Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Carry along Detector?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Carry along Detector?
May 13, 2019 02:07PM
How many of you keep a Detector in the trunk at all times during detector season?
Not during extreme weather of course and what Detector is it? I been keeping the Golden uMax in the trunk as breaks down small in case I see a possible site and have time to check it out. If I find some older coins will come back with My 'proper'
CZ-3D. Ha!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 02:08PM by Harold,ILL..
Re: Carry along Detector?
May 13, 2019 02:24PM
Depends on what detector season you are talking about. Summer is actually the one season when I didn't dirt hunt. The plugs look like crap in lawns. The woods are full of poison and tics, and the fields are growing crops. I have to make plans to beach hunt so I know when a detector is needed. Nope...my detectors stay in the house. Actually in an SUV there is no trunk. So having a detector sliding around in the back and just be in the way for hauling other cargo and would work on my nerves. Between SUV's and pickups the question is how many out there still have trunks?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 02:27PM by goodmore.
May 13, 2019 02:37PM
I have a 2012 Impala with a huge trunk so not a issue. Its nice to have even in summer as might see a sidewalk tearout which is a short window to hunt. I have seen one start in a old neighborhood went back next day and new sidewalk is poured already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 02:38PM by Harold,ILL..
May 13, 2019 02:58PM
I got a TC 1023 in my trunk as long as it's not too hot or not too cold. Only paid 60 bucks for it but it works really well and if it gets damaged it's not a big loss.
May 13, 2019 06:05PM
I have 5 in the pickup bed, with locking cover, at all times. The bed is carpeted.
May 13, 2019 06:15PM
I keep my f-75 in the crew cab of my pick up along with my pouch, pin-pointer and digging tools.
You never know.
Once as I was driving on a country road to a destination, I stopped at an old 1800's home for permission and the owner said " do you have your equipment with you?" I said "yes sir". He said "have at it".
After chatting with him and hitting it off with he and his missis, he said to come back any time.
Next time back, we chatted for a good hour....good friendly older couple...we were swapping stories left and right. I have to get back there one of these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2019 06:17PM by ozzie.
May 13, 2019 06:15PM
Carry a tesoro mojave with me
May 13, 2019 07:03PM
Quest 20 detector or Tesoro silver is always in the trunk.
May 13, 2019 09:42PM
I hunt every forenoon almost daily so I don't carry one locally. One is with me, however, on any out of town travels and its usually my F 75. HH jim tn
May 14, 2019 02:54AM
Can't carry anything of value in your vehicle around here. Too many pill heads and dope addicts that will take it off your hands. It has gotten so bad that most of us leave our doors unlocked now to keep them from busting the window to get inside. Would rather them just open the door to see there's nothing of value rather than bust a window. Lol
May 14, 2019 03:02AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can't carry anything of value in your vehicle arou
> nd here. Too many pill heads and dope addicts that
> will take it off your hands. It has gotten so bad
> that most of us leave our doors unlocked now to ke
> ep them from busting the window to get inside. Wou
> ld rather them just open the door to see there's n
> othing of value rather than bust a window. Lol

Boy that’s just a sad state of affairs there. Where exactly do you live? Curious just in case I’m passing through!
May 14, 2019 10:13AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:

That's sad Daniel, I have never been to Tennessee but have always figured that it was a beautiful safe state. Same has happened up here, so many on meth,etc. that it is not as safe as it used to be. To bad that these people don't grab a detector instead of a pipe or syringe.
May 14, 2019 10:22PM
Dang Daniel! I guess a car trunk would be no good either as once inside they could open the trunk. Oh' well
May 15, 2019 02:51AM
That's a drag to hear about Tennessee. It's actually one place I've considered retiring to. I live in an area where you don't ever have to lose your car keys because they can remain in the ignition. But then there are no traffic lights in my county either. I usually carry a B2 microMax, Treasure Baron, or MMK in my vehicle at all times .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2019 03:35AM by dgerst.
May 15, 2019 03:13AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:

Yeah that’s basically why I don’t carry one either, I live right next to Detroit, needless to say it’s bad here too. Car insurance is a joke, so stinking expensive when you live near D-Town.

I’ve got relatives that live down in Whitehouse and Hendersonville, haven’t been there in around 15yrs, people there were really nice.
May 15, 2019 07:55PM
I'm right along the Interstate 75, aka the drug running interstate. It has gotten really bad over the last 20 years or so...I think they describe it as an epidemic. My home county (McMinn) was listed as the top meth county in the state a few years back. Not much has changed.

This story just happened here this past weekend: [www.timesfreepress.com]

I'll give you the cliff notes version of that if you don't want to go to the article in the link. A guy stole 4 vehicles Saturday, and attempted to steal at least 2 more...led officers on a chase that encompassed 3 counties. It ended with him running one vehicle off into the TN river and then swimming the entire width of the TN river to the other side, where he was arrested. What I find amazing is, that he would crash the vehicles and then flee on foot, evading arrest the whole time...til he could steal another one. He did all this running on foot, was able to steal those vehicles...then swim over 300 yards across the river after doing all that. Give that man a triathelon medal haha
May 15, 2019 10:29PM
The mighty Muddy over on this side of the state would have got him, Daniel. We've got the east, west drug corridor, I 40, running through here. Still a pretty good state, though. HH jim tn
May 15, 2019 10:56PM
He needs to be in the Iron man going on in Chattanooga this weekend Daniel. LOL
May 16, 2019 12:36PM
Yeah that’s crazy, I lost count how many vehicles that guy stole! What’s the deal down there, do people leave their keys in their cars?
May 16, 2019 01:00PM
Back in 2008-12, I owned a Small Suzuki 4X4 that had to be repaired 8 times under Warranty. (shocks & oil leaks)

Each time it had to go into the shop it was emptied completely: once back in my possession everything would be put back in but, I mislaid ' a few pieces' from time to time!
So I park up at a site and begin to don all the gear, the socks, the boots, the waterproofs, the gloves, the diggers, the probes, the detectors, the batteries, the cameras, the tripods...but...where were they! Aaaaghhhhh...never put back in!!!

So, I have to be extra careful about ensuring ALL the gear I might need to draw on on any given day is there and accounted for!

As for the other cars I've owned since that lemon, there have been a couple that had to have Warranty jobs...Yes, you guessed it...'where's 'my effin probe?'

However, I nearly always have 2 detectors in the trunk and whether or not the bits & pieces to go with them are there and accounted for is a chess game!!!