Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

are Equinox coils hard to make

Posted by Rick, N. MI 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
are Equinox coils hard to make
June 19, 2019 07:56PM
If not why aren't there more coils for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2019 12:54AM by Rick, N. MI.
Re: are Equinox coils hard o make
June 19, 2019 08:03PM
Rick,
Minelab has adopted a tech that does some A/D conversion in the coil itself.
This allows some real advantages as far as signal to noise improvements (noise reduction), and some level of signal smoothing.

It also allows ML to create proprietary chips and firmware that require licensing from them, if you wish to design and manufacture an accessory coil.
(Simiilar to the CTX.)

I'm only guessing here, but I suspect the license fee must be substantial enough to prevent many mfgs from signing on.
(Again, we saw the same thing with the CTX...with a grand total of 2 outside mfg coils.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 08:05PM by Mike in CO.
June 19, 2019 08:17PM
Well the 15 inch is about as big and heavy as a coil can be for the Nox. I will say again......in my opinion the 6 inch coil offers very little benefit over the stock coil. Target separation is very close. A coil in between the two....say a nine inch would offer nothing and just be a waste of money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2019 08:47PM by goodmore.
June 19, 2019 08:27PM
Many would like to have a 9" round and 5x9 coil.

I think they would become a main coil for many. Lighter weight and easier swing in the water.

I'm hitting the lakes for the next 3 days. Wish me luck.
June 19, 2019 09:45PM
If "they" make an 5X10" coil for the Equinox, they will sell PLENTY of them.----I'd go for one of them--but quick!-----Coiltek--ARE YOU LISTENIN??
June 20, 2019 12:29AM
I'd love to have a 9" coil.
June 20, 2019 12:56AM
I would love to have a 9" coil too.
June 20, 2019 01:01AM
Not trying to argue or say you are wrong.....Just wondering why a 9 inch?

The stock coil for me pretty much does it all. The 15 inch is ok on the beach, but in the water I hate it. The 6 inch has found very few targets that the stock coil has left behind. In fact I find the 6 inch coil makes it harder to ID iron and nails compared to the stock coil.
Re: are Equinox coils hard to make
June 20, 2019 01:06AM
The 9" coil for the water. The 11" coil tires me after about 4 hours in the water. I would like to switch to a smaller coil. The 6" coil is to small in the water.
June 20, 2019 01:41AM
Good enough answer for me. I know one thing.......water detecting is work. I watch videos of people like Grave digger Max and I am just amazed how he well he does it for a man older than me. I bet he was one tough hombre when he was younger.
June 20, 2019 01:41AM
You nailed it Rick
June 20, 2019 02:41AM
A 9 inch round would have a home at the end of my Equinox for sure. As already stated, it would be a great coil in water. That's all I really do any more is hunt in water. A 9 inch would make scooping blind to be much easier to get the target on the first scoop.
June 20, 2019 02:55AM
For me i really like the 6'',11'' and 15'' selection of coils for my UK farmland permission,the smaller coil is ideal for trashy roman/saxon sites but another main reason is that when harvest time finally arrives and the crops cut its a fantastic coil for getting in between the stubble row and the only other coil that i always used was the brilliant 5'' T2 coil but of course although that is a terrific combination it still is a single freq machine,this is when the Equinox comes into play having both single and multi freq ability.

Stock 11'' coil i find is absolutely ideal for general use,its not crazy heavy and i can swing it all day long without major problems,this coil stays on most of the time as it is the 'happy medium' coil.

15'' coil for its size its reasonably and can swing it for a few hours without a harness,of course most of the time its used on open pasture mainly for the extra ground coverage and yes it does give some slight depth advantage but not as deep as most folks think,but once again the trump card with the Equinox is the single and multi freq,its great being able too drop it down solely into 5khz especially when searching for relic/hoard hunting on a interesting historical site like say roman/saxon or celtic.

Of course the basic coils for the Equinox are not overly expensive too produce on a production line basis,but the reason they chip or software lock the coils so that only Minelab coils work on the detector is for pure business and making money for the company,ingenious business move and locks out all the 3rd party coil makers from taking potential profits away from the company.Its nothing to do with the technology its all about locking in as much profit from the whole Equinox platform.The coil slection for say the Deus and yes i have 2 full units if you take the selection for the coils for the Deus they are very expensive as well and once again they make alot of ongoing profits by bring out various oils and freq,but the down side from these coils is that you can only use a single freq at a time and not the multi frea and that is what the game changer is with the Equinox platform that all important patents as that lock out all other brands or certainly limits others.
June 20, 2019 11:33AM
YET..... ML LIMITS this machine by doing that IMO. Each of these modes could be considered a nitch machine...... more coils would enhance these modes. Thats the one thing i dont like about ML...... its always been you get what we give you. Ralph of SunRay used to do an excellent inline probe......had to stop doing the MLs. LOOK how popular some of the old MLs are ......mostly because of the coils available.
June 20, 2019 01:47PM
I think the 6' coil separates in trash ..Way better than stock coil....and is almost as deep!!!
I hunted with a Deus owner..9" coil(that is pretty darn good with it!)...and he could not even hear some of the targets in trash that the 6" heard.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2019 01:52PM by mascard1.
June 21, 2019 06:19PM
mascard1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the 6' coil separates in trash ..Way bette
> r than stock coil....and is almost as deep!!!
> I hunted with a Deus owner..9" coil(that is pretty
> darn good with it!)...and he could not even hear s
> ome of the targets in trash that the 6" heard.

Just setup my Equinox with the 6'' coil and my game plan is using it solely on my permissions for the rest of the year,in recent years my wrists have been causing me grief because of 2 motor bikes accidents in the 1970s and cannot swing a heavy rig for any great amounts of time.But i can swing a Nox and the 6'' coil all day long on my roman/saxon sites,will carry the stock and 15'' coil with me for the pasture sites that i detect on but for the most part the 6'' coil will be used most of the time.