Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Extreme Enjoyment

Posted by markg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Extreme Enjoyment
April 08, 2019 02:26PM
Extreme enjoyment.
This might not seem like much but this small school (built in the late 30’s) has been hunted for over 10 years. With machines like the:
Tesoro Tejon
Garrett AT Pro
White’s DFX, V3i
Fisher F75 and LTD
Minelab Etrac, and CTX 3030
And now the Equinox 800
Countless hours hunting from three guys including myself. Now I will say we’ve found some nice stuff from this site over the past 10 years and we all thought it was cleaned out but surprise, it’s not, yea I know they never are. But I was not expecting this many nickels and some over 6” deep. Then the silver nickel at maybe 5” and tilted to maybe a 45 degree angle.
I will say this machine has a very good audio response but one has to listen and learn. I did the usual noise cancel and started off with park 1. I wasn’t really happy so I tried each of the park/field programs and ended back with park 1 with one change, I set the iron bias to 0. It didn’t take long and I knew this was the settings for the day. Numerous times I tried park 2 and the two field programs but it seemed like park 1 was the very best at both a good audio and stable ID on located buried targets. After a while I started wondering why these targets had been missed. Taking my time, I stared rotating around each target and I was quite amazed at how stable the audio/ID. These were absolutely dig, dig signals, no doubts about it, with the exception of the silver nickel. If the silver had not given a double beep I might have walked away but I’m glad I didn’t. Well, toward the end of the hunt I purposely moved to the trashy area of the school and wow this machine, even with the 11” coil separates very well. I might add, the old Minelab wiggle I used with the Etac and explorer works with the Equinox too. Found a somewhat nice signal that I thought might be a nickel. Did the wiggle and marked the spot. Called my buddy over to check the spot. He gave no indication it could be a good target but at 5” comes another nickel and surrounded by heavy trash. Well we had to leave and to be honest I felt sorry for him because he had not dug anything but trash. Now I’m beginning to wonder if I should buy the 6” coil and hit the trash again.
Extremely satisfied user

Re: Extreme Enjoyment
April 08, 2019 03:24PM
Great report, Mark.

HH
Mike
April 08, 2019 04:16PM
Good findings all round.

Did you mean to include a photo? (a pink box there?)

I did not find the 'Sov wiggle' any use on the Nox (600) as its so extremely fast processing anyway so it negated any effect?
Maybe the 800 is different in that Dept.
April 08, 2019 05:39PM
I thought I could insert a picture from my picture folder but couldn't make it work. Seems to me the photo's need to be stored on an external website like photo bucket etc. Wow, it's been a long time since I posted a picture.
April 08, 2019 10:07PM
Yep the minelab wiggle I learned on my Sov works well on the Equinox as well to bring up those iffy signals.
April 09, 2019 12:09AM
Very nice write up Mark!

I too was pleasantly surprised w the MINELAB wiggle on the 800. I loved it w the Explorer and Etrac but it wasn’t there w the CTX.

Agreed on the separation w the 11” coil and go’s pretty deep too.

The 6” is really sweet in the trash like the other MINELABS, however this time it’s fast too!

Yeah get that 6” over at the school and let us know.

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2019 01:17AM by Aaron.
April 12, 2019 07:24AM
Good write up Mark. I have to agree with your findings in every way. Only difference is I pretty much stick with Park 2 but I do get the same results at those hunted for 10 years or more sites. Will have to set up Park 1 in in user profile and compare. Really hard to believe the walk around signals you can get where other machines don't see the non-ferrous or only get it from a small window of angle(s).