Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

EQUINOX & Crown Bottle Caps

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
EQUINOX & Crown Bottle Caps
June 05, 2019 03:38PM
Good read here....

[www.minelab.com]

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
Re: EQUINOX & Crown Bottle Caps
June 05, 2019 03:49PM
That's a good read, and also makes a good case of why it's worth the small premium to get the EQ800 vs the EQ600.
June 05, 2019 04:12PM
My thoughts too. Looking forward to trying this, crown caps suck, especially the crusty ones. Same problem w the Tarsacci, gotta be solution to that too....

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
June 05, 2019 04:52PM
The best solution to me is a mid size concentric coil but I doubt we'll ever see one. We'd be lucky to get a mid size (8-9") DD coil from Minelab.
June 05, 2019 09:58PM
Good info----It seems to work reasonably well on flat iron/busted tin as well using this check method.----Works especially well on those b.c.'s coming in say 11 through 14 (similar to a nickel) in Multi.-----I just wish the user button was in a more convenient place to activate it--it's fine going back into Park 1 after the check with a push of the detect button.
June 05, 2019 10:47PM
The tip for the 600 does work.....just cycle the frequency, but that doesn't work for beach mode because it is locked in Multi. I wish Minelab would unlock that in a firmware update because cycling modes is a pain.
June 06, 2019 11:13AM
I hunt more in the salt water so i dont have nearly the issue with bottle caps with either machine Aaron. Salt water seems to reduce the sensitivity to them ..... and of course im running beach 2... another reduction of sensitivity. Odd you should post this ..... i was thinking about posting too. Not that cant now recognize a bottle cap with either machine..... but that ive stopped hearing a lot of complaining about the Nox and bottle caps. People seem to be working around them knowing they cant do a lot about it. The shallow ones are fairly easy to ID........ the deep one can be a problem coming in unbroken with a digit around 10. BUT..... i believe bottle caps in the 12" range would likely be a target many of us might check if we get a scratchy or bouncy signal on another machine. I can normally tell by using the back of the coil ..... it tends to throw some negative digits at you. Something a good target dont do.
June 06, 2019 11:54AM
Instead of changing Modes or programs on the EQX...… you may want to try a normal coil sweep velocity....,,,,, and a fast coil sweep velocity. (((The old "wrist-snap" technique))). You should then see the ID numbers 'splatter'. . . . on a steel crown cap.
June 06, 2019 12:01PM
Dew, funny you should mention it. Hunting yesterday w the EQUINOX, found a nice area w several deep wheats 8-9”. Got a rock solid signal of 10 around 6”, yup it was a rusty crown. No hint of iron on VDI. I’ll remember switch over to single frequency next time.

Aaron
June 06, 2019 12:34PM
Interesting thread.

Some info here.
Cycling to single freq ops of either 5 kHz or 10 kHZ, and noticing a significant rise in ID,,does mean always mean bottlecap???
Nope.
Watch this video and pay close attention to EQX results.
[m.youtube.com]

It is my opinion a user of EQX doing the single freq thingy could indeed leave a nice find(s) innthe ground unknowing.

So what to do to increase one’s odds of not passing on a good find.
Believe it or not.

Do what has been said here by going to single freq and watching ID, but also checking in your detect program you are using and TURN up iron bias and sweep.
By turning up iron bias (and lose target) this will flush out and tell a person if any iron is present in detecting scenario.
Remember iron can make ID in error depending on its location/orientation to the nonferrous present. And turning up iron bias on a solo sitting pair of say higher and lower conductors where NOX is lying to one this particular scenario will still give tone with iron bias dialed higher. Try sweeping bottle cap with higher iron bias and see what happens.

So 2 checks need to be done to up odds of leaving nice nonferrous target in the ground. Question is, is doing both practical for one detecting.
The answer is up to the user.
But what I am saying above is true as far as EQX goes.

Imagine a &2.50 gold coin colocated with old silver dime.
By doing the checking in single freq ops and indeed see a rise in ID. One may indeed walk. Thinking bottlecap.

Or a gold ring and a silver dime maybe. Person might walk right on by.

Just thought I would share this.
Hate to see some one leave a good ole find buried.

I like to toggle in my actual detect program to single freq. and check.
And have my user profile program loaded up with high iron bias and use it check. On 800 model of course.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2019 01:00PM by tnsharpshooter.
June 06, 2019 01:39PM
Do you guys not trust this method?

link
June 07, 2019 02:26AM
The problem is the (deep ) steel bottle caps, once you dig out 5 scoops of sand and the coil is now near the bottle cap, it becomes obvious now that you have a cap.
June 09, 2019 12:59PM
I just returned from a Gulf Shores, AL beach trip and took my 14 khz. Kruzer for the ride.

I am just as convinced now as I was last year, that i cannot be fooled by bottle caps in both deep, dry and just below towel line (moist) sand. I cannot get them to consistently high tone without ratting themselves out with low/mid tones peaking in. A 10"-12" quarter in dry sand is straight high tones all day.