Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best detector for 8 year old

Posted by newguy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Best detector for 8 year old
April 21, 2019 02:53PM
What detector would you recommend for my 8 year old grand daughter?
Re: Best detector for 8 year old
April 21, 2019 03:15PM
What's your price range, ng?
April 21, 2019 04:04PM
Compadre,hands down...for many many many reasons.
April 21, 2019 04:09PM
Ace 400 gets my vote
With 5x8 coil

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2019 04:12PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 21, 2019 05:23PM
I’m in the same boat for my 8 year old son. I’m waiting for the release of the simplex as it might be the greater bang for the buck.
April 21, 2019 05:50PM
Bounty Hunter BHJS Junior Metal Detector - $40 on amazon and made for kids. If she gets serious then consider a serious detector.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
April 21, 2019 06:01PM
I like the idea of a Compadre or similar beep and dig detector. Would teach a kid the importance of tones. Great idea in my opinion.
April 21, 2019 06:46PM
Xp ORX. Super lightweight and then at least you will have a great machine when they dont want to detect anymore.
April 21, 2019 07:29PM
Yeah AdamBomb has it right, the BH Junior is the way to go. Everyone of those machines mentioned is waaay too heavy for a 8year old to handle.

I know cause that’s the machine ( BH Jr.) I started my daughters on. A child does not have the shoulder and arm strength to hold a detector out in front of them let alone swing it.

The beauty of the BH Jr. is it has that hook like handle and they can hold it swing like a pendulum and still be able to learn how to detect.

If they don’t like detecting your only out $40

My 12 only last year started using a Compadre.

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
April 21, 2019 07:31PM
Compadre-----and teach her (or any new person) proper target recovery first off.
April 21, 2019 10:16PM
I agree. Find a Tesoro. Unfortunate that they are gone.
April 21, 2019 11:43PM
Can a young inexperienced ear tell the difference between a crown cap, chunk of can slaw, pull tab and a quarter right off? Probably not! At least some sort of screen with numbers will give them a fighting chance to find something other then trash. If the vast majority of targets dug are trash right off, wonder how long a young ones interest in the hobby will last? HH jim tn
April 22, 2019 12:11AM
I bought my 8 yr old grandson a Teknetics Minuteman for $149 on TekneticsDirect.com

Great detector with VID etc.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2019 08:03PM by jak135.
Re: Best detector for 8 year old Tesoro Mojave
April 22, 2019 05:38PM
Mojave has good performance and switchable ground balance, (high or low mineral ground), Nice and light but may have to shorten lower stem depending on your daughter's height, that was what I did for my daughter at that age with a Tesoro Eldorado.
I feel it is best to learn to dig by ear first, stress proper recovery technique, & get her a pin-pointer.
I usually take them, (Kids on their first time out), to tot lots, no chance of harming turf and lots of targets for them to hold their interest, I have found they don't really care what they dig as everything is fun to find at first.
Best of luck with it.
Cheers,
Drew.
April 22, 2019 05:47PM
Whites Xventure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2019 05:56PM by pinpointer999.
April 22, 2019 05:55PM
newguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What detector would you recommend for my 8 year ol
> d grand daughter?

Whites Xventure
[www.youtube.com]