Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What Detector found your first silver coin and what was it?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What Detector found your first silver coin and what was it?
May 31, 2019 05:49PM
I will start it off. Whites XLT and the coin was a Mercury dime 1918s. Man was I excited as had the detector a month and was starting to wonder if they really worked? Ha!
Re: What Detector found your first silver coin and what was it?
May 31, 2019 06:18PM
IDXPro 1964 Rosie. I had always heard that silver shines right out of the ground. They weren’t kidding.
May 31, 2019 06:25PM
Compass 77b Professional. Was at a state park on the beach in a playground at the swing set. All sandy and got 2 mercs there.
May 31, 2019 06:52PM
Minelab Explorer SE Pro; Walking Liberty half. Funny story, is a short while later, same hunt, I also found a Franklin half! Those first two spoiled me! LOL!

Steve
May 31, 2019 06:52PM
Merc dime about six inches deep with a home built detector loosely based on the Tesoro Golden Sabre circuit.
May 31, 2019 06:57PM
"C Scope IB 100" - c.1977 - a UK silver 3 pence coin c.1918"
May 31, 2019 07:11PM
Garrett A.D.S. Deepseeker or a Compass X-80. I honestly can't remember which one.
May 31, 2019 07:33PM
Not my first, but my oldest - 2nd century AD Roman silver coin struck in Mesopotamia - like a really thick Indian head in dimensions - found with a Fisher 1235 at Al Hair outside Riyadh. Saudi Arabia - on the surface at a previously unrecorded village ruin (adjacent to the local vehicle scrapyard) with pottery from the Bronze Age through Islamic times. Handed in the coordinates and the pottery fragments to the Museum in Riyadh - kept the coin - not worth much, except to me.

Handing in the lat and long was a bit of a risk - possession of a GPS was illegal there in those days (1990 or so) - mine was smuggled in by a Saudi pal. It turned out not to be an issue, no embarrassing questions were asked, like how did you get the coordinates - what were you doing there - what were you looking for? More innocent times - probably not like that now.

The director of the department of Archaeology was a “bit of a lad” - he thanked me and said that his students would be surveying in that area in the coming winter season and that he wouldn’t tell them about it - and if they didn’t find it he would have their ......

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2019 07:39PM by lytle78.
May 31, 2019 09:22PM
My first silver COIN was a Mercury dime, dug from the edge of the curb at my local high school with a Garrett Master Hunter 7.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================
May 31, 2019 09:29PM
the detector was a home-built with a second revision to the coil.
I think the coin was a '62 or '63 Rosie.
My way-back files ain't what they used to be.
Jeff
May 31, 2019 09:41PM
My first silver, an 1875 Seated Dime with the Shadow X5 at an empty field in an old mission town.

El
May 31, 2019 10:36PM
A silver roosevelt, with a Whites 66TR. In about 1975-ish when I was 14 or so yrs. old.
May 31, 2019 10:45PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A silver roosevelt, with a Whites 66TR. In abou
> t 1975-ish when I was 14 or so yrs. old.

But you should see what he has found since.
May 31, 2019 11:04PM
My first silver was a small coin spill...a silver washington quarter and two silver dimes...one of the dimes a rosie, the other a merc.
Found the first time out with a new AH Pro in 1974, under an old park bench in Rogers Park, along the lake in Chicago.
(couldn't have been more than 2 inches down)

Was hunting at night, as I had picked up the detector on the way home from late college class, and couldn't wait to use it. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2019 11:07PM by Mike in CO.
May 31, 2019 11:23PM
1876 seated dime at an old once popular picnic site that no longer is used with a Fisher F2., Been hooked ever since. The seated dime is pictured on the home page of my youtube channel.
May 31, 2019 11:25PM
My first was a '57 Rosie way less than an inch deep on a path 50 or so kids walked over it every day it was there. I believe that was the sweet F75 SE I bought from NASA Tom. My second was about a hundred yards away on the same property with a CZ. I was super excited 'cuz I KNEW it was silver. A couple eager shovels and it just disappeared! I checked the hole, the sides and the pile- nothing. As I kicked the dirt in and picked up my shovel to go back to the car, I glanced down and there was a rosie smirking at me stuck to the face of the shovel!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
June 01, 2019 03:08AM
41 Walking Liberty half Fisher 1266xb with 8" coil at about 9" deep in a hammered park.
June 01, 2019 06:23AM
First detector was a Fisher Coin$trike, and the first silver coin I dug with it was a merc.
June 01, 2019 08:45AM
Metrotech 220A found a Merc. at Blair Park Silver Spring Md. 1969
June 01, 2019 12:25PM
6 months and still searching, lol
June 01, 2019 04:21PM
In 1977 I took a Master Hunter VLF/TR in a 1 mile sq. park called Ojibway Island and found 2 standing lib quarters, and 3 mercs in about 3 hrs. At one time it was a mustering camp during the Civil War. I also found my 1st ever eagle coat button there several yrs later with a Whites XLT
June 01, 2019 06:02PM
First detector was a Whites Coinmaster IV. On the very first time out, I turned it on, started to make adjustments and as I sit the coil on the ground I got a signal. I dug and out popped a 1898 Barber Quarter. I was 22 and my grandfather was with me on that hunt. Neither of us did any good after that find but it is a trip I will never forget.
June 01, 2019 06:46PM
Green box Compass.. about 1976...Merk Dime..they where all over to place
June 01, 2019 07:22PM
Nautilus LF ...1853 3 cent piece

XP DEUS* NAUTILUS 2B WITH WHITES ROD CONVERSION* LESCHE PIRANAH* LESCHE DIGGER* THE BOMB SHEATH* GARRETT ZLYNK PP W/ WIRELESS HEADPHONES* OLDEST COIN 1776 2 REALE*
June 01, 2019 07:37PM
1265-X. Merc dime about 4 inches deep.
June 01, 2019 11:10PM
Tesoro silver saber. One of the best machines I ever owned.
1841 seated liberty dime. It was so shiny I thought it was planted .. just couldent figure how they got it under all that sod.
June 02, 2019 02:18PM
Compass Relic Magnum 7A (which I still have). The coin was a Roosevelt dime, found on the grounds of Arrowhead Elementary School in Virginia Beach. Coincidentally I found an arrowhead in the same hole as the dime. I still have it, too.
June 02, 2019 03:25PM
Could it be that any detector at any cost could find a silver coin assuming it is not too deep? Same for gold coins. And copper. Less about the detector itself than the fortune of putting the coil over the target.
June 03, 2019 09:21AM
Fisher 441, was a Barber quarter in 1979.
June 03, 2019 02:39PM
DTex DeLuxe-1966-mercury dime in my back yard-frustrating machine