Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Private photos of Colorado and New Mexico in the late 1800s from British photographer

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Showing the cowboy life.

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

"Fascinating never-before-seen photos of cowboys in the Wild West have come to light 130 years later.

The early images were taken by a British farmhand and show life on the ranches of Colorado and New Mexico in the US in the 1880s.

One dramatic image captures the thrilling moment a group of cowboys ride towards the camera with hats held aloft.

The unnamed Brit who took the images would have documented his experience using these images which he collated into an album he bought home.

The snaps have been consigned for sale from the deceased estate of a private collector from Surrey, England."

They will go under the hammer with Flints Auctions, of Reading, Berks, who expect them to fetch £500.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
cool pics
There were no fat cowboys. LOL
That was great. Thanks Keith
Love seeing those old photos. Here's another collection. From my part of the country.
[www.kansasmemory.org]
I laughed at one of the comments at the bottom -

"No sign here of romantic loners with tragic pasts, wandering the plains doing good and fighting evil,
armed with a sleely gaze and a low-slung gun on his leg. And why no double-holstered, masked heroes
in baby-blue outfits ( so excessively tight that frontal views can be problematic), galloping hither and
thither on white steeds? Makes you question the authenticity of these pictures."

lol smoking smiley

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
Funny thing about old Hollywood westerns. Real cowboys and lawmen were consultants on some of the early ones. Here’s and interesting article about Wyatt Earp (the real one) in Hollywood.

[truewestmagazine.com]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Nice dgrest I'll look through them!!

Old photos show SO MUCH!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Deadwood is still my favorite modern western series. A little on the vulgar side but it ended way too soon. I have not yet watched the "movie" that just came out May 31st but am anxious to see it. So up to what I have saw of it... It's one of the few I've seen that didn't romanticize everything. The bad guy doesn't die at the end in some epic shootout and the good guy don't ride off into the sunset.
Thanks for sharing this buddy.