1850's fort site gives up the bucket lister smoking smiley
March 15, 2019 02:23AM
I'm not sure where to start, I had an epic day that I never thought I'd see. There are some things you never figure you'll dig and when you least expect it.... BAM!!! I met up with a fellow hunter to do a little relic hunting at a old fort site. His day started off with an 1846 Mexican 1/4 reale and then an awesome button, which he ended up finding 2 of. I started off with the usual lead and percussion caps and finally a 1846 Mexican reale as well. I was having a frustrating start with my wireless earbuds cutting out and the other pair not working at all. I tried using wired earbuds on the Equinox, but kept pulling them out almost everytime I set my machine down. Jimmy let me use his ML80's and that helped me settle down and get some serious hunting done.
Jimmy ended up leaving after a few hours and I told him I was going to hunt for another hour and then head to the house. My goal was to at least find a couple of nice buttons to make a day of it, little did I know the fun was about to begin within the next 30 minutes. I worked my way around to the other side of where we had parked, and started finding more lead and a few more percussion caps. I got a screaming 25-26 hit on the Nox, I dug down about 8" and figured I had hit a can or something. I covered the hole, but, thought to myself..... that could be a buckle. I redug the hole and finally pried out a top of an old aluminum can. About 15 minutes later I get an almost identical signal, 25-27, but, when I pinpointed it sounded different. My thought was I was digging a silver coin at depth, so....I was quite a bit more careful with this hole. Almost 8" down I pop out a huge round thingsmiling smiley it didn't register what it was until I picked it up and felt the weight. Then it hit me......no freaking possible way!!!
I saw the back first, then turned it over, the front had about a 1/4" of dirt caked on it, I carefully rubbed it and there it was.... My first breastplate, something I only dreamed of finding and now there it was in my hand. Thank God I didn't dig it like I had dug the other target, no dig marks on either side. Jimmy had found a US buckle a couple of years before, now, I had me a breastplate, something I never thought I dig.[/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img][/img]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 02:36AM by Dan(NM).
Re: 1850's fort site gives up the bucket lister smoking smiley
March 15, 2019 03:38AM
Dan, Great hunt! On my Bucket List for sure. Happy to hear the Nox is working well for you.smileys with beer
March 15, 2019 04:06AM
VERY impressive, Dan! Incredible dig, for your neck of the woods!!!

Congrats on the bucket lister!!

Steve
March 15, 2019 04:13AM
steveg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VERY impressive, Dan! Incredible dig, for your ne
> ck of the woods!!!
>
> Congrats on the bucket lister!!
>
> Steve

Thank you sir...it was big fun today winking smiley
March 15, 2019 04:29AM
Super find, congratulations smileys with beer

A U.S. buckle or breast plate are on my bucket list too, very, very hard to find in California.
March 15, 2019 04:35AM
Great hunt indeed Sir and WTG!

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
March 15, 2019 05:51AM
Wow, what a find! Congrats!
March 15, 2019 07:22AM
Awesome find Dan! Even out here in TN, plates are hard to come by these days.
March 15, 2019 09:25AM
March 15, 2019 10:58AM
Wow! what a rush! Great day, thanks for the pics. That's some dry dirt you're digging in.
March 15, 2019 11:22AM
Sweet digs!!! WTG!!!
March 15, 2019 11:26AM
Congrats on the plate and all the other goodies----a successful hunt by any measure.
March 15, 2019 12:31PM
Fantastic!
March 15, 2019 01:08PM
Wow! Congratulations!!

Dean
March 15, 2019 01:18PM
Thank you guys for the positive comments....Does someone have any recommendations on how to safely clean the plate, thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 01:25PM by Dan(NM).
March 16, 2019 08:26PM
Excellent job Dan = you da man grinning smiley
March 16, 2019 09:03PM
Very nice.
March 17, 2019 05:27PM
Nice!!

Beautiful Breast plate!!!

I like seeing those Pewter 4 holers..!!

That site is pre cvil war 1850s??

Dig some of that big iron too..Military site like that will have alot of iron relics= stirrups,,,lock plates,,bayonet,,Gun parts,,pad locks..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 18, 2019 12:38AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice!!
>
> Beautiful Breast plate!!!
>
> I like seeing those Pewter 4 holers..!!
>
> That site is pre cvil war 1850s??
>
> Dig some of that big iron too..Military site like
> that will have alot of iron relics= stirrups,,,loc
> k plates,,bayonet,,Gun parts,,pad locks..
>
>
> Keith

Thanks Keith,

The fort was occupied from 1851 thru 1862 when it was deserted. A couple of guys were there yesterday and dug 23 mini balls in a area that my buddy and I just haven't had time to get to yet, but, we will be going to come Thursday. Funny you should mention digging the iron, my buddy and I were just talking about that this morning.
March 20, 2019 02:46AM
Congrats on the awesome finds!