Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Recently picked up a Troy Shadow X2

Posted by coinspader 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Recently picked up a Troy Shadow X2
May 08, 2019 01:25AM
I have been reading a lot about these detectors and one just popped up for sale so I got it. There are a lot of lofty claims about it and I wanted to see for myself. I'm sure a few of you guys have used them and may have some input on how well they perform. It has the 7 inch coil on it. I plan on doing a couple videos on it when I get it. I read Tesoro built the X2 and Fisher built the rest of the later models.
Re: Recently picked up a Troy Shadow X2
May 08, 2019 01:54AM
Its a silver Sabre Umax with coin check button.But you loose the threshold for super tuning as its moved inside the case.

I think most people liked them because Troy made sure they were up to snuff in the hot and cold days of Tesoro So basically you get a PROPER Silver Sabre.

I read once years ago and may not be true The 7 inch winding's are reversed transmit and receive from a Tesoro coil If I remember correctly.??but you could still use Tesoro coils on it and Troy coil on Tesoro.But that was 20 years ago or so and may be wrong or I read wrong info then??????

They looked sleek but if you have a good Silver Sabre Umax it boils down to splitting hairs.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 08, 2019 02:05AM
Being mostly a park hunter I like the idea of a coin check button, kind of like dual discrimination, I also like the low profile of the 7 inch coil as well.
May 08, 2019 02:45AM
Like Keith said: The Shadow x2 was just another in a long series of variations of the samo-samo 2-filter Tesoros. Mimicked many of the Tesoros in ability and purpose. Not necessarily keen for depth or TID, but more-for ghost-townsy purposes. They were good as seeing through and around nails. Versus some power house coin hunters which are more prone to masking. It got a lot of hype when it was introduced. But in retrospect, was just a step sideways from a bunch of Tesoros then-&-now.
May 08, 2019 04:06AM
Wonder how many gold rings were left in the ground because of the coin check button?
I still have a 7 and 9 inch Troy Shadow X2 coils that I use on a Cutlass II uMax on occasion.
Still loves coins smiling bouncing smiley

g
May 08, 2019 05:47AM
GeoW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder how many gold rings were left in the ground because of the coin check button? I still have a 7 and 9 inch Troy Shadow X2 coils that I use on a Cutlass II uMax on occasion. Still loves coins smiling bouncing smiley
> g

GeoW,

I don't think the coin check button could tell you that. I guess you woulda had to use the Ring Check Button for that. grinning smiley

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
May 08, 2019 08:25AM
I never had an x2. I had an x3 and an x5 that I thought of very highly. I still have the manual for the x5 if any one is interested.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
May 08, 2019 01:49PM
That little super 7 coil is a good one.
The new precision 7 was suppose to be the same design but not quite as good IMO. Something is different about them like Keith said. A lot of Tesoro guys will buy the X2 just to get that coil as they are still in demand.
May 08, 2019 06:01PM
GeoW Wrote:
> Wonder how many gold rings were left in the ground
> because of the coin check button?
>

Or put another way: "I wonder how many pulltabs and foil globs were left in the ground because of the coin-check button?"

For people working junky parks, angling for old coins (silver, etc...), perhaps they just don't care to "be a hero" and strip mine junky parks "lest they miss a gold ring". I hunt old parks all the time, specifically for silver. And , yes, will miss small to mid-size gold rings. That's a given. If I'm at a ghost-townsy relic site, or the beach, then sure: It's "dig all except iron". If gold rings are someone's agenda, they are better off simply going to swimming beaches, than to be strip-mining junky parks, IMHO.
May 08, 2019 06:19PM
Well said Tom, I here that all the time as how some dig it all as not to miss gold. If You did that in a trashy Chicago park You would be on your knees more then a 10 dollar hooker on a Saturday night. If I want to try My hand at gold I will hit the notch switch to wide on the Golden uMax if I get one of the two middle tones. I will check it in wide notch as this will cut out most tabs but still hit some gold and small foil. But even some parks are too trashy to even do that.
May 08, 2019 08:57PM
I had an X2 for a few years and liked it for its lightness. I even bought the bigger coil for it which I liked better than the 7 inch. I think that one was a 9 inch.
May 08, 2019 09:49PM
That's what I'm after, SILVER! smiling bouncing smiley
May 09, 2019 09:13AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I here that all the time as how som
> e dig it all as not to miss gold. If You did that
> in a trashy Chicago park You would be on your knee
> s more then a 10 dollar hooker on a Saturday night
>

