Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Backpacking Metal Detectors

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Backpacking Metal Detectors
April 20, 2019 03:48PM
I was wondering what type backpack set up some of You use who go deep into the woods? Any brand backpacks preferred? Any have better padding than others? I will be using My Tesoro uMax model with a small 5.75" coil to make it more compact. Just looking for some ideas. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 03:49PM by Harold,ILL..
Re: Backpacking Metal Detectors
April 20, 2019 04:21PM

(not my image) But shows what I use - a long version of the ons shown - has several zipped areas where things can get stored.
Have often carried 2 + machines and all that goes with them, spade, probes, gloves, batteries, camcorder, camera, water, thermos etc etc.
BUT...it can get really HEAVY fast!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2019 04:24PM by Des D.
April 20, 2019 06:12PM
I used to backpack my detectors all the time and mountain bike deep into the woods to access old cellar holes. I'm lucky to have a well stocked sporting goods store nearby that had tons to choose from.

There are lots of good brands. Get something rugged and big enough, with padding against your back and on the straps. I went with a Dakine and it has lasted over ten years now.
April 21, 2019 01:08AM
Osprey. Tesoro like warranty. Super strong. Good Value.

Edit: I own a Osprey Exos 58. Very comfortable and made for long hauls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2019 01:19AM by Mike C.
April 21, 2019 02:56PM
I use a milsurp medium pack for longer trips. For shorter ones, I use a Camelbak daypack. Most of my gear is on my belt fwiw.
April 21, 2019 03:09PM
You shouldn't have to be stuck using a small coil if you get a pack that's big enough. The coil folds flat and doesn't take up much space. The lower rod might stick out through the top of the pack a bit. My Dakine carries my detector, headphones, hand digger, extra clothes, food, water and still doesn't weigh much when full.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2019 03:13PM by Badger in NH.
April 22, 2019 10:00AM
Just googled "Dakine" - nice. Looks well thought out and sturdy. Landed to me around  €123.00 Plus Customs & Duties = ?
They do appear 'short' though? 53cms...is there a longer version?
April 22, 2019 10:14AM
For those of you wanting to really make the Nox compact for those back packs....... i saw this on Steve site. Ad this and one of the new design telescopic shaft Tony Hunt is working on and you are really compact.

[www.shop-lefouilleur.com]
April 22, 2019 11:14AM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just googled "Dakine" - nice. Looks well thought o
> ut and sturdy. Landed to me around  €123.00 Plus C
> ustoms & Duties = ?
> They do appear 'short' though? 53cms...is there a
> longer version?

53cms should be tall enough. Mine is 51 cms.

Check the website and see what they have. Find one you like and shop around.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2019 11:21AM by Badger in NH.