
What were you thinking?????? Retro is so last year! Are you that much a Star Trek fan?

Let us know how your enjoy the Enterprise.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
March 09, 2019 05:30PM
Pasttom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What were you thinking?????? Retro is so last yea
> r! Are you that much a Star Trek fan?
>
> Let us know how your enjoy the Enterprise.

Good one Tom!---It DOES look like the Starship Enterprise!winking smiley----but----ooohhh, the performance (I hope)! smiling smiley
March 09, 2019 06:09PM
When I went thru my Deus phase I got the 11 inch coil and regretted it. It's a great detector, I even tried a GMP for a bit (still have the coil). XP makes great stuff considering. Best of luck, Del. I took to the 'nox much easier.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
March 09, 2019 06:24PM
Pick up a copy of the updated Deus Handbook by Sabisch...

Oh yeah, don't forget CD's videos...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2019 06:25PM by TexHunter.
March 09, 2019 06:54PM
Am I going to see you at the next NV. hunt with the Deus.

Just curious why you select the 9 X35 coil?

El
March 09, 2019 09:02PM
Elbert Wrote:
> Am I going to see you at the next NV. hunt with th
> e Deus.
>
> Just curious why you select the 9 X35 coil?
>
> El

El------Answer to your first question---maybe.----------Answer to your second question----Because I heard that coil gave good separation, was a quiet runner, was very versatile and provided sufficient depth.-----Seemed like a "good fit" for me.----------Del
March 09, 2019 09:45PM
just curious why you didn't choose the new ORX?
March 09, 2019 10:16PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> just curious why you didn't choose the new ORX?

Good question.-----I very carefully went over all the info on those two detectors that I could find (ORX & Deus)--and after considering the features (or lack of) between the two.-----IMO, the Deus better "fills the bill" (at least for me).----Bottom line answer to your question & reason for my choice: I just feel the Deus is by far the more versatile detector of the two----I hope I'm right.smiling smiley
March 09, 2019 10:52PM
Know a local that has been thru a bunch of units ….certainly one of the best in the area and last time I saw him he was hooked on the Deus so wish you luck with your new weapon...
March 09, 2019 11:11PM
Del,
You did good! I love mine with the 9" HF coil. Great for those iron littered ghost towns. Cal's pitch program is excellent.
Have fun with it!

Dean
March 10, 2019 01:04AM
Congrats Del, I'm sure you will soon be in love
March 10, 2019 01:19AM
You did good. I have the same unit. I love the 9" X35 coil.
March 10, 2019 06:08AM
I am just a few weeks ahead of you in learning the Deus. I bought mine with the X35 11 inch coil with plans to buy the 9 inch HF coil later if I took a liking to the Deus itself.

As has been mentioned, Andy's book may be of help. For me personally, the YouTube videos in the XP Skills School series have been the biggest help. I am more of a visual learner though, so that may be a big part of it.

