Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Was wrong about the Tarsacci, it does do well in iron

Posted by Apolonio (CA) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Was wrong about the Tarsacci, it does do well in iron
April 02, 2019 02:42AM
Don’t know where to begin, the MDT 8000 keeps surprising me.

Originally, thought the MDT was not good in iron. Been using MIX mode which does well in open areas away from iron, using mix mode around iron fools me bits and pieces of old iron sound so good. This morning, was fooling with settings in the back yard and noticed when using disc mode wasn’t hearing those false signals. This afternoon, went to an old 1870-1930 school site, all that remains are farm equipment and a planket of iron. We’ve hammered this site for years, the Tarsacci pulled out 20-30 targets mostly junk. But a mercury dime, button and an old children’s cowboy/horse buckel did surface today.

Those that own the Tarsacci, and are fortunate to live near old settlements laced with iron try disc mode. Think you’ll be very surprised, please share your experiences using disc mode in areas with iron.

My settings were,

Sensitivity 5
Disc mode
Discrimination -10 to 0...... if I went too low on discrimination then was getting fooled again.
St/Salt Off
Black Sand Off
18 kHz
Threshold -2 or -1

Also, compared several detectors with the MDT 8000 in tough soil. I’ll list them below, buried targets are not that deep, but soil is very tough. A nickel buried at 10” inches, a copper penny at 8” inches. The MDT 8000 fared the best, both targets repeatable signals. Only the TDI would hit both, and it wasn’t as stong as the MDT and the TDI was noisy from the tough ground.

Tarsacci MDT 8000
Whites TDI with Reg Snift mods (Rick from AZ old TDI)
Blisstool V6
Whites MX-Sport
Deus with 9” HF coil
Minelab Equniox

All of these detectors have their strengths, just in poor soil they loose depth. The TDI can handle poor soil, unfortunately this particular farmland area has chemicals in the ground that effects depth and with the TDI effects stability as well. Even the ATX can’t handle this soil, only a GPX and the MDT 8000.

I’ll try and post pictures, thanks for looking.
Paul

I’ve tossed in a picture of a drone, want to share high tech drones are now a part of my equipment. They help with research, and are my eyes when searching for Native American villages or lost 1800-1900 settlements. They are amazing, can travel up to 12 miles and stay in the air for 25-30 minutes. Have located several villages, and found Native American pictographs on rock walls and entrances of rock caves.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 03:00AM by Apolonio (CA).
Re: Was wrong about the Tarsacci, it does do well in iron
April 02, 2019 03:06AM
Great stuff Paul. Always a pleasure to read your posts and hear what you have to say.

Love the idea of using a drone for research.

Wonder if a small coil is in the works for the MDT 8000 at some point.
April 02, 2019 03:07AM
Some cool pics Paul.
May try to get out with Tarsacci tomorrow.
If wind is not too bad may do some video.
Do have external speaker to boost audio so folks can hear.

We’ll see.
April 02, 2019 03:19AM
Welcome back friend - it’s good that you have news - and that the news brought you back. Funny thing about social media - it engages us in different ways at different times - again - thanks for sharing.

P.S. what kind of drone?

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 03:20AM by lytle78.
April 02, 2019 04:50AM
therover61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great stuff Paul. Always a pleasure to read your p
> osts and hear what you have to say.
>
> Love the idea of using a drone for research.
>
> Wonder if a small coil is in the works for the MDT
> 8000 at some point.

Hello John,

I’m not sure if Dimitar has coils in the works, auctually the stock coil is pretty good. Close to an all purpose coil as one can get, very good depth for its size.

Two local friends (Denny and Mickey) interduced the drones to me, coming off RC airplanes drones have more to offer. Great for research, take both video or pictures even at great distances low elevation. Can view signs of settlements, or Native American villages few feet off the ground miles away. Have permission from land owners to fly on thousands of acres, great tool.

Good to hear from you smiling smiley
Paul
April 02, 2019 04:53AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Some cool pics Paul.
> May try to get out with Tarsacci tomorrow.
> If wind is not too bad may do some video.
> Do have external speaker to boost audio so folks c
> an hear.
>
> We’ll see.

Hello David,

That’s a great idea using an audio amplifier booster with the Tarsacci, agree with video it’ll help viewers hear the audio.

Good luck, keep posting those Videos smiling smiley

Paul
April 02, 2019 05:03AM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Welcome back friend - it’s good that you have news
> - and that the news brought you back. Funny thing
> about social media - it engages us in different wa
> ys at different times - again - thanks for sharing
> .
>
> P.S. what kind of drone?

Hello Rick,

Same here good to hear from you, always a treat reading your material.

The drone in the picture is a Mavic 2 Pro, top of the line drone. Have others those too are long range, these are modified for longer range and low level flights at great distances. They are equipment for research, great tool truly amazing what they can accomplish covering so much terrain in such a short period.

Been off the forums, wasn’t until recently after getting the Tarsacci that brought me back.

Thank old friend,
Paul
April 02, 2019 08:13AM
Good to hear Paul since all I hunt now is colonial sites in nasty red clay. Still not sure I need one. Yet!
April 02, 2019 09:42AM
Paul,

Stunning performance discovery...…. and REALLY stunning photos! Quite the: out-of-the-proverbial-box 'thinking'.
April 02, 2019 10:10AM
This has been quite a different "roll out" then any detector I can remember. With feedback coming in from skilled operators how will the detector be updated to incorporate said feedback. It's like your still in a testing phase. At a price point of 1500 it's hard for me,even though I can, order one. Now from an educational experience it's very interesting.
cdv
April 02, 2019 10:37AM
Paul, first off, great photos..... incorporating the drone really is interesting....but over here I'd probably get in trouble with the scenery in the water.... :-)

As for your settings you posted did you switch over to Mixed Mode to check target response?

Your post makes me wonder IF the lowered sensitivity would work for me on the beach so I'll be sure to find a spot with numerous targets (mostly ferrous) and give it a try. Right now I've been using this machine for depth mostly but with fresh drop season coming up, this setup just may work well.

Keep the informative posts coming!

Cliff
April 02, 2019 01:17PM
texkinzee Wrote:
> Good to hear Paul since all I hunt now is colonial
> sites in nasty red clay. Still not sure I need one
> . Yet!

Hello George,

That’s were the Tarsacci will do well, nastier the soil it looses less depth over other top end. Love the Deus, Equniox, Blisstool V6 and other top end in good ground but when the soil get’s tough they are loosing depth in my soil.

Hope you get the opportunity to try one in your soil, think you’ll be impressed. The MDT is already my grab and go detector. If I had only two to choose from, Deus and MDT.

Take care old friend
Paul
April 02, 2019 01:25PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Stunning performance discovery...…. and REALLY
> stunning photos! Quite the: out-of-the-proverbial
> -box 'thinking'.

Hello Tom,

With the Tarsacci, Mix mode out in open areas is terrific. Yesterday’s discrovery using disc mode in an iron laced site was an eye opener, was able to seprate even the smallest of finds from the iron. Still, in the learning stages with disc mode it’s different yet effective. Hope to get out again next weekend, back to work today.

Thanks Tom!
April 02, 2019 01:46PM
cdv Wrote:
> Paul, first off, great photos..... incorporating t
> he drone really is interesting....but over here I'
> d probably get in trouble with the scenery in the
> water.... :-)
>
> As for your settings you posted did you switch ove
> r to Mixed Mode to check target response?
>
> Your post makes me wonder IF the lowered sensitivi
> ty would work for me on the beach so I'll be sure
> to find a spot with numerous targets (mostly ferro
> us) and give it a try. Right now I've been using t
> his machine for depth mostly but with fresh drop s
> eason coming up, this setup just may work well.
>
> Keep the informative posts coming!
>
> Cliff

Hello Cliff,

I’m still learning disc mode hunting in iron, I choose sensitivity 5 because of all the iron, it’s a blanket of iron so i really didn’t know were to start on sensitivity in the low end.

I did switch over to Mix mode on many targets, auctually prefer Mix mode but it fools me in areas with iron. Some bits and pieces of square nail heads or other iron pieces sound so good, so I use Mix mode out in open areas away from iron. Tried disc mode out in open areas but it isn’t as deep as Mix mode, so I assumed disc mode was a dud for relic hunting. Was I wrong, disc mode in areas thick with iron will give the Tarsacci user separation. However, as long as discrimination isn’t set too low otherwise it’ll fool you if running discrimination too negative. I need to experiment more, I found-10 to 0 disc was helping me not hear the false signals. Would prefer going lower to hear more iron but going too negative seemed to enhance falsing.

Hopefully get out this weekend, now that I’ve had good experiences with disc mode in iron going to use this mode more often in areas with iron.

Thanks Cliff!
Paul
April 02, 2019 04:00PM
Great report! Good to hear the info and details regarding the iron, haven’t heard much about that yet.

Hoping to be swing a 8000 soon!

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
April 02, 2019 04:15PM
I love that part:

Have located several villages, and found Native American pictographs on rock walls and entrances of rock caves.

Well done

RR
April 02, 2019 04:31PM
Aaron Wrote:
> Great report! Good to hear the info and details re
> garding the iron, haven’t heard much about that ye
> t.
>
> Hoping to be swing a 8000 soon!
>
> Aaron

Hello Aaron,

At the beginning, wasn’t familiar with the Disc audio. It’s different, TnSharpshooter mentions on one of his videos the MDT sounds like an AKA series metal detector. So I avoided disc mode and preferred using Mix mode. Each mode has its strengths, apparently disc mode is helping me wade through all the iron.

Below are all of the MDT finds from two sites, including the 1900 v-nickel from an old park and yesterday’s mercury dime. The remaining funds are pistol balls, few musket, few buttons and mid 1850 finds. Mostly lead, still stuff that would have been hard to get with other top end. The Tarsacci is a keeper, I think you’ll enjoy using yours.

Thanks Aaron, keep us posted if you get the MDT 8000.
Paul

April 02, 2019 04:48PM
Rivers rat Wrote:
> I love that part:
>
> Have located several villages, and found Nat
> ive American pictographs on rock walls and entranc
> es of rock caves.

>
>
> Well done
>
>
> RR

Hello RR,

In the near future, will post a separate post with pictures of Native American villages in my area. Pictures taken from a drone, the land owner allows me to share with friends and family even on a forum. But what I can’t share on the internet are pictographs.

With high tech drones, can maneuver up mountains and even fly inside cave entrances to look inside, truly amazing how technology has advanced. Can be miles away yet fly up close to these settlements, will Post a pic of mortar holes on some rocks, Native Americans used these to pound/grind acorns or other foods.

Thanks for the interest, wasn’t sure how forum members would take to pics like these. With this particular picture, I was about 1.5 miles parked below maneuvering the drone. The property owner allows me to fly here.
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2019 04:49PM by Apolonio (CA).
April 02, 2019 05:36PM
Paul,
.....now if you could just train your drone to carry your shovel......
April 02, 2019 05:46PM
Paul, very interesting and great photo's. HH jim tn
April 02, 2019 06:34PM
Hi Paul,

For your drone recons ,are you using the VR glasses for precision flying?

Best,
Brian
April 02, 2019 06:35PM
Paul, please stop talking about your drones, or I’m gonna have to get one!

I spend too much money on my detectors and equipment as it is!

Good thing I’m still single : )

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
April 03, 2019 06:47AM
Rod-PA Wrote:
> Paul,
> .....now if you could just train your drone to car
> ry your shovel......

Hello Rod,

Auctually, have something in the works on a future drone project. Will need to get a Phantom 4, it’s capable of carrying large loads at great distances. Wireless to boot, hopefully get it done before fall arrives.

Your shovel suggestion is close smiling smiley
Paul
April 03, 2019 06:49AM
jim tn Wrote:
> Paul, very interesting and great photo's. HH jim t
> n

Thanks Jim,

I’ll share a separate post of pictures in the future, great stuff will probably cause some detectorists to go out and buy a dronesmiling smiley

Thanks again,
Paul
April 03, 2019 06:58AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> For your drone recons ,are you using the VR glasse
> s for precision flying?
>
> Best,
> Brian

Hello Brian,

Not using goggles anymore, use a tablet now gives me an open screen to maneuver with precision flying. Can auctually fly inside entrances of rock caves, or in between foliage or sides of Rocky Mountains. Plus, can recover a drone at great distances if it goes down. Using another drone to fly out and bring it back, technology is amazing.

Take care,
Paul
April 03, 2019 07:10AM
Aaron Wrote:
> Paul, please stop talking about your drones, or I’
> m gonna have to get one!
>
> I spend too much money on my detectors and equipme
> nt as it is!
>
> Good thing I’m still single : )
>
> Aaron

Hello Aaron,

I use several drones, each serve a purpose.

If you do consider getting one look at the Mavic 2 Pro, not the original Mavic Pro but the Mavic 2 Pro. It’ll fly six miles as crow flies and six miles back on a full charge. It’ll auctually fly further but it won’t make it back Battery will run out, my record was 8.5 miles out before reception quit, had to return and land it in a plowed field miles away when the Battery ran low. They have GPS to track, plus I use an additional mini tracker that tracks anywhere on the planet. A few times, had drones go down miles away but with the tracker was able to walk right up to them.

Seriously, they are a blast and great for research. Hope you get one, you won’t regret itsmiling smiley
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2019 07:11AM by Apolonio (CA).
April 03, 2019 04:19PM
Apolonio (CA) Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > For your drone recons ,are you using the VR glas
> se
> > s for precision flying?
> >
> > Best,
> > Brian
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> Not using goggles anymore, use a tablet now gives
> me an open screen to maneuver with precision flyin
> g. Can auctually fly inside entrances of rock cav
> es, or in between foliage or sides of Rocky Mounta
> ins. Plus, can recover a drone at great distances
> if it goes down. Using another drone to fly out an
> d bring it back, technology is amazing.
>
> Take care,
> Paul

ROFL
....George, will you look at that...its two drones, flying...err....they're mating???
April 03, 2019 06:46PM
Apolonio (CA) Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > For your drone recons ,are you using the VR glasses for precision flying?
> >
> > Best,
> > Brian
>
> Hello Brian,
>
> Not using goggles anymore, use a tablet now gives me an open screen to maneuver with precision flying. Can auctually fly inside entrances of rock caves, or in between foliage or sides of Rocky Mountains. Plus, can recover a drone at great distances
> if it goes down. Using another drone to fly out and bring it back, technology is amazing.
>
> Take care,
> Paul

Hi Paul,

Interesting, it looks like you've got the drones all figured out thumbs down

I tried using a tablet on mine, but found that in the sun it was pretty tough to view. I know they make those box-like covers to shade them, but I was thinking the VR googles might be the ticket for distance precision flying.

HH,
Brian
April 04, 2019 12:41PM
Just when I thought I was out...you guys pull me back in.

Time to do an inventory of my arsenal, pick out some of the victims and put em up for sale to finance a Mavic 2 Pro !

Darn it !!!!
April 04, 2019 02:20PM
Hello Brian,

Yes, the brightness from the sun can reduce tablet or phones screen clarity. On settings, will change Display and Brightness to 100% and change Audi-Lock to NEVER. This helps a lot and stays locked especially out in direct sunlight. I don’t use a hood, but these settings greatly improve the screen.

An addition to having a Mavic 2Pro, have several Bebop 2 drones each modified with amplifiers including the controllers. These only have a range of 2.1 miles as crow flies but they can maneuver in areas with inference due to the added amplifier boosters.

Maybe sometime when we get together on a hunt, let’s bring our drones and make it a detector and drone day.

See you later in the year smiling smiley
Paul