Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

sensitivity how much and why

Posted by subey 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
sensitivity how much and why
December 02, 2021 05:15PM
I hunt older and deeper coins with a ctx in dense thrash with a 6 inch coil 8 inches is max and a couple at 9 inches.
They say running lower sensitivity in thrash is better why if I lower sensitivity I loose these deeper targets .They say that the masking targets that are shallow will drown out the deeper target .
Since the detector is putting out the same power into the ground which is fixed those shallow targets are still going to be greater than the deeper targets return with more or less sensitivity does not matter .

Now remember I am looking for deeper targets I look at it this way I looking for a hole in that blanket of thrash to find that target.

A mask coin is a mask coin low sensitivity or high it is still mask period. There are a lot of masked coins that we can not see and won't find with the detectors we use today .

Now sensitivity is a volume control letting you hear more with higher sensitivity and less with lower.

Gain makes all things louder on the ctx if you run gain at 30 all (TARGETS ARE AT THE SAME VOLUME ) So those Shallow targets well have the same volume as those deeper targets so how can running lower sensitivity help.

Now we have a equal playing field deep is loud shallow is loud I know the shallow target has a bigger return than the deeper target but now i can hear the deeper target .And like I said mask is mask lower or raising sensitivity won't matter.

What do you think . subey
Re: sensitivity how much and why
December 02, 2021 05:26PM
I very rarely lower my sens unless I have to for lousy interference purposes. All out for me and no disc, running disc mode for the different tones, on any machine I use. I want the deep old coinage. . . . if they're shallow, fine, I'll take them too.
December 04, 2021 06:04AM
What happens when you turn your bright lights on when it is snowing?
December 04, 2021 09:42AM
You're talking about comparing human vision with the workings of a metal detector.. . . I don't fall for that comparison or the one about the fog.
I can come up with a comparison that will make running high sens seem like the right way to detect. Or a more is better scenario. I'm sure we can come up with several. We are talking deep coin searching.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2021 09:43AM by ozzie.
December 04, 2021 11:24AM
Your ears will tell you. Set it as high as you can until the point of stability becomes a problem. If you start going mad from the chatter back it down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2021 03:01AM by goodmore.
December 04, 2021 01:35PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your ears will tell you. Set it as high as you can
> until the point of stability becomes a problem. If
> you start going mad from from the chatter back it
> down.

Exactly. Or, if you can stand some interference, fine. It's a custom adjustment as are all.
December 04, 2021 02:15PM
Your transmit signal is fixed your detector is running with it's brights on all the time .
Sensitivity only allows you to adjust for what returns you want to hear .
This is how i take it . subey
December 04, 2021 02:37PM
Another factor to consider is not so much "will you hear the deeper/masked target", but also: "What will it sound like " ? Because if everything begins to sound-the-same, then you've lost your ability to discern desirable vs undesirable .
December 04, 2021 02:54PM
Tom we still have our tones no matter how high we set the sensitivity the ? is well we get the return on the deeper target. subey
December 05, 2021 01:38AM
sensitivity is the last thing I adjust when I starting hunting .. I try and hunt with as high of a sensitivity as I can, as long as the machine runs stable .. emi is usually the first consideration, as it is heard first and I try to eliminate the sounds from emi by running the sense down a bit (if I have to) ... I adjust the sensitivity a lot when hunting in most places
there are also places where a low sensitivity is the only way to hunt, for example along known metal objects .. right under a chain link fence is where I found my first gold ring .. the sense was so low that the fence didn't interfere with the target signal .. if the sense was cranked up, all I would have heard is the fence and I really couldn't have hunted there .. reinforced concrete is another example of a known metal object .. one where the sense needs to be lowered in order to hunt along it..as are aluminum bleachers and there are countless others as well
there is another place I hunt often where the whole town burned many years ago .. in the little place I hunt there the ground is covered with tiny burned pieces of the tin roofs, at about four inches down .. a max/high sensitivity only allows for this tin and things above it to be heard, but once the sensitivity is turned down then you can find the holes between the tin and find good coins, etc.
.. not sure why this works, maybe it magnifies the signals enough to mask other targets that wouldn't be masked with less sensitivity .. the "driving in fog" seems to be the best easily understood reasoning/analogy .. but run your machine along a chain link fence at full sensitivity and you will quickly see where the sensitivity needs to be to be successful there .. and since a chain link fence is an extreme example, I'm guessing it also holds true for less extreme places/circumstances, to a equally lesser degree of sensitivity.