There does seem to be a learning curve that is bigger than what I had figured. I thought I was making progress until I got the 9" HF coil a few days ago, and that seemed to change everything around and wiped the slate clean. I do like it but it is gonna take a lot of hours to get comfortable with. The big thing that sticks out to me is how finicky it can be on settings; one setting can mean the difference between a signal being loud and clear, or not heard at all. Thus for me now, I will hunt a spot with it at one setting, then if time allows, change this or that and go rehunt the same patch of ground. My learning phase has been at an old home site on my property that has given up a lot of flat buttons in the past. There are a couple spots that is choked full of iron, and those are where I have been hammering with the Deus. The buttons are getting very tough to find there; in fact, I haven't found any outside of the iron patches in quite a while; last few were with the Equinox. My first two times through it with the Deus didn't produce anything at all. Then I made a change with Gary's full tone program and went back, and boom, 4 flatties popped out in the same iron patch I had previously hunted. This being with the X35 11" coil @ 25khz. One of those is the tiniest button I have ever found since I started metal detecting. I've not had a chance to hunt over there with the HF 9" coil yet.
March 10, 2019 11:39AM
Deus is a great machine to have in the arsenal. Deep machine. Can set it up just about anyway you could imagine. Learning the deus is about using it in the right sites. It’s right at home in the thickest iron you can find, will pull nonferrous from the iron with ease. It’s also very good at sizing up and giving information on iron relics (bigger iron). Some people have great success in modern trash and park settings with it too. I only use it at the iron type sites. Have not ever really used the VDI. If it sounds nonferrous I dig it. Good choice,and good luck with your new machine.
March 10, 2019 03:28PM
Good move Del, for one thing, your shoulder will thank you. I'm one of those guys that use the deus in modern parks and am very pleased with the results. Is it the best machine for that? Probably not but I never know on a day where I will end up. Coinshootin an old baseball field, a wooded homestead, plowed field or a curb strip. So far I've been able to set the deus up for wherever I end up.
Good luck and i have no doubt you'll be tearing it up , now if we can just get mother nature to cooperate......
March 10, 2019 04:01PM
Great detector! Very versatile, It can be set up to hunt in any situation you run into. Fast and deep is a great combination.thumbs down
March 10, 2019 07:38PM
Yeaahhhhhh.....Del...buddy! You’ve got too much “Minelab” in ya to futz with all that nonsense! You’re going to have to “unlearn” what you know just to get back to zero! It’ll just never work man....
Yes,I am a part time motivational speaker...smiling bouncing smiley
March 10, 2019 07:44PM
Ole' Del!
March 10, 2019 08:09PM
Congratulations! I think it’s wonderful you’ll be exercising the grey matter. Look forward to hearing what you find with the new tool.
March 10, 2019 08:37PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
> Yeaahhhhhh.....Del...buddy! You’ve got too much “M
> inelab” in ya to futz with all that nonsense! You’
> re going to have to “unlearn” what you know just t
> o get back to zero! It’ll just never work man....
> Yes,I am a part time motivational speaker...smiling bouncing smiley

Hey ole pal------Yeah. I'm going to at least half ars kick the Minelab habit on this one.-----My darlings (Minelabs) ain't goin nowhere though!grinning smiley
March 10, 2019 08:40PM
Kraemer Wrote:
> Congratulations! I think it’s wonderful you’ll be
> exercising the grey matter. Look forward to hearin
> g what you find with the new tool.

Thanks---Hope I got enough "grey matter" left.winking smiley
March 11, 2019 01:50PM
I made a video on the Deus for you.
March 11, 2019 02:05PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> I made a video on the Deus for you.

I don't see it on your you tube channel.

El
March 11, 2019 02:07PM
It is uploading and will be a unlisted video that can only be viewed from this forum .I will post a thread in a few.
March 11, 2019 02:25PM
Nice!

Past(or)Tom
March 13, 2019 12:15AM
She's supposed to be here tomorrow!!----I'm so excited I don't know if I can sleep tonight!!!------The Deus, the Deus---I'm talkin about the Deus----git ur mind oughta the gutter!!!!!!!!!grinning smiley
March 15, 2019 04:02PM
Going to take some time to get used to the Deus. At least it did with me! I watched as many videos as I could, read as many posts as I could find and read Andy Sabisch's book cover to cover and some sections more than once. I thought I would be the master of the Deus the first time out. Boy was I wrong! The first time I had the Deus out I was about ready to wrap it around a tree! So many noises, so much trash! But, after I got home, I picked up Andy's book and began reading again. Now some things begin to click. The next time I took the Deus out, I adjusted some settings and it became a little quieter and I actually found some coins (I am a coin shooter in trashy parks). After I got home, I did some more reading. Not everything I read stuck, but I was beginning to get the hang of it just a bit. I have had the Deus for over a year now and have put in many hours in the field. Things have clicked and I now get along quite well with the Deus. It is a marvelous detector and can be set up so many ways. Be careful though as one setting can have an adverse effect on another. You will learn how to set up the Deus for your type of detecting but it will take time. Give yourself the time with the Deus and you will be rewarded is what I am saying.