Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Impressed with the Teknetics Minuteman / Eurotek Pro

Posted by marcomo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Impressed with the Teknetics Minuteman / Eurotek Pro
April 23, 2019 05:37AM
I know most on this forum aren't usually talking about or using entry level detectors but I recently bought a Tek Minuteman (a re-branded, lower priced Eurotek Pro) and it's a better than I expected little detector. And a lot of fun to use.

It won't push either of the higher end detectors I'm currently using into the closet. But I bought it for a family/friends/permission grantor loaner and to keep in the vehicle for just in case use and it's just the ticket for that. I can use this detector without feeling like I'm seriously handicapped compared to my other detectors. I can let someone I'm with use this and even a complete newbie should be able to use it effectively.

First of all, it's super fast and pulls the high tones out amongst the ferrous very well, I dug several coins co-located with nails. The round 8" coil it comes with separates targets with the efficiency of a smaller coil.

It's simple to use and intuitive. Sensitivity, Discrimination Level and Volume are the only controls to set from the menu button. But with the volume you can adjust the iron volume separately from the mid range VCO and the high tones. That's a really nice feature. I can hear all the iron the way I prefer but do it at a lower volume to avoid iron fatigue. I believe when the Eurotek Pro came out it was the first detector to have adjustable iron volume. A power button, pinpoint button and and up and down buttons are the only other controls.

The factory default settings can be changed and the changed settings can be set to stay in memory after the detector is turned off which is a plus. I've run it with sensitivity all the way up at 10 for three short after work hunts, about four hours total, and have had no hint of EMI issues.

Since I like to hear at all, I keep the discrimination at 0. But you can change the various tone break points by adjusting the discrimination.

As expected, depth isn't jaw-dropping but certainly decent for entry level. Air testing a Mercury dime with a moderate swing speed it gives a solid high tone at 8", but gets iffy by 8.5", The audio is not modulated so it drops off fast. The signal starts getting clipped about an inch before the depth drops off.

The deepest coin I found in four hours at two mid-1960s yards was a copper memorial right at a measured 6". Found a lot of coins including 4 wheaties and a '47 Rosie.

It's really lightweight, can't weigh much more than 2 lbs, and ergonomically excellent. Not sure how robust the build quality, but it has a 5 year warranty and I'm confident about First Texas being around that long to honor it.

The lower stem is definitely not long enough for a taller person. I'm 5'11'" and I prefer it on the longest hole and need it on at least the second from longest. Apparently you can order an extended pole as an optional accessory.

Needless to say, like any preset ground balance detector, this is not a unit for anybody with bad ground.

Not that it affects performance one whit, but I don't particularly like the cheesy faceplate. It's not that I'm unpatriotic, the artwork is just too busy and not very good. I much prefer the original Eurotek Pro deep red faceplate, but not enough to pay more money for the otherwise exact same detector.

Comparing performance to price, $149 with a 5 year warranty, I think it's a bargain.
Re: Impressed with the Teknetics Minuteman / Eurotek Pro
April 23, 2019 10:02AM
Nice write up Marco_I could not agree more with everything you have said right down to the faceplate_

I have owned a couple of Eurotec Pros & a Minuteman_Great detectors and a lot of fun_

Fantastic loaners / boot fillers / starter-intermediate units

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
April 23, 2019 01:04PM
Thanks, Keith. Glad to hear an experienced user like yourself also sees the value in this little detector.
April 23, 2019 08:39PM
Bought one of these for my wife along with several coils, it's a nice little detector, light as a feather, easy to use, great coil selection and adjustable iron audio.

