Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I dug my first R button today.

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I dug my first R button today.
June 10, 2019 02:18AM
Still hunting the 1850's fort site that we started hunting around the first of the year and I was able to score a few keepers. I started the morning using the CTX, but within 30 minutes, headed to the car to put her away. There's a time and place for the 3030, but, this place isn't it. Wandered around for a little while trying to get in tune, so I decided to hunt in between a couple of trees in an area we haven't put much pressure on. I stayed in that one area for about 7 hours and dug an unusual amount of epaulette debris today. I managed to score my first R button along with a Dragoon and a plain Eagle cuff. Targets were plentiful, so, we'll be back to give this spot a good working over. Towards the end of the day I dug a toasted copper coin that was banging 28-30, which after a little cleaning at home, it looks to be a mid 1800's Mexican 1/4 reale. This makes the fourth one to come out of here so far. I just started relic hunting this year, been mainly a coin shooter, but, I see why you guys love it, there's something special about digging this kind of history.

My settings on the 800 were:

Park 1

11" coil

Sens 22

Recovery 4

Iron bias 0

2-Tone

Tone break -9 to +8

Manual GB 3-4

No disc.

Re: I dug my first R button today.
June 10, 2019 03:49AM
Congrats! That R is high on my WANTED list.
June 10, 2019 04:07AM
Congrats on the R I've only dug 2 myself. Sounds like you have a great place for relics and yes its addicting to say the least. I have a 600 and use mine quite a bit for relic hunting. I like your settings and run mine similar with the exception of I run in park 2. Find it hits harder on low conductors like small pewters, round balls, small gold etc. Love to hear what else you find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 04:51AM by Abenson.
June 10, 2019 04:25AM
Nice hard to find

Only 2 in 40+ years here but I'm in the wrong Campaign for them to show up often.

I like the D button I cant dig them here.

Where your at you'll get some D's and R's .I bet this wont be your last R!

Nice thank's for showing!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 10, 2019 06:22AM
GREAT digs, as usual from you, Dan! I love that "R" button.

Keith -- as someone who is not in "Civil War" territory, and thus essentially zero experience hunting areas that saw fighting during the war, but instead just a bit of hunting on old western frontier fort sites, like Dan, can you elaborate on what you meant, regarding the "R" buttons and you being in the "wrong campaign?" There were not "riflemen," so to speak, engaged in the war itself? Can you offer a bit of the history surrounding your statement? It sounds to me like there's some interesting information sort of "hidden" in that one sentence of yours, that I'd love for you to "unpack," a bit...

Thanks!

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2019 06:23AM by steveg.
June 10, 2019 08:08AM
Dan...….. if you can...…… try 50-Tone. Especially in trashy sites. It does take some getting-use-to; yet, conveys a lot more data.
All other settings are good.
June 10, 2019 12:28PM
Abenson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congrats on the R I've only dug 2 myself. Sounds l
> ike you have a great place for relics and yes its
> addicting to say the least. I have a 600 and use m
> ine quite a bit for relic hunting. I like your set
> tings and run mine similar with the exception of I
> run in park 2. Find it hits harder on low conducto
> rs like small pewters, round balls, small gold etc
> . Love to hear what else you find.

I was running Park 2 until I did a test. I buried a large musket ball at 9", I set every mode up with identical settings except for the gold modes. I would do a ground balance and a noise cancel before scanning the musket ball. The only mode that hit the musket ball with a repeatable tone that I would dig, was park 1, that was not what I expected! I was digging the larger pieces of the epaulette at 14-16" with good repeatable tones, as well as the cans at 18" plus
June 10, 2019 12:29PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dan...….. if you can...…… try 50-Tone. Especially
> in trashy sites. It does take some getting-use-to;
> yet, conveys a lot more data.
> All other settings are good.

I'll try that next time I'm out there, thanks for the tip.
June 10, 2019 07:20PM
Nice digs/buttons Dan thumbs down
June 11, 2019 12:26AM
Hi Steve.

Right before the War started in 1861 The Rifleman buttons were no longer part of the U.S. Uniform.there was only A,C,I,lettered regimental buttons allowed for uniform use.And then only the officers got the lettered buttons and the enlisted got the shield buttons.

Some early war sites will see the R buttons and D buttons in use.Like in Virginia especially that would

Most anyone though that was using them as the war went on were Pre Civil War units that were with the South now.The R's and the D's and even The V's were in use in the Western and South Western fort sites in the 40s and 50s.

