Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox and Modulated audio?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox and Modulated audio?
May 03, 2019 06:10PM
So I take it the Equinox does not have modulated audio like the Etrac/Explorer/ CTX? Does it have it just at the edge of depth or none at all? I have heard some say it does and some say it doesn't?
I wonder if this is something Minelab could add with a software update down the road?
Re: Equinox and Modulated audio?
May 03, 2019 06:16PM
Harold,

It DOES have modulation, but it is somewhat "subtle," to my ears, through the "mid depths." A very deep coin is a very noticeably "soft" sound, and shallow ones have a definite short "pop" sound to them -- rapid ramp up to the full tone, and then rapid ramp down. However, mid-depth coins don't seem to be as "modulated" as I'd personally like them to be, as I mentioned in my other post. There's not enough difference between a 4" and a 7" coin, for my liking. But the deep ones (deeper than about 7" or so) DEFINITELY have a soft, modulated audio that is really telling...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2019 09:28PM by steveg.
May 03, 2019 08:33PM
Harrold you know how your CZ has that faint ping on deep silver, it's kind of like that. It actually conveys a ton of audio intel IMO, like any of them you just have to use it to get your muscle memory tuned into it's language.
May 03, 2019 09:27PM
I love dat' ping!
May 03, 2019 09:29PM
Cal -- I do agree with you that the Equinox conveys a ton of audio intel; there's LOTS of "intelligence" in the audio, and I hope my post didn't seem to imply otherwise. While I feel the unit lacks sufficient modulation for my tastes, through the "mid depths," there is otherwise a TON of very "telling" clues in the audio of the Equinox, in my opinion.

Steve
May 03, 2019 09:43PM
Pinpoint offers info too on depth. Adjusting sensitivty setting will give some info related to depth on coin sized objects. Adjusting speed setting will too. The user profile button can be used to quickly shift to other settings. I wish Minelab would have given us option to De- globalize the settings we wanted to do. Like sensitivity. Sure would be a good OPTIONAL update to put together and offer folks. For EQx 800 model only suggested.
Lots of little tricks one can do to judge depth.
Go ahead Harold, you know you want one.

The real shallow stuff will cause 2 beeps lots of times. On edge coins, etc can too though.

In your soil Harold, get those DEEP nickels with it.

Edited 20 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2019 10:53PM by tnsharpshooter.
May 03, 2019 09:55PM
tn -- you are absolutely right. Pinpoint offers better "depth" clues, for sure, and YES -- sensitivity allows better modulation of the audio to occur. No doubt. I just wish you didn't have to lower sensitivity, as a "proxy" for adjusting volume gain. It sure would be nice to be able to run high sensitivity, and have a SEPARATE adjustment for volume gain, like you could on the Explorers...

Steve
May 04, 2019 01:33AM
When you get a target just switch over to gold 1. You get very good modulation. At least works for me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2019 01:36AM by PhDtector.
May 04, 2019 02:21AM
PhDtector Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you get a target just switch over to gold 1.
> You get very good modulation. At least works for m
> e.

Well I'm supposed to switch to single frequency to see if the target numbers go up to see if it is a bottle cap. Then I can switch to gold mode to check for depth modulation. For being labeled the obsolete maker a user sure has to push quite a few buttons and circle targets.

If I want to push buttons all day I can get the Whites top unit.

Simplicity is the key to a great detector.

Me....If it sounds good I dig it.
May 04, 2019 02:59AM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PhDtector Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > When you get a target just switch over to gold 1
> .
> > You get very good modulation. At least works for
> m
> > e.
>
>
> Well I'm supposed to switch to single frequency to
> see if the target numbers go up to see if it is a
> bottle cap. Then I can switch to gold mode to chec
> k for depth modulation. For being labeled the obso
> lete maker a user sure has to push quite a few but
> tons and circle targets.
>
> If I want to push buttons all day I can get the Wh
> ites top unit.
>
> Simplicity is the key to a great detector.
>
> Me....If it sounds good I dig it.

There yah go!
May 04, 2019 02:36PM
And don't forget......you still have to turn it on !!!