Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The best thing about our hobby

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The best thing about our hobby
June 02, 2019 02:44AM
THERAPY! smileys with beer
Re: The best thing about our hobby
June 02, 2019 03:18AM
Bill long Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> THERAPY! smileys with beer

Exercise young man---exercise!!grinning smiley------Where yah been Bill--miss your posts.
June 02, 2019 03:22AM
AGREED!!

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 03:30AM by Aaron.
June 02, 2019 04:23AM
I could use some of that therapy soon spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 02, 2019 11:15AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> I could use some of that therapy soon spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

UUhhhh, why ? eye rolling smileydrinking smiley
June 02, 2019 04:14PM
Yes, Greatest therapy on the planet.

Another joy for me at least, use a drone for research. Currently, that’s all I’m doing at the moment on my free time.

Another joy will be clubbing my good friends fingers when I see him, lately my old friend Tom in California keyboard fingers want to give the last word.

You’re right, metal detecting is therapy.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2019 04:20PM by Apolonio (CA).
June 02, 2019 10:50PM
The mind gets so occupied with trying to determine what's under the coil that all other thoughts, worries, etc. disappear. Kind of like billiards. I hunt a lot in the Red Hills of southern Kansas and the scenery doesn't hurt either. Life's good when it's a postcard everywhere you look.
June 02, 2019 11:06PM
Apolonio (CA) Wrote:
>
> Another joy will be clubbing my good friends finge
> rs when I see him, lately my old friend Tom in Ca
> lifornia keyboard fingers want to give the last wo
> rd.

Huh ? confused smiley
June 02, 2019 11:43PM
Apolonio (CA) Wrote:

> Another joy will be clubbing my good friends fingers when I see him, lately my old friend Tom in California keyboard fingers want to give the last word.
>

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that thumbs down
June 03, 2019 12:12AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Apolonio (CA) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> ....
> >
> > Another joy will be clubbing my good friends fin
> ge
> > rs when I see him, lately my old friend Tom in
> Ca
> > lifornia keyboard fingers want to give the last
> wo
> > rd.
> ...
>
>
> Huh ? confused smiley

Look out Tom---Somebody's gunnin for yah!
June 03, 2019 01:58AM
The best thing about our hobby for me is 'The Thrill of the Hunt' and the Worst thing about our hobby is the cost trying too achieve it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 03, 2019 06:17AM
I can agree with therapy but not exercise. Walking at a snails pace, even if it is for several miles, doesn't really do much in the way of exercise. I bought one of those Fitbit watches and was stunned at how many miles I walk in an average night at work. It's usually 8 to 11 miles. Now, put that same distance on an elliptical machine at a pace of about a mile in or around 10 mins, and watch the heart rate sky rocket and sweat start to pour. THAT is exercise. The irony in this is, people will argue that metal detecting IS exercise but on nearly every one of them's wish list for a detector, will be that it is light weight. Their biggest complaint about most machines out on the market are.....too heavy or unbalanced. Add in to the fact that 98% of detectorists I see...in person and on YouTube, in pics, etc...are over weight. Including myself. So you'll not get me on board the exercise wagon. I'm reminded of that guy from the Whites commercial patting his belly. Haha. I can hunt all day, swinging a 7+ lb detector, dig hundreds of holes, and not feel it the next day. Last week I played football with the youth at church....try keeping up with kids 19 and younger in a football game for about an hour. They wanted to transition right into volley ball and the cornhole game...I was the old one that had to take a sit down and water break. I hurt for days afterwards lol

Speaking of drone flying. I bought my first one last week. I wanted a cheaper one in case I wrecked it. Got a DJI Mavic Air with the fly more package (basically, it was just extra batteries). My first day with it, I had charged all the batteries while I was at work. It used 1 whole battery and half of another just updating its firmware, doing calibrations, etc. I would have been ticked off had I not had 3 batteries...but hey. The first day I got to fly it about 20 mins before exhausting the one full battery I had left. Had better results the next day when I had all 3 charged again. It's real neat seeing all the sights from above. I flew it all over my farm and then stepped it out to about a mile from me at about 300 feet high to avoid trees and such. It can supposedly go out over 2 miles from the remote but I'm afraid of somebody round here shooting it down, or a hawk dive bombing it. I'm sure I will eventually incorporate a way into using it for metal detecting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2019 11:12AM by Daniel Tn.
June 03, 2019 06:50AM
Bill long Wrote:
> THERAPY! smileys with beer

My hunting buddy and I call it, "Dirt Therapy"...