The Rs were assimilated into regular infantry but mainly Shaprshooters as that's what they really were up until the advent of the Minnie ball and infantry becoming RIFLE users but maybe not marksmen like the early days when Infantry used smooth bore and the Rifleman were elite and used Rifled guns but when they got new uniforms there would of been no R's on the Jackets.

Alot of the U.S pre war Rifleman regiments were in Louisiana And were even mounted and fought alongside the Dragoons.Alot of the Rifleman were along the Oregon trail and at Fort Scott if memory serves me correct.

In my area late war and knowing the units I lucked up on a band of Louisiana Sharpshooters Austins Brigade...Pre war unit that was now in confederate army.They traveled with Texas cavalry in my area..And I have the R buttons and the Whitworth bullets from there sites to prove it.

Every once in awhile even a D button will pop up around the areas .and maybe every once in awhile a V..I know of 2 Vs found in my area .These will be used by Reb's who were pre war fighters or there dads were maybe?

But by the late war the U.S were not using the R's at this point..BUT I found mine by tracking a specific group out of Louisiana and hunting the specific sites.I didnt plan on finding the R's I just did.BUt it solidified the now 4 Whitworths I have found..one carved which is a NO NO to do.And one dropped which is also very rare to do as a Whitworth carrier did not waste his ammo on carving or loosing.Actually the Whitworth carved came out of a site with a Script I button with New Orleans back mark.But this wasn't a infantry camp.It was Texas Cavalry camp//Lousiana sharpshooter camp but they used anything they got hold of.But all the finds lead back to the Louisiana sharpshooters being mixed with the cavalry.Like they were supposed to be from reports.

I may add also there was a small cannon group along with them .And again what was unique in one of there spots where I found a Confederate lined C cavalry button I located a early flat once piece South Carolina Gold gilt button..Why is that important?Well the unit was a early ELITE/PROUD/DISTINGUISHED pre war Artillery unit from South Carolina .they were the ones who fired on fort Sumter to start the war.That button would of been the type a soldier of that time period would of used.

Knowing all the details of an area your hunting troop wise will paint a picture.When you see things that shouldn't be there a little research will help you find out why it was there.

I know about everywhere a group of about 2500 men went for about 40 miles out away from the main body of Rebel forces..And its in places that was skirmish fighting more than huge battles.WHAT FUN it has been!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 11, 2019 12:59AM
You really are a TRUE historian Keith.

Thank you for the time in sharing.

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
June 11, 2019 08:26AM
Yes, Keith, THANK YOU, as Aaron said, for sharing, and taking the time to do so. Just fascinating, listening to what you have to share. That's why I asked. Just so I could metaphorically pull up a chair, have a seat, and listen to what you had to say.

I learned something (quite a few things, actually). That makes it a good day!

Thanks, Keith!

If you might indulge me in one more question -- can you elaborate on the Whitworth bullets, and their significance, a bit?

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 08:40AM by steveg.
June 11, 2019 09:05AM
Nice finds buddy.
June 11, 2019 12:19PM
Thanks everyone. Thank you Steve for asking Keith that question and thank you Keith for the history lesson!!!
June 12, 2019 01:08AM
Steve Whitworth bullets are what went in the Whitworth rifle form England.

The Confederate sharpshooters if they were lucky enough had the Whitworth.

They were designed to do one thing kill Officers, artilleryman etc at high distances.

Very very expensive back then to get one.Now days they fetch in the 6 figures for a whitworth with provenance.

The bullets fired have fetched 200.00 and the drops can get to 500.00

[www.ebay.com]

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
June 12, 2019 03:26AM
I’ve read before about the Whitworth rifle. As I recall they used it in England for long range target sports shooting,,,I think. I also seem to remember the Confederates ordered 400 of them?

I also heard somebody years ago down south discovered one in their attic.

You ever found one of those bullets Keith?

Aaron
June 12, 2019 04:03AM
I have 4 Whitworth bullets Aaron.

2 fired 1 drop and 1 carved

-Nikola Tesla
June 12, 2019 06:56AM
Man! What a endorphin rush that’s got to be to find history like that!
June 13, 2019 09:30AM
Fascinating, Keith.

THANK YOU, for the continued sharing of that wealth of information stored in your "personal hard drive," LOL.

Thank you...

Steve
June 15, 2019 10:16AM
Found a "R" in the early 1980's in Resaca, Ga. Haven't seen one since.

Barry