It's perfect for her to hit tot lots, dry sand and club hunts.
April 24, 2019 01:57AM
If it gets the wife hunting and happy then it's a bargain no matter what the price!smileys with beer
April 24, 2019 04:06AM
marcomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it gets the wife hunting and happy then it's a bargain no matter what the price!smileys with beer

True dat....but I do favor the ETP's...ahem.....thrifty price thumbs down You can pick these up for a song once and a while, and they can use coils from the Goldbug and some of the other Tek machines. With the 11" DD bi-axel coil the ETP can actually get decent dept, a 10" dime wouldn't surprise me in the right dirt, not mine, but in tamer areas sure.
April 24, 2019 12:26PM
The Eurotek is hot with the 11” coil, A dealer told me that Tek has a special on them now - $299 MAP with the 11” coil and cover plus a Tek-Point pinpointer. That’s the MAP, I suspect your friendly dealer could do a good bit better on the price.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
April 24, 2019 05:59PM
Nice write up on it..Yes I liked the Eurotek pro somewhat.Not alot of punch but works the trash well.

I like the F44. not alot of talk about it, but the stock teardrop 11" coil sees coin size items at depth in iron very well.I think maybe there on sale right now too quite cheap.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 24, 2019 06:26PM
3xKeith Southern Wrote:
> Nice write up on it..Yes I liked the Eurotek pro s
> omewhat.Not alot of punch but works the trash well
> .
>
> I like the F44. not alot of talk about it, but the
> stock teardrop 11" coil sees coin size items at de
> pth in iron very well.I think maybe there on sale
> right now too quite cheap.
>
> Keith

Better than the Teknetics G2?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2019 06:34PM by Harold,ILL..
April 25, 2019 01:33AM
Late life cycle pricing has made a number of nice FT detectors more affordable.

And the longer FT warranty is a plus...assuming you like the detector well enough to keep it a while.
April 25, 2019 04:04AM
As in what aspect Harold?

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 25, 2019 12:34PM
Coin hunting as far as depth other than iron? I heard the Teks also had better modulated audio? I always was curious about the G2 as Dave Johnson said it had a similar DNA to the Troy X5.
April 25, 2019 01:09PM
marcomo Wrote:
> Thanks, Keith. Glad to hear an experienced user li
> ke yourself also sees the value in this little det
> ector.

Thank you Marco_Keep us posted on how you get on with it_

You have a knack for reviews mate_enjoyed your write up_ smileys with beer

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
April 25, 2019 01:21PM
Now that I think about it in above post I am mixing up the F44 with the F19 as they say the F19 and G2 shared the same internals?
April 25, 2019 05:31PM
Ahh OK Harold.

Yes F19 and G2+ same machine different rod..FTPs best iron sifter model for now.

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
April 25, 2019 06:45PM
Jorge Saad put a lot of effort into the EuroTeks. I know I worked through 5 different Pro version prototypes prior to the production model. Its nice to see other people like how it came out as its a nice little instrument.

HH
Mike
April 26, 2019 02:43AM
Seems to me you had a wee bit of experience with another Jorge Saad detector, Mike. LOL
April 26, 2019 01:32PM
You have to wonder what Jorge and his colleagues in El Paso are working on right now?

Rick Kempf
April 27, 2019 12:01AM
I never knew before Mike's post that Jorge Saad was the lead designer on the Minuteman/Eurotek Pro, but that explains what happened today'

I got out for about an hour after work today with it and noticed when I set the detector down for a retrieval that I was getting some EMI noise. But swinging the detector over the ground mitigated the EMI.

I've had two other detectors that had this same trait in the past: the F5 and Omega 8000. Both Jorge Saad detectors.
April 27, 2019 10:52PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> You have to wonder what Jorge and his colleagues i
> n El Paso are working on right now?

What have you heard Mr Rick?

A new waterproof T2 with 3D Graphics and attached coffee maker_Happy to test & review _lol

I hope somethings on the go_We need a hit from the home of detecting winking smiley

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
April 28, 2019 12:56AM
Last I heard, the decaf option was causing trouble.

Rick Kempf
April 28, 2019 09:36PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Last I heard, the decaf option was causing trouble
> .

eye popping smiley you mean ....... again? lol

[www.earthscan.co.nz]