Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The EQUINOX First 40hrs Observations....

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The EQUINOX First 40hrs Observations....
April 17, 2019 02:12PM
I obviously do not have very much time on this machine however, I have to say the more I use it the more I like it it and appreciate it. Ive used it almost as time in the water as I’ve used it on land. The observations Ive noticed the most are in the water. I’ve been water hunting for over 30 years now and I’ve never had a machine this powerful in the water. Some of the things I’m finding are so small I practically need my reading glasses to see. I had to stop using my Stealth Scoop and go back to my old SunSpot scoop cause the holes were to big. Finding tiny stuff like those like ears on the bottom off the screwtops are being picked up. Those things read/sound really good at (1).

Question....unless someone’s already been here, where’s all the small gold?

There’s still lots of old pulltabs, coins & wheats in this old lake and I have found a couple of gold rings and earring last couple weeks so it’s not being hunted much.

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
Re: The EQUINOX First 40hrs Observations....
April 17, 2019 02:23PM
Perhaps a factor is that, as all or us are well aware, gold is a lot denser than aluminum and therefore if the conditions allow, will tend to sink deeper. Small objects deep are tough targets for any detector.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
April 17, 2019 03:10PM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I obviously do not have very much time on this mac
> hine however, I have to say the more I use it the
> more I like it it and appreciate it. Ive used it a
> lmost as time in the water as I’ve used it on land
> . The observations Ive noticed the most are in the
> water. I’ve been water hunting for over 30 years n
> ow and I’ve never had a machine this powerful in t
> he water. Some of the things I’m finding are so sm
> all I practically need my reading glasses to see.
> I had to stop using my Stealth Scoop and go back t
> o my old SunSpot scoop cause the holes were to big
> . Finding tiny stuff like those like ears on the b
> ottom off the screwtops are being picked up. Those
> things read/sound really good at (1).
>
> Question....unless someone’s already been here, wh
> ere’s all the small gold?
>
> There’s still lots of old pulltabs, coins & wheats
> in this old lake and I have found a couple of gold
> rings and earring last couple weeks so it’s not be
> ing hunted much.

I had the same thoughts as you. I have a lake beach I have hunted for almost 20 years now. To say that I've hunted it thoroughly would be the grossest of understatements. Last year I took my EQX to see if I could find some of those gold chains and other small gold that MUST SURELY be still hiding there. I dug so much low conductor trash youd think the water had never been touched before. I brought in my gold dredge because I was getting targets the scoop couldn't hold (plus its just a lot of fun). I found tiny shards of rotted aluminum cans, broken bits of pull tabs, charms off bracelets, cheap necklace/bracelet clasps, I even found earring backers and a gold stud pearl earring. I also dug more gold rings from that beach than I found in the 20 years previous. What I never found was a single gold chain. Maybe they're just too tiny or maybe a combination of small signal size for the depths they are at. But for all the tiny, tiny junk I detected I should have recovered any gold chains if I went across them. Maybe people dont really lose chains as often as we would expect.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================
April 17, 2019 03:45PM
?What??? Equinox??? That's so last year!?
April 17, 2019 03:47PM
I had high expectations for gold chains as well. Those 10k rope chains were extremely popular here in the 1990s. I hunted all summer long and even after the water levels were brought down...dug every signal to be had in certain swim areas. Not 1 single gold chain. Nearly 20 rings with the Nox out of 3 holes but no chains. My only golds were found inland.
April 17, 2019 04:01PM
Are you using the Prospecting mode to scan for the smaller gold?

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 17, 2019 04:01PM
Nice write-up! OK, so no chains, but sounds like it's doing great on RINGS thumbs down

I had beginners luck with my EQ800 and bagged a nice 18K ring right out of the gate, but none since. I've been hoping to nab a gold coin with it, but aside from one promising spot, the rest have been well hunted, but it's been lighting some of them up again. I've dug 16 seated dimes/half dimes so far this year from HARD HIT sites, it loves silver, hoping there's a gold coin still hiding I can get my coil over.
April 17, 2019 04:08PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Perhaps a factor is that, as all or us are well aw
> are, gold is a lot denser than aluminum and theref
> ore if the conditions allow, will tend to sink dee
> per. Small objects deep are tough targets for an
> y detector.

Yes, that was considered however correct me if I’m wrong but gold chains are not goin to sink like a gold ring. Chains (unless worn by Mr T) do not have the surface area/weight like a ring that cuts through the sand.

My aunt has a few chains and got them out for me last night. Those real thin small link chains are not detectable unless their bunched up. Remember the old herring bone chains from the 80’s those hit pretty good, a VDI at 1.

My point is this. I’m finding coins, tabs, old tabs, coins and old coins and gold rings. Also micro pieces of aluminum. There’s gotta be chains here.

I’ve only found a section of chain once and by chance it was in the same hole as a coin!

Call me crazy, but I think at this point I’d rather find a small gold chain than a big gold ring! It’s just the challenge!

April 17, 2019 04:28PM
...Please...forgive me but...for the 14yrs I was with Moon Lab, and ever since then I cannot understand why people were / are so fixated on gold chains???

Give me Gold RINGS any day baby!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 04:29PM by Des D.
April 17, 2019 04:57PM
Des D Wrote:
> ...Please...forgive me but...for the 14yrs I was w
> ith Moon Lab, and ever since then I cannot
> understand why people were / are [size=x-lar
> ge]so fixated[/size][/i][/b] on gold chains???
>
> [b][i][size=medium]Give me Gold RINGS any day baby
> !!![/size][/i][/b]

It's just the challenge Des.-----I'm with you---"gimme da gold rings baby"!!!!-----Stinkin p.t.'s keep gettin in my way tho!winking smiley
April 17, 2019 06:48PM
Des....I got 6 gold chains last year ....one was nearly 50 grams. Aaron they may not sink...but the do move to any low area and can be buried quickly. For the most Des....we have a much better chance at rings. The machine does fairly well on small gold....and I had my best year hitting high K ...I believe I even got two 24k rings. Seems very hard to come by. I don’t believe nearly as many chains are lost as rings. But man it’s a bad day when you find those crosses or other charms you know were on a chain. Des ... anytime you have something that hard to find......it’s a challenge more than anything....and you always wonder will my detector find one. The Nox will. The one thing I’ve started to dislike is those aluminum chair punch outs....ugh. Plus we have some really unbelievably small pieces of melted aluminum. If I don’t see yellow in the wet sand i kick and go. I’ve gotten pretty good on the tiny stuff in the water even with my scoop having 1/2” holes. For the most part ....I know their sound, size and digit....I’ll pass um sometimes.
April 17, 2019 06:59PM
Dew, one of the things that’s bugging me is what the Equinox ((could)) have been before it was “dumbed” down. If we weren’t finding rings that day we would mostly likely found small gold, (i.e. chains, earrings) Like Tom told me “you wouldn’t believe how much gold your walking over”.

“aluminum chair punch outs”???

April 17, 2019 07:23PM
Yes those really TINY punch outs on chairs. To me when the did the new down load it seemed to either make the beach modes a little closer in depth than they were. It seems everyone wants to find chains ....but don’t want to deal with the down side....tiny tiny targets..
April 17, 2019 07:33PM
Yeah, it’s a lot more frustrating when your wadding and it keeps going through the scoop. Ever time I get a Equinox VDI of 1-5 I can count on 2 things, (1) it’s gonna be real small and (2) it’s gonna gonna fall through the scoop, if I’m not careful. No joy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2019 07:54PM by Aaron.