Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wishing I had tried "all metal" on deep coins

Posted by Bayard 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wishing I had tried "all metal" on deep coins
May 19, 2019 01:02PM
I have a site that was, or is, loaded with deep wheat cents. I have extensively hunted this site over the last year and a half, removing about 20 silver coins and well over 100 wheat cents.

I dug eight wheat cents there yesterday using an Etrac with an oversize coil. The remaining deep coins do not give the type of signal that you would normally notice or bother to dig. These signals are not much more than barely audible squeaks and once isolated, must be swung on very fast in order to get the signal to repeat.

I figured these coins were at the limit of my detector's capability; however, when I put the Etrac into pinpoint mode it gives a screaming signal on these coins. I'm wishing now that I had put the Etrac into "all metal" to see if these deep wheat cents are easy to detect, but, are just identifying as iron and are predominantly discriminated out by my settings. I run a fairly open screen, blocking everything below the 24 line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2019 01:26PM by Bayard.
Re: Wishing I had tried "all metal" on deep coins
May 19, 2019 01:55PM
Deep coin hunting is a art of its own. One must hunt slow with narrow swings, have a high sense of curiosity of what that barely audible faint tic or squeak might be, hit deep coin area's from a multitude of directions and I personally hunt with no disc. A 9" deep dime is a small target and if on edge or partially, even smaller. It sure is fun, though. HH jim tn
May 19, 2019 11:21PM
So now you have a plan. Go dig some coins.
May 20, 2019 02:23AM
For checking those deeper signals, I like to use two or four tone ferrous with an open screen. The less filtering the better. If possible, set your sensitivity manually. Good luck!

Dean
May 20, 2019 04:55PM
You would have loved detecting pre-discriminator.. I still enjoy using an older discriminator with threshold listening for the very faint, tiny, signals or
just tiny, repeatable, movements of the analog meter..at times not strong enough to be audible.
Good ole days to me!

g
May 20, 2019 06:50PM
Video will be posted in a while comparing 2 tone ferrous, 4 tone ferrous and conductive multi modes.

Will be posted in its own thread.

Cheers.
May 20, 2019 11:31PM
GeoW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You would have loved detecting pre-discriminator..
> I still enjoy using an older discriminator with th
> reshold listening for the very faint, tiny, signal
> s or
> just tiny, repeatable, movements of the analog me
> ter..at times not strong enough to be audible.
> Good ole days to me!
>
> g

Ah yes, the old days where adjusting "gain" and threshold were key. When we used to put those "depth master" units on our detector to boost signals even more. Only thing I miss about those old detectors was that silver had a true unique sound if you trained yourself to hear it.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================
May 21, 2019 11:52PM
Some of my best finds were deeeep in our coastal Georgia sand.. I’ve dug down through over a foot of organic
top soil to find targets beneath it in the sand. Loved those deep whisper signals!

gw
May 23, 2019 03:31PM
jim tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Deep coin hunting is a art of its own. One must hu
> nt slow with narrow swings, have a high sense of c
> uriosity of what that barely audible faint tic or
> squeak might be, hit deep coin area's from a multi
> tude of directions and I personally hunt with no d
> isc. A 9" deep dime is a small target and if on ed
> ge or partially, even smaller. It sure is fun, tho
> ugh. HH jim tn

Couldn’t have said it better! The “9 inch” dime is a HELL of a hard target.