Ok, how soon before the mod's come & delete this ? haha

There are certain types of locations (namely swim beaches), that have better odds at gold jewelry. Simply d/t the demographics of usage/purpose. And even some types of turf are an improvement (turf that is *specifically/only* used for athletics, with zero picnicking/eating going on) . If someone's objective is gold rings, then THOSE are the places they should be hunting. Then .... sure .... lower the disc. and strip-mine.

But for junky urban parks, near where eating (read "foil"), drinking (read "tabs"), BBQ'ing (read "molten aluminum globs" ) is going on, is a recipe for insanity . Yet there might be old silver hiding there.

Nonetheless, I read of the "dig all lest you miss a gold ring" mantra. And I have to chuckle, thinking : I would love nothing more than to invite this person to a few blighted parks I'm thinking of. And turn them loose and see how long they last. Sure, they'll "never lack for " low conductors to choose from. Have a ball smiling smiley
May 09, 2019 02:51PM
Case in point, There is a local park I spend a lot of time in looking for old coins, especially silver coins. The park is well over 100 years old so you have at least a 70 year time period with the possibility of older desirable coins being dropped on the ground, unfortunately there is a later period of at least 70 years of aluminum trash dropped on top of the old desirable coins sad smiley , add to that a massive amount of bent nails and it is pretty challenging to find good targets especially when you add in the fact that the park has been hunted for years as well. Anyway digging everything non ferrous is just not plausible because the park is saturated with trash. I usually try picking the targets that have the best odds of being gold and I know I probably have missed some, but my primary goal is to find the silver under the modern trash. Hunting this way has netted me 8 gold rings out of this park over the years and hundreds of old coins. I think the way you hunt a park depends greatly on what you want to find primarily. There is no wrong way as long as you are having fun and you don't destroy the park while doing it. cool smiley IMHO Hopefully the Shadow X2 well help me in my quest for the silver I desire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2019 02:57PM by coinspader.
May 09, 2019 03:38PM
I understand your point. My point was that with a discriminate knob, there’s no need for a coin check button.
The gold I spoke of earlier was probably, for the most part, dug 50 years ago.
For those of you not willing to dig it’s probably a good thing.
I’m glad to have detected there before the penny hunters arrived...with an all-metal machine.
You will never miss digging the good stuff you choose to discriminate.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
g
May 10, 2019 06:18AM
Dang, and I was led to believe that silver coins could only be found with proper 12+" Fisher CZs and FBS machines. Nothing else is supposed to be able to do that, and if the places you are hunting have already been hit by one or both, there can't possibly be any silver left to find. smiling smiley
May 10, 2019 06:49AM
Daniel this park has been hit by them all, every FBS version made, most of the Turkish detectors, I personally have used the Deus here extensively and the the Equinox, the guy I hunt with has been hitting this park with a CTX 30 30 for years, all of the Tesoro's, Whites, First Texas, just about every high end machine made. So I can't wait to get out with this little bugger and see what has been missed lol. If I find any old coins I will be pleasantly surprised. Oh I forgot, multiple Fishers have been here toosmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2019 06:51AM by coinspader.
May 10, 2019 02:08PM
Those 2 filter Tesoro type detectors will surprise you on big silver especially.
I had a small park by mean that everybody and their Brother including myself hit with CZs,Etracs, Explorers, Mighty Nox, Deus, etc. And first 3 strips with My little Golden uMax found Two silver halfs and a Barber Quarter. No nails in the hole that I could see? Don't know what it is they just seem to find stuff missed by others.