Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1850's fort site gives up the bucket lister smoking smiley

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
1850's fort site gives up the bucket lister smoking smiley
March 15, 2019 02:23AM
I'm not sure where to start, I had an epic day that I never thought I'd see. There are some things you never figure you'll dig and when you least expect it.... BAM!!! I met up with a fellow hunter to do a little relic hunting at a old fort site. His day started off with an 1846 Mexican 1/4 reale and then an awesome button, which he ended up finding 2 of. I started off with the usual lead and percussion caps and finally a 1846 Mexican reale as well. I was having a frustrating start with my wireless earbuds cutting out and the other pair not working at all. I tried using wired earbuds on the Equinox, but kept pulling them out almost everytime I set my machine down. Jimmy let me use his ML80's and that helped me settle down and get some serious hunting done.
Jimmy ended up leaving after a few hours and I told him I was going to hunt for another hour and then head to the house. My goal was to at least find a couple of nice buttons to make a day of it, little did I know the fun was about to begin within the next 30 minutes. I worked my way around to the other side of where we had parked, and started finding more lead and a few more percussion caps. I got a screaming 25-26 hit on the Nox, I dug down about 8" and figured I had hit a can or something. I covered the hole, but, thought to myself..... that could be a buckle. I redug the hole and finally pried out a top of an old aluminum can. About 15 minutes later I get an almost identical signal, 25-27, but, when I pinpointed it sounded different. My thought was I was digging a silver coin at depth, so....I was quite a bit more careful with this hole. Almost 8" down I pop out a huge round thingsmiling smiley it didn't register what it was until I picked it up and felt the weight. Then it hit me......no freaking possible way!!!
I saw the back first, then turned it over, the front had about a 1/4" of dirt caked on it, I carefully rubbed it and there it was.... My first breastplate, something I only dreamed of finding and now there it was in my hand. Thank God I didn't dig it like I had dug the other target, no dig marks on either side. Jimmy had found a US buckle a couple of years before, now, I had me a breastplate, something I never thought I dig.[/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 02:36AM by Dan(NM).
Re: 1850's fort site gives up the bucket lister smoking smiley
March 15, 2019 03:38AM
Dan, Great hunt! On my Bucket List for sure. Happy to hear the Nox is working well for you.smileys with beer
March 15, 2019 04:06AM
VERY impressive, Dan! Incredible dig, for your neck of the woods!!!

Congrats on the bucket lister!!

Steve
March 15, 2019 04:13AM
steveg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VERY impressive, Dan! Incredible dig, for your ne
> ck of the woods!!!
>
> Congrats on the bucket lister!!
>
> Steve

Thank you sir...it was big fun today winking smiley
March 15, 2019 04:29AM
Super find, congratulations smileys with beer

A U.S. buckle or breast plate are on my bucket list too, very, very hard to find in California.
March 15, 2019 04:35AM
Great hunt indeed Sir and WTG!

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
March 15, 2019 05:51AM
Wow, what a find! Congrats!
March 15, 2019 07:22AM
Awesome find Dan! Even out here in TN, plates are hard to come by these days.
March 15, 2019 09:25AM
March 15, 2019 10:58AM
Wow! what a rush! Great day, thanks for the pics. That's some dry dirt you're digging in.
March 15, 2019 11:22AM
Sweet digs!!! WTG!!!
March 15, 2019 11:26AM
Congrats on the plate and all the other goodies----a successful hunt by any measure.
March 15, 2019 12:31PM
Fantastic!
March 15, 2019 01:08PM
Wow! Congratulations!!

Dean
March 15, 2019 01:18PM
Thank you guys for the positive comments....Does someone have any recommendations on how to safely clean the plate, thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 01:25PM by Dan(NM).
March 16, 2019 08:26PM
Excellent job Dan = you da man grinning smiley
March 16, 2019 09:03PM
Very nice.
March 17, 2019 05:27PM
Nice!!

Beautiful Breast plate!!!

I like seeing those Pewter 4 holers..!!

That site is pre cvil war 1850s??

Dig some of that big iron too..Military site like that will have alot of iron relics= stirrups,,,lock plates,,bayonet,,Gun parts,,pad locks..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 18, 2019 12:38AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice!!
>
> Beautiful Breast plate!!!
>
> I like seeing those Pewter 4 holers..!!
>
> That site is pre cvil war 1850s??
>
> Dig some of that big iron too..Military site like
> that will have alot of iron relics= stirrups,,,loc
> k plates,,bayonet,,Gun parts,,pad locks..
>
>
> Keith

Thanks Keith,

The fort was occupied from 1851 thru 1862 when it was deserted. A couple of guys were there yesterday and dug 23 mini balls in a area that my buddy and I just haven't had time to get to yet, but, we will be going to come Thursday. Funny you should mention digging the iron, my buddy and I were just talking about that this morning.
March 20, 2019 02:46AM
Congrats on the awesome finds!