Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Can a GPX or SD2300 discriminate iron?

Posted by BamaJoe 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Can a GPX or SD2300 discriminate iron?
March 10, 2019 12:55AM
I doubt that we have much gold here in Alabama, we're too far from the beach, and not much civil war fought here, so, that leaves coin shooting . However, we do have lots of iron in the ground (bad soil) and rusty nails. Will the GPX's, SD2200's or 2300's actually discriminate iron good enough to be able to go a little deeper than my CTX3030? My CTX is good for about 4" in worst soil and 7" at best in soil that's in my area. I need something to get a little deeper. The only PI's that I've owned is the original TDI several years back and presently have a TDI SL. The original TDI was deeper than the SL and I was thinking that I could tell small iron nails while adjusting GB down would lose nails at "5" on GB then continuing to hear hi conductors on down to "3" on GB. I can in no way tell a rusty nail from a high conductor with the TDL SL. Will any PI discriminate good enough to detect only high conductors? IF no, then I'm waiting on the Fisher Manta. Thanks, Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2019 12:57AM by BamaJoe.
Re: Can a GPX or SD2300 discriminate iron?
March 10, 2019 01:26PM
Hi Joe,
The 2300 has no disc capabilities. The GPX series has crude iron disc only while using a DD coil. Daniel in TN would be the guy to talk to about using PI units to relic hunt. I have both GPX and the 2300 but use them for nugget shooting in the Southwest so I have no experience relic hunting with them. Good luck!

Dean
March 10, 2019 02:14PM
Thanks Bado1..most use for gold some for relics not many on coins. Hoping to get feedback on coins. Apparently there's not a lot of rusty nails in most gold fields but you would think relic hunters would know. Thanks again for your reply. I'm looking for a used GPX that I can test that I can sell without losing too much when the manta comes out.
March 10, 2019 04:40PM
As you have both bad ground and also alot of iron ie like nails etc then using a smaller than stock size DD coil on a GPX could be the best way forward,the GPX with DD does have iron rejection but of course its not in the same league as a VLF machine but a small coil will certainly help.

When i am on a high mineral site which has alot of roman hob nails in the i use my TDI Pro with either the 7.5'' DF,9x5 folded mono or a 6'' Mono coil and also in low conductivity mode and high conductivity mode when needed,but its the small coil that makes it possible as it reduces target masking,the 6'' Detech mono works its magic in situations like this.Most of my coils that i use on the TDI Pro are actually made for the GPX of various sizes from the 6'' Mono upto 18''.

Of course this is only how i detect a couple of bad ground conditions roman sites here in the UK and also they do have alot of non desirable iron,and the only way around this is by using a much smaller coil.You can still get some decent depth that would not be possible with either stock size coils or bigger.
March 10, 2019 04:49PM
GPX has an Iron Disc setting but it is a crude form of nulling that it does. It is very slow at recovering from a null, so if in an area with carpets of nails, it is not going to be the best of choice. Some say its only effective down to around 6 inches but I disagree with that and find that it can ID iron deeper than that. The biggest difference in the GPX vs VLF machines in bad dirt is that it will not downgrade the signal of non ferrous objects. Watch the Hoover Boys latest video for their intro to pulse machines on a site hit hard by their VLFs ....and that is not a site with hot soil.
March 10, 2019 06:21PM
BamaJoe……. It appears that no one has answered your primary question. I speculate that the GPX will ID the coins that you are looking for: as 'iron'.
March 10, 2019 11:54PM
The answer to your second part question is yes.

High conductors are easy on the GPX. No brainer smooth low tone with a high tone tail if they are shallow and more of just a smooth low tone if they are deep.

The only time you might run into a nail is if you start going after iffy signals to get the 14+ inch targets. Those can get tricky because by then, the high tone tag end is gone or almost gone. Anything around 12 inches and shallower is a piece of cake.

Depth and not digging iron is why so many people are using them at DIV hunts vs the cheaper pulse counterparts.
March 11, 2019 01:44AM
First off let me say that I bought a new TDI SL (wish I could have found a used original TDI or TDI PRO maybe more depth and ability to sell without losing $) anyway a new SL. It will get a little deeper than my CZ3d Tom tuned, CTX3030 in my soil and probably any VLF. However the signal is so weak past 7" that I've not been able to discriminate rusty nails both small and large from high conductors. I don't think I'm going to be able to use it but with more time I should get better. I probable could use it at a place without rusty iron. J&D...I have only used the 12" DF coil...will try the 7.5" next week in a park that has worse soil than mine and if no nails may be the ticket I need. Daniel...I've decided to buy a GPX. I've not seen a used one at a price when compared to a new one that would make me jump on it. New GPX4500 is $2400 the GPX5000 new is $3400. Do I need the GPX5000 or will the 4500 do what I need? TOM You have a tread about future metal detectors...lots of discussion about the next breakthrough...what will it be? We here that one of these years the Fisher Manta is coming out...maybe whites has continued there PI that CM was working on...maybe one of these units will be the future.. I hope so... Let me throw out something that's defiantly "out of the box".... Maybe out of the park on the left field side...but here go my out of the box thoughts: Once I detect a deeper than VLF target using a PI. I would like any advancements that would help me determine the target. Once a target is pinpointed, could a smart coil be turned by say a three speed dc motor to test different swing speeds. Give about 10 seconds to test at each speed. Do everything that I do to determine a target ID. GB manipulate, 360 deg. swing, Now slowly lift the coil...does the signal fall off abruptly or taper off...audio nuances, ect. The minelabs are at present the best but I hate the woo's and whaa's of the audio and it don't have the ability to just detect high or low conductance coins which is better on hearing fatigue. I can't hear all the nuances that Daniel can. They threw me out of the Church choir and told me that I was mono tone and not to come back. Now think of a 4 blade lawn mower except it has one long rod and one small rod. Now the long rod has two 11" DD coils at the ends...the short rod has two 11" coils that overlap and cover ground that is inside the outside coils. Now we want to check at slow speed that simulates a slow swing speed...then speed2 and speed3. After pinpointing.. this rig should be able to do many 360deg. turns ...now does the PP move or stay centered...Now run the GB up and down ...when does it lose the signal...I think you can think of more to look for with the software setup....NOW all of this depends on whether or not a coil of this nature can be successfully developed...although we all ready have many PI coils...the question is will they work in this orientation. IF it will....then...think what this would open up....I would want a 48" one on my golf cart or my 4 wheeler....Can you imagine going to a park and while riding around also metal detecting...No one would even know that you were looking for coins...Also I could start using the GPS that I've never turned on....I would pull up to a spot that had a hit on the PI or VLF then mark my 4 ft. square with the GPS..hit the detect button and give the detector "x" amount of time to detect...if it showed a good target ..then I would want a robot to swing in and dig till the target is out of the hole....Now I know $$$$...yeah but a bass boat cost what $30k...$40K....? Now, has anyone ever heard of trying something like this...OKAY...critique...shoot it down....if it want work then someone hopfully will come up with something that will trigger the thought that will one day succeed...hopefully we will get to use it. thank, Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 01:48AM by BamaJoe.
March 11, 2019 09:53AM
Joe...….. yes. Anytime that you can jaunt a thought...… can trigger a Design Engineer to think-tank. Never a bad idea.

We are starting to see accelerometers added to some of the newest coils/detectors from Mfr's. ((The size/cost effectivity of accelerometers is just starting to be R.O.I. alluring)). This is allowing for some 'sizing' of targets...…. which will become more critical in the next paradigm-shift generation of ID capabilities for future units. So far...…. (in a nutshell) we have progressed from: FINDING METAL...… to DELINATING BETWEEN FERROUS/NON-FERROUS...….. to ID'ing THE CONDUCTIVITY OF THE METAL (with reasonable accuracy)...….. yet; have not been able to 'size' the target...with usable intelligibility. Charlie Garrett...… via Graphic Target Imaging...… 'started' a critical concept; yet, it did not progress (advance) sufficiently...…,,,,,,,,,, until as-of-recent...… with the advent of accelerometer incorporation. Now...…… Design Engineers of whom have employed accelerometers...are scrambling to maximize & efficientize the large wealth of data from such device..... whereby.... the wealth of data available.... is nearly untapped. We've given the baby: the keys to the Ferrari. Watch this one grow! Startling discoveries abound.
((( Also: Keep a close eye on Nokta/Makro. Anyone know 'which' unit I am referring to?)))
March 11, 2019 11:37AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe...….. yes. Anytime that you can jaunt a though
> t...… can trigger a Design Engineer to think-tank.
> Never a bad idea.
>
> We are starting to see accelerometers added to som
> e of the newest coils/detectors from Mfr's. ((The
> size/cost effectivity of accelerometers is just st
> arting to be R.O.I. alluring)). This is allowing f
> or some 'sizing' of targets...…. which will become
> more critical in the next paradigm-shift generatio
> n of ID capabilities for future units. So far...….
> (in a nutshell) we have progressed from: FINDING M
> ETAL...… to DELINATING BETWEEN FERROUS/NON-FERROUS
> ...….. to ID'ing THE CONDUCTIVITY OF THE METAL (wi
> th reasonable accuracy)...….. yet; have not been a
> ble to 'size' the target...with usable intelligibi
> lity. Charlie Garrett...… via Graphic Target Imagi
> ng...… 'started' a critical concept; yet, it did
> not progress (advance) sufficiently...…,,,,,,,,,,
> until as-of-recent...… with the advent of accelero
> meter incorporation. Now...…… Design Engineers of
> whom have employed accelerometers...are scrambling
> to maximize & efficientize the large wealth of dat
> a from such device..... whereby.... the wealth of
> data available.... is nearly untapped. We've given
> the baby: the keys to the Ferrari. Watch this one
> grow! Startling discoveries abound.
> ((( Also: Keep a close eye on Nokta/Makro. Anyone
> know 'which' unit I am referring to?)))

Invenio comes to mind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2019 11:40AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 11, 2019 01:25PM
TNSS...… That's it!