Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dug my first Dragoon buttons today smiling smiley

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dug my first Dragoon buttons today smiling smiley
March 22, 2019 03:00AM
I got my 15" coil yesterday just in time for a planned hunt today at a fort dating back to 1851. The morning started off slow because I deviated from my plan and I kinda just wandered around for the first 3 hours without much to show for it. Around noon I finally went to spot and started gridding like I normally do and it started to pay off. The normal stuff began to come to light, percussion caps, lead, trouser buttons and a few odds and ends. At the end off the day I scored my first ever Dragoon button and within 20 minutes or so, hit my second!! I did manage a 3rd button, but I don't have a positive ID yet. It looks to be a one piece, which I believe predates the Dragoons.

My take on the coil.....

I found that I was hitting as small of items as I have with the 11" coil at this site which was impressive! The weight's not that bad, I kept the coil close to my feet and was able to swing it for 7 1/2 hours before switching over to the 11" I think If I would have stopped for lunch, I could have swung it the entire time. The extra coverage was a much needed bonus at this place as it's huge and the sensitivity to small items was icing on the cake. I'll probably use the 15" coil here more often than not as it performed wonderfully.

My settings....

Park 2

15" coil

2-tones

6-recovery

0-iron bias

0-ground balnace

22-sensitivity

Tone break -9 to +8

I tried running a recovery speed of 4, but, due to amount of junk I'd hit with each swing, I bumped it up to 6 which seemed to work just fine.

.[/img][/img][/img]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2019 03:03AM by Dan(NM).
Re: Dug my first Dragoon buttons today smiling smiley
March 22, 2019 04:00AM
Nice finds Dan. Looks like you had a great day...
March 22, 2019 05:12AM
Nice!! I've dug a few Dragoon eagle buttons, but they're pretty rare to dig in California.
March 22, 2019 06:18PM
Very nice Dragoon button find Dan, and a 1-piece Dragoon those are probably even harder to find.

I’ve only dug one a 2-Piece type, Here out west these type of buttons are hard to find.

Congratulations!
Paul
March 23, 2019 12:28AM
March 23, 2019 01:42AM
Nice find Dan.
March 23, 2019 01:50AM
Thank you guys...it felt good to save some history!!
March 23, 2019 02:12AM
Hard to find those anywhere. Much less west coast states like N.M. Nice job !
March 23, 2019 02:17AM
VERY VERY nice buttons, Dan. Nice condition, just beautiful!

Congrats!!

Steve