Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Buttons, lead and a silver bucket lister

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Buttons, lead and a silver bucket lister
June 18, 2019 02:11AM
Yesterda my buddy stumbled onto another hot spot at the 1850's site we've been hunting since the beginning of the year and found a Dragoon and an R button along with a really nice rosette. He wasn't able to go out today, but he gave me his blessing to head over and hunt it today. I'm sure he's not to happy about that now smiling smiley
I got there at 05:30 this morning and right away period items began to come to light, dropped musket ball, pistol ball, percussion cap and a trouser button on the first pass. That's always a good sign when you start to pull some keepers right from the get go. On the next pass, a percussion cap, 2 pulltabs, a pistol ball and then I get a 21-22 on the Nox 800. We seldom get very many items that hit in the 20's except aluminum slaw or deeply buried aluminum cans, most hits are in the 9 to 19 range. I fully expected to dig a piece of trash and was totally unprepared for what came out, when I saw what it was, I just threw it back onto the dirt pile, stood up and started walking around stunned. A major bucket lister that I always wanted to dig, but just never figured I'd ever see come outta the hole, my first Spanish Reale, smoking smiley My goal for the day was to at least dig a Dragoon or maybe another R button. This was the last thing I thought would ever come from this site, I'm still in awe that I was privileged to find such an awesome coin.
Somehow I was able to compose myself and continue hunting for another 9 hours and ended up with some excellent relics to add to my display case once I finish hunting this site. I did dig a lead, 1 piece button, my 3rd from here, anyone have any idea if it's period and what it's from? Once again my settings on the Nox

11" coil

Sens 23

Recovery 4

Iron bias 0

No disc

GB at 3-6

Park 1

2-tones

Tone break -9 to +8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 04:01AM by Dan(NM).
Re: Buttons, lead and a silver bucket lister
June 18, 2019 09:52AM
Outstanding hunt. Some great buttons and love the Reale. Got my first a year ago, 1814. Nice assortment of finds! HH jim tn
June 18, 2019 09:58AM
Congrats yet again! Those D buttons are just sick! Love em!!
June 18, 2019 10:20AM
Persistence, well done sir!
June 18, 2019 11:05AM
Awesome 1 Real.

I love finding Spanish silver. Where there's one, there might be more.

I'd be running Field 1, or if there is a lot of iron, Field 2.

If you can put up with the noise, try Gold 1 and you'll get a couple inches more depth.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2019 11:22AM by Badger in NH.
June 18, 2019 02:39PM
Awesome hunt love those D buttons. Congrats on the Reale, only found a few of those myself. Oldest was a 1786 half Reale, a nice 1814 2R and a few 1R's with date worn off. I'm surprised you do so well running Park 1 when most of what you are digging are low conductors. In my dirt here in Utah Park 2 or Field 2 are what I use as Park 1 and Field 1 do not do well in the iron trash and high mineral ground pulling low conductors. I've tested the 1's and the signals (especially deep ones) are choppy and have a lot of iron buzz. But I know you said you've tested in your dirt and 1's are better, it just surprises me that's all. Maybe the fact that you're running 2 tones helps, I run 50 tones and it gives me a lot more info on the target, you can almost always tell junk running 50 tones as the tone is not solid and numbers are jumpy. Hope you find some more good stuff and continue to share your success.
June 18, 2019 11:46PM
Great finds and write up---continued good luck to you.
June 18, 2019 11:55PM
Abenson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Awesome hunt love those D buttons. Congrats on the
> Reale, only found a few of those myself. Oldest wa
> s a 1786 half Reale, a nice 1814 2R and a few 1R's
> with date worn off. I'm surprised you do so well r
> unning Park 1 when most of what you are digging ar
> e low conductors. In my dirt here in Utah Park 2 o
> r Field 2 are what I use as Park 1 and Field 1 do
> not do well in the iron trash and high mineral gro
> und pulling low conductors. I've tested the 1's an
> d the signals (especially deep ones) are choppy an
> d have a lot of iron buzz. But I know you said you
> 've tested in your dirt and 1's are better, it jus
> t surprises me that's all. Maybe the fact that you
> 're running 2 tones helps, I run 50 tones and it g
> ives me a lot more info on the target, you can alm
> ost always tell junk running 50 tones as the tone
> is not solid and numbers are jumpy. Hope you find
> some more good stuff and continue to share your su
> ccess.

I'm quite surprised that Park 1 hits small brass as hard as it does. I'm getting a solid repeatable tone on the small leg of a percussion cap, maybe 1/8" x 1/8" in size. I'm getting good at ID'ing the iron hits, the numbers and the tone are off just enough to tell the difference. I'll still dig an iffy hit just to make sure though out the day, helps keeps me honest smiling smiley My plan next trip is to take a button and do the same test in all modes to see if my first test holds up.
June 19, 2019 02:17AM
You’re having a helluva year so far Dan, it’s cool to see things that aren’t, well....the same old thing! All KINDS of things are out there waiting to be found, WAY more than we have found so far! I know that’s hard to believe sometimes but you keep doing it, so fire up the coffee pot and carry on! Congrats on a VERY fine streak you have going!
June 19, 2019 12:43PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You’re having a helluva year so far Dan, it’s cool
> to see things that aren’t, well....the same old th
> ing! All KINDS of things are out there waiting to
> be found, WAY more than we have found so far! I kn
> ow that’s hard to believe sometimes but you keep d
> oing it, so fire up the coffee pot and carry on! C
> ongrats on a VERY fine streak you have going!

Thank you, it's been a very interesting year to say the least. My buddy and I have found some things we never thought possible from this site.
OBN
June 19, 2019 01:21PM
I'm not much for relic's and coins but I do love all you found! Looks like a great location and every dig is going to be exciting seeing what the last hunt gave. Good Luck and keep us posted...joe

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110