In fact, I feel the need for a session real soon. smiling smiley
June 03, 2019 09:09AM
As far as exercise......swinging the detector thousands of times switching arms, digging holes and performing how many squats? Walking to the area then walking while detecting. Yes it is exercise.....I'm tired when I'm done. I'm not saying that is the best thing about our hobby, just saying it IS exercise, no doubt.

I'd have to say there's not just one thing that is the best.....I like the whole process of the hobby which also includes coming to this site. What does stand out a tad more than others are seeing an old coin staring up at you, seeing the light of day for the first time in 150-200 years.....especially when it shines in the sunlight. If I was a relic hunter, it would be uncovering a Civil War piece that was in action back then. These pieces also have a faint misery attached to them, you can feel it and are glad it's over for the person long gone. Hard to describe it.
June 03, 2019 09:42AM
The peace and isolation from the madness of life. Beach hunting is exercise. It will wear you out and make you sore enough to search out the Advil. Maybe not a cardio workout, but it sure is a strengthening workout. The scenery of beach hunting is about as good as it gets in life. There is more to the hobby than digging targets.
June 03, 2019 10:03AM
Another cool thing is that every target has a story. Even if we dig something as simple as a penny, it got there somehow.
June 03, 2019 10:13PM
Grew up on a farm...... and retired military...... i just like being outside.....thats where life really happens Detecting...... again i think its the kid in me...... im just curious about finding treasure or WHATS-ITS. I used to get a lot of those when detecting old homes long gone that are now corn fields.
June 04, 2019 02:00AM
Not really a hobby for me.just a way of life. Something I have to do or I feel incomplete,Like a runner who doesn't get to run for a few days.You crave that high when not doing it!

I hunt alot and I mean alot in a weeks time .probably more than I should.I crave the hunt..OH I like a good find that's icing on the cake but I love the unknown!I love to prove History.And maybe not the way it was wrote down!

I have hobbies.

Genealogy
Collecting Old books
Collecting Old military memorabilia for different wars.
Collecting Bottles
Collecting pottery
Collecting Ephemera

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 04, 2019 03:00AM
Man, you collect pottery Keith? I have some samples for you to date for me!

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
June 04, 2019 12:06PM
It is an “ego thing” most of the time for me. I don’t need any more exercise! 30 years of being an auto mechanic has me all “exercised out”. Around here, on public land, there are no easy oldies ANYWHERE. All old coins are 7-8”+. I hunt those coins that nobody else found for various reasons, the biggest being...they just weren’t “good enough”, whatever that means. The evolution of learning and the progression of skills is all I have to work with, and I go work at it. My situation mirrors that of many people....when it comes to “old coin hunters”. When the coins are gone they’re gone, and that makes it one coin harder to find the next. If it was easy to do, I wouldn’t enjoy it. I want to do something that’s NOT easy, while still being enjoyable because of the potential reward. That’s where my therapy comes from.
June 04, 2019 12:14PM
Probably best thing is it clears You mind.
Kind of like getting in the wind on a good running old Harley like a shovel not a new yuppie one. As far as exercise I never really lost weight or was able to get in good shape doing it though. But I was a Drywaller for 30 years so my body is use to wear and tear I guess.
June 11, 2019 05:10PM
Although I refer to detecting as a hobby, it is really a way of life for me. It follows a hour early morning session at the gym for 4-5 hours almost every day. Even have my wonderful, understanding spouse programed into my way of life. HH jim tn