Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My deepest detector so far

Posted by SkiWhiz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: My deepest detector so far
July 06, 2019 10:30AM
In Virginia, a 12 inch mini ball is just an ordinary find. Im speaking of central Virginia (Richmond). Look at how many GNRS hunts they use to win before the company fell apart. The answer would be all of them........
Different Coils on The Vistas
July 06, 2019 04:31PM
IMHO, The 11" DD is a "hair" deeper on the Vistas than the 7.7" x 10.5" coil. With that said, I like the elliptical coil better, I may lose a 1/2" or so but the better separation abilities outweighs
the depth performance. I hunt mainly old houses, CW sites that is littered with iron and if I need deeper on that coil, I turn the disc back.
The Super Six will out separate the 2 above mentioned coils and is unreal in iron but what is even more unbelievable, is the 5" coil. You can actually go behind the SS coil and still occasionally pull out a non-ferrous target.
The 8" coil feels, to me, like a small version of the 11" without that much loss of depth. The big coil is just that to me... While it will separate good and has crazy depth, it is heavy for a 72 year old. To use it effectively, I would need a harness. Again, just my 2 cents and I look forward to trying out the X's new coil.. HH Richard
July 06, 2019 04:40PM
Nautilus DMC IIB , I liked the IIBa but could always tweak the GB a little with the IIB.. HH Richard

PI: GPZ 7000 By Far
July 06, 2019 10:32PM
virginia digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A Nautilus 2b or 2BA can reach a 12 inch coin ever
> y day of the week ! The most powerful deep machine
> I have ever used !

I dug one of my deepest Indians ever dug with a Nautilus IIBa and the 8" coil. It was a solid 12". It gave that soft sweet almost disc. only round type tone it gives on deep keepers. Once you learn that tone you never forget it. It was one of the first run IIBa's with the thicker coil. Never had a issue with that coil in about 3 years of hunting in in all conditions. Then bought a newer model with the thin coil and had all kinds of problems. I will Never buy another with a thin coil. And yes my ground is moderate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2019 10:33PM by Harold,ILL..
July 07, 2019 12:00AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> virginia digger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A Nautilus 2b or 2BA can reach a 12 inch coin ev
> er
> > y day of the week ! The most powerful deep machi
> ne
> > I have ever used !
>
> I dug one of my deepest Indians ever dug with a Na
> utilus IIBa and the 8" coil. It was a solid 12". I
> t gave that soft sweet almost disc. only round typ
> e tone it gives on deep keepers. Once you learn th
> at tone you never forget it. It was one of the fir
> st run IIBa's with the thicker coil. Never had a i
> ssue with that coil in about 3 years of hunting in
> in all conditions. Then bought a newer model with
> the thin coil and had all kinds of problems. I wil
> l Never buy another with a thin coil. And yes my g
> round is moderate.

Ole Harold-----Why did you ever get rid of it for then????
July 07, 2019 12:56AM
Yeah coil for coil there's nothing still to this day as deep as a DMC2b.

As long as the soil dont get really bad there insane.

I had one of My 2b's coil's tuned for bad dirt once By Jerry ..It didn't blow back on me in my certain bad soil sites after that but the depth dropped off less than some other VLFs with DD's

I remember digging a Civil War Veteran ID disc once about size of big penny not far from my house in a excellent dirt site..It was off side of old house site and it was every bit 14 inches deep.8 inch coil.all metal barley rose and the high tone was right there with it ..I knew it was a small high conductor really deep.

The trick to the 2b is to keep that R & C balanced as needed.On start up and then about 30 minutes later and if you shift form shade to sun or temp makes drastic changes. You can tell when there off after you get used to them they will get chirpy.

I remember Jerry saying one time if he hadn't built the Nautilus the 5900 would be his machine to hunt with..I always wondered if he didn't barrow heavily form the 5900 circuit but on high freq and dual mode.

Dual mode Nautilus to me is far superior to any visual system ever made.by the way the timing of the all metal signal is to the disc beep ,,the conductors can be told easily.even at depth.

That's why a MXT is so deep if you use the relic Mixed mode and learn to listen for deep threshold wavers that either crackle the disc or leave it silent.I think the MXT took a look at a Nautilus.Though the MXT never quite got that analog feel to the audio it has some processing in it..The Nautilus actually feels like two machines running one coil in perfect harmony..

When you run mixed modes and learn them you better have a sharp shovel.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 07, 2019 02:40PM
Del, the only reason I did was the CZ-3D just came out and as a long time CZ guy had to have one. At the time could not afford more than one unit at a time so had to trade in the Nauty. I hated too believe me but figured if I could only have one unit some type of display would be the one to have as could also hunt heavier trash sites. Eventhough I got pretty good with the Nauty at semi trash sites as just listened for that soft modulated tone in the old parks. Believe Me wish I still had that one. Matter of fact six months later when I became more flush tried to get Brian from Southern Treasures to find it but guy who bought it sold it to someone else. And He did not want to turn it loose whoever he was.
So bought one with the thinner coil and it shortly went out of balance. I had to have it rebalanced a few times. Figured I had a lemon but bought a couple more through the years and same issues.
Having said that I know a guy who has had a thinner coil unit for years without ever having to have it balanced. Maybe He got lucky or a fluke? It seems the thicker coils would need a balance once if at all then be good for life?
Jerry never liked the thin coil design from what I hear but he sold the company already to the guy who came up with the idea forget his name as He passed away awhile back? He was trying to make the machine lighter so had good intentions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 05:21PM by Harold,ILL..
July 08, 2019 10:18AM
I knew Jerry and Stephan Garris (second owner). When Jerrys health became an issue, he sold company too Stephan. I too had several units that Stephen built and all had problems. If it doesn't say Tyndall on the side of the control box, I wouldn't even consider buying it. I later found out from current owner that Stephen didn't let the coil epoxy cure long enough and thus coil problems. Jerry and Stephen are both gone now. The Nautilus legacy still lives strong in Virginia. Used to be if you saw another hunter searching for civil war relics without a Nautilus, that person was a rookie !
July 08, 2019 01:11PM
Yep, I will never buy another one unless it says Tyndall electronics Inc. across the bottom of the box and hopefully a thicker coil also but that may be asking too much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2019 01:13PM by Harold,ILL..