Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CLR to clean buttons and other finds?

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CLR to clean buttons and other finds?
April 27, 2019 07:14PM
That's what Kurt's claiming:

[youtu.be]
Re: CLR to clean buttons and other finds?
April 27, 2019 07:56PM
CLR is great and quick for tumbling clad and copper pennies. Wouldn't use it for anything with collectible value, though.
April 27, 2019 11:43PM
But..... id use a backing soda dip to stop the process when done. Mineral oil can help copper as well when done. Copper can look RED or brittle....it helps restore a more natural color.
April 27, 2019 11:53PM
Easy rule....if it has value don't muck with it. Let's face the truth.....most of the things we find might be interesting, but not worth anything. What you leave in that finds drawer will be tossed in the dumpster by your kids.
April 28, 2019 12:51AM
Yeah very true, most of this stuff only has value to us, our kids are going to end up trashing it and pawning off our machines...LOL

Never thought of using CLR in a tumbler, thanks for the tip!

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
April 28, 2019 03:04AM
Aaron, I found out the same way you did...someone on a forum. I was pleasantly surprised how well it works and how fast, hope you will be too!
April 28, 2019 03:55AM
Thanks for the tip. I had to look it up on the internet as I had never heard of it.
April 28, 2019 10:50AM
Household item around here....wifey soaks our shower heads in it....we have well water with a lot of minerals including iron. Never cleaned coins with it.
Goodmore, right to the heart with the truth....that's exactly what will happen, kids don't want to be bothered.....right in the dumpster, ha ha ha ha!
April 28, 2019 02:32PM
The wife will beat the kids to it once I am gone...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
April 29, 2019 12:00PM
I've always used Aluminium Jelly. Still got the same container of it that I bought in early 2000. I never soak a button in it though...just put a dab on a soft worn toothbrush and lightly brush it on. Let it sit about 30 seconds and then rinse with bottled water and a baking soda paste mixture. My rule of thumb is, I only do it to something that I can see gold gilt in under the crusty stuff. If I can't see gilt, then I leave it be.
May 05, 2019 12:46PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always used Aluminium Jelly. Still got the s
> ame container of it that I bought in early 2000.
> I never soak a button in it though...just put a da
> b on a soft worn toothbrush and lightly brush it o
> n. Let it sit about 30 seconds and then rinse with
> bottled water and a baking soda paste mixture. My
> rule of thumb is, I only do it to something that I
> can see gold gilt in under the crusty stuff. If I
> can't see gilt, then I leave it be.

I always used Aluminum Jelly too. It worked great on old nickels. I tried to buy a new bottle a year or so ago, and couldn't find any even on the internet. I switched to a new product, similar formula but liquid instead of jelly.
May 05, 2019 06:32PM
I've tried Aluminum jelly to clean buttons and never had the success others have with it cleaning and bringing back any remains of gilt.

I switched to Naval Jelly and bingo that works wonders! So too does lemon juice for buttons.
May 05, 2019 06:55PM
Naval jelly? Thanks for the tip, Cal...

Steve