Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Wilson metal detector coil specs needed

Posted by straker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wilson metal detector coil specs needed
June 22, 2019 08:59PM
I need the 5 pin connector specs showing what color wire goes to each pin. Plus the silver ground wire to the connector. Any help would be appreciated. I know this is better suited for the Geotech forum,but I have problems logging on.
Re: Wilson metal detector coil specs needed
June 22, 2019 11:08PM
Sent you a pm, not sure if it will be of any help to you.
June 23, 2019 01:55AM
Seems the Wilsons used to be able to use Whites 6b coils. if i remember correctly.and may of just needed a connector/pinout change to make the whites coils work

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 23, 2019 04:48AM
Which model Wilson?
June 23, 2019 05:04AM
It's a spare coil for a Wilson ATD. Being the Wilson coils are getting hard to find,I'm doing an experiment on an older Wilson metal detector coil and wanting to put a connector on it. The cable got cut and that is why I need the wiring order to the pins. I guess if worse comes to worse,I can pull my ATD connector apart and use it for reference.
June 24, 2019 03:59AM
Success! Found a suitable spare coil for the ATD. Was told that Paul Wilson used parts of the Wilson/Neuman models as a basis for his own creations. I was going to start a Wilson metal detector group on Facebook,but not enough input. I can only count 5 owners of Wilson metal detectors.
June 24, 2019 10:33AM
I think Ole' Keith Southern had a ATD at some point? He has had his share of Wilsons. I am sure he could give some good info on them.
June 25, 2019 04:14AM
straker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Success! Found a suitable spare coil for the ATD.
> Was told that Paul Wilson used parts of the Wilson
> /Neuman models as a basis for his own creations.
> I was going to start a Wilson metal detector group
> on Facebook,but not enough input. I can only coun
> t 5 owners of Wilson metal detectors.

Glad to hear it.
There are more than 5 of us...but perhaps not many more, LOL.

Not sure about what you were told. Paul was the chief designer of both...a brilliant engineer who didn't really need to copy anything.
Those early W/N Daytona designs were sorely lacking in depth. (and long term reliability)

He redeemed himself quite nicely with the VLF-710, ATD, R&C models, NorthStar, and Coin Select.

Good luck with your experiment, though!

winking smiley
mike
(ATD and VLF-710)
June 25, 2019 05:00AM
Mike,you have 2 of Paul Wilson's best models! I bought my ATD for a $100. It was inherited and the seller didn't want to use it. A low hour cream puff. The older Wilson/Neuman units failed after awhile,I believe due to using a flimsy ribbon connector between the circuit boards. My spare coil has the same 4