Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

smiling bouncing smileyWent to compare detectors and found a nice one right out the gate smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
smiling bouncing smileyWent to compare detectors and found a nice one right out the gate smiling bouncing smiley
April 06, 2019 07:23PM
A funny story actually. I arrived at site and was thinking about which detecftor to use first to find a target to compare. I chose Eqx 800 and took off. I get this strong signal with 13 in the window. Said to myself golly this thing sounds like it’s on top of ground. Went to truck to get pinointer just to see how shallow. . Garrett propointer pointer hit strong so I moved some of the sprigs of grass and sage around and saw something. As soon as I layed eyes on it I knew what it was. But the ID told me it was not genuine. I did a small video checking with Etrac.
Will post pics of actual what I found and will then post pics with what I found with the real McCoy’s (found earlier in my detecting career in this same general area of 90 acres. Btw high odds I dug this target not today but a few days ago. Better to be lucky than good I guess. This find was unearthed with either Tarsacci or Eqx 800. Don’t know which one. Suspect it was colocated with flat button or musket ball and once I found one of those I was satisfied and moved on. I may not even have detected either flat button or musketball before but rather this bit. Go figure. This happened once before with me on a merc dime nicke scenario. But I caught on the same day. Not days later. Find reads 13 on Nox and 07 conductive on Etrac. Definitely not silver.

Here’s pic of my actual find.
Suspect fake Spanish bit.

This video here I am putting here so folks can watch. Notice the back of these fakes. Key on the letters RE near the rim and the detail below on coins.
[m.youtube.com]

Here’s pic.
Real McCoys on the left I found in area. On the right 2 fakes. Capped bust dime and bit. Broke fake dime trying to straighten a little.

Edited 11 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 01:45AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: smiling bouncing smileyWent to compare detectors and found a nice one right out the gate smiling bouncing smiley
April 06, 2019 11:23PM
Interesting find, it does appear to be cast and a different metal vs the real McCoy examples! Do you suspect it was a period counterfeit ?

HH,
Cal
Re: smiling bouncing smileyWent to compare detectors and found a nice one right out the gate smiling bouncing smiley
April 06, 2019 11:37PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting find, it does appear to be cast and a
> different metal vs the real McCoy examples! Do yo
> u suspect it was a period counterfeit ?
>
> HH,
> Cal

Yes
Found across road from fake capped bust dime and near all the other bits that are real ones. And this bigger coin looking thing I found couple days ago.
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 01:46AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 07, 2019 03:06PM
Tnnss, I’m sure your cap bust dime is real. It’s melted and got very hot in a fire. I have dug several examples of fire damaged silver coins. Thanks Todd Fayard
April 20, 2019 02:13AM
Blackflag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tnnss, I’m sure your cap bust dime is real. It’s m
> elted and got very hot in a fire. I have dug sever
> al examples of fire damaged silver coins. Thanks T
> odd Fayard

Black flag,
I think you may be right.
I checked on Nox.
Bigger part of the 2 parts. It read# 21//22 on Nox. The smaller piece reads 18.
In the pic above. The capped bust whatever parts haven’t been cleaned any since I found. Seems it is not tarnishing much.
I thought it wa ps real when I found it.
Someone here said it was a contemporary.
I can’t be 100% certain either way.
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Might make a good experiment. To test silver dime with Etrac. And heat up real good (not melt,totally just slightly deform. ) with torch. Then recheck and see what ID reads.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 02:33AM by tnsharpshooter.