Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Etrac users survey as far as relic hunting or even looking for some coins lower and mid conductive

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
For those that use Etrac.
Would you while detecting ever dig signals reading like 32 ferrous with mid to lower conductive numbers like between 01-36 ?
Or even dig targets reading 35 ferrous with conductive numbers of say between 01 and say 35 approximately??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2019 08:39PM by tnsharpshooter.
I suppose it would depend on where (what era site) I was detecting.

Dean
The only reason I asked.
Some folks may get in their thinking when using Etrac, especially beginners that anything ringing up say 32 -35 ferrous across the entire conductive number spectrum is ferrous under their coil. This is not true. The 2 tone ferrous mode/disc talked about in Manual is misleading too. 2 tone ferrous is unworthy way to run Etrac.
I have some video I will share in a while. Some new Etrac users may find helpful.

I even had to catch myself today with some loose talk about ferrous area while doing some videos.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 01:38AM by tnsharpshooter.
David,
I have done well in iron infested sites using the little SEF "butterfly" coil in TTF. The trick, I believe, is that you MUST have an open screen.
This type of hunting is not the E-TRAC's strong suit but it can manage pretty well. I definitely prefer the Nox or the Deus in this situation.

BTW, I enjoyed your videos using the Anfibio Multi.

Dean
I would never dig anything over 20 on the Ferrous side myself as always iron when I did. But I am deep Coin hunting not Relic hunting. On deep coins the Ferrous will rise some but never over 20 in My ground anyways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 02:21PM by Harold,ILL..
bado1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David,
> I have done well in iron infested sites using the
> little SEF "butterfly" coil in TTF. The trick, I b
> elieve, is that you MUST have an open screen.
> This type of hunting is not the E-TRAC's strong su
> it but it can manage pretty well. I definitely pre
> fer the Nox or the Deus in this situation.
>
> BTW, I enjoyed your videos using the Anfibio Multi
> .
>
>
> Dean

Thanks Dean.
Some of the videos especially the comparison videos could be for some painful to watch. Maybe so, but what other way is there for a person to share the real deal with what’s happening as far as a detector model over a suspect target. Folks here some at least didn’t like it so much when I wrote out my results longhand. So more videos coming here.

And folks can thank the gent named Calabash for steering me to the mighty go pro camera !!!
I learn things to even doing the videos comparing detectors.

I will try to compare Etrac over some targets in the wild. And compare TTF with open screen vs conductive 50 tones with some disc on right side from 27-35 disc out.
I think I know the results.
But we’ll see on video.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 02:24PM by tnsharpshooter.
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I would never dig anything over 20 on the Ferrous
> side myself as always iron when I did. But I am de
> ep Coin hunting not Relic hunting. On deep coins t
> he Ferrous will rise some but never over 20 in My
> ground anyways.

Um.
So is it soil (minerals) that is the only driver of ferrous number reporting on Etrac???

Something open to discussion.
I have my ideas.

Could Etrac actually report a 32 ferrous number over a buried nickel in Calabash’s sweet soil in old site?
Could a buried $ 2.50 gold coin report a 35 ferrous number in Harold’s soil in old site ?

Hint = rust, etc

The answers to the questions above = Yes

There’s is a possilbilty where and I’ll use this phrase here, “when all the stars and planets are aligned”.
Meaning the scenario has to be just right and may involve a combo of soil minerals and or ferrous material of some sort and or depth.
And the size and shape of nonferrous item will decide how much of all the whatevers above hold the Etrac reporting at bay. And report the way it does. Direction (angular) of sweep part of equation too.
The ferrous number reporting and behavior actually is imo if one will watch = a teachable moment as far as VLF detector ops. Imo of course.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 03:11PM by tnsharpshooter.
When I had the eTrac and CTX, I learned more in watching one single video on YouTube than all the forum threads and other videos combined. That was a video that a guy named Cut A Plug did on digging deep coins. My take from that was...number hunters leave a lot in the ground. He puts together a video of live digs on deep silver where the numbers are all over the map. Forget the 12 fe line stuff. Open screen it and dig everything lol

I'd just about bet that low to mid conductors are the same way.
I will also add the Etrac is suprisingly good on deep V and Buff nickels once You learn what to hear and look for. Deep Silver is a No brainer any Newb can find it right out the box. But deep nickels take some time as deepies will still hold a 11-17 conductive and up to a 20 Ferrous and depth meter buried.
Most claim it is only hot on silver as never took time to learn the lower conductor tones and number signals. Once learned it is as good as a CZ on Nickels. The Etrac is a lot more than a silver slayer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2019 04:52PM by Harold,ILL..
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> When I had the eTrac and CTX, I learned more in wa
> tching one single video on YouTube than all the fo
> rum threads and other videos combined. That was a
> video that a guy named Cut A Plug did on digging d
> eep coins. My take from that was...number hunters
> leave a lot in the ground. He puts together a vide
> o of live digs on deep silver where the numbers ar
> e all over the map. Forget the 12 fe line stuff.
> Open screen it and dig everything lol
>
> I'd just about bet that low to mid conductors are
> the same way.

Daniel,
I remember that same video. An eye opener for sure. Here, in the land of no rain, the targets generally aren't that deep but, on occasion, I will get that weird signal that sounds great with strange numbers and it turns out to be a good non ferrous target. I'm guessing that's due to co-located ferrous skewing the numbers. If it sounds good regardless of the numbers it gets dug!

Dean
>
> Daniel,
> I remember that same video. I will get
> that weird signal that sounds great with strange n
> umbers and it turns out to be a good non ferrous t
> arget. If it sounds good regardle
> ss of the numbers it gets dug!
>
> Dean

Dean, You just described how 'unexpected gold finds' can sound when stumbling along detecting an old familiar patch, a new area or in a back yard!
AND, the kicker is, the sound is so 'unfamiliar' and 'weird sounding' that you (not you personally Dean) say to yourself, "Jeez...that is SO weird sounding that it has to be junk! I think I'll leave that behind!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2019 11:17AM by Des D.
Des,
Very good point! I'm sure I've left good gold finds in the ground because they sounded "wrong" and the numbers were in the "junk" range.

Dean
Have this old old site. Has a tree in it. I bet I swept this one whatever 40 times with both Etrac and CTX for 5 years on and off (both stock and 6” coils). Sounded like one of those old car horns signal wise. Like could be a big piece of iron or something. Hit this same spot with Nokta Impact while testing with smallest football coil, and bang get good tone and pretty darn good ID. War nickel there the whole time near iron.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2019 01:17PM by tnsharpshooter.
bado1 Wrote:
> Des,
> Very good point! I'm sure I've left good gold find
> s in the ground because they sounded "wrong" and t
> he numbers were in the "junk" range.
>
> Dean

You don't have to be using a good 'signal tonal interpreter' like a 'Sovereign, or any other make of detector that can produce 'longer signals'
You can also get the 'buzziness and full round sound' with a 'beep-and-dig' such as a plain old 'Tesoro; as well! If the "ring" is flat and 2" to 6" deep and totally isolated with no other targets nearby
The sounds can be so unusual and different from the daily responses of coin, pull tab and bottle cap signals, that it'd be easy to interpret 'trash' due to a somewhat lazeeeee..signal response that doesn't happen every hunt, mightn't happen for years and the user is just not 'tuned in' pardon the pun!'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2019 02:49PM by Des D.
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I will also add the Etrac is suprisingly good on d
> eep V and Buff nickels once You learn what to hear
> and look for. Deep Silver is a No brainer any Newb
> can find it right out the box. But deep nickels ta
> ke some time as deepies will still hold a 11-17 co
> nductive and up to a 20 Ferrous and depth meter bu
> ried.
> Most claim it is only hot on silver as never took
> time to learn the lower conductor tones and number
> signals. Once learned it is as good as a CZ on Nic
> kels. The Etrac is a lot more than a silver slayer
> .
I agree with Harold. My etrac is better at hitting and accurately IDing nickels than any machine I've had. The F19 being second followed by my CZ5. Here's just one video of the etrac hitting some Minnie balls. One or two are real deep. [youtu.be]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
The E-Trac and CTX were better at Nickels then most people gave them credit for, but nothing has nailed deep Old Nickels like my Equinox..
I have owned all the Nickel slayers mentioned above but none of them could hit a 10” Nickel in my soil like the Equinox.
FBS was good to about 8” on average for Nickels with the big coils.
Nickel ID accuracy to full depth is better on my Nox too. FBS Nickel ID suffered at depth.

Using Park 1, I have never found a V, Buffalo or Shield Nickel that has gave an ID outside of 12-13. Not one.
After a full year I have only found 3 Nickels that strayed from 12-13. One was a War Nickel and two were new issue surface find Nickels.

When I find a potential Nickel signal, I hit it from two directions and if I see a flash of 11 or 14 it will not be a Nickel.
Most of the time it is a broken beaver tail or some other form of can slaw.

I know that depending on ID for digs is a big no no, but when hunting city parks, where you need to be discreet,
I have after a full year of experimenting implemented this tight 12-13 range to my routine with fantastic results.
My old Nickel count has close to doubled and the extra depth has now gotten me into the Shield Nickel range for the first time after many years.

High Conductors are a different story. Much bigger range.

Bryan
Agreed, Bryan.
The Nox is a nickel slayer. My experiences are the same as yours on the Nox nickel ID range. 12-13. If it hits 11 or 14 it's not a nickel.

Dean
I use a Etrac and I dig the 30's, on the beach and land, if deep on the beach, it can be a nail or clad or even silver, on land it's seem to be more nails ans clad, if it repeats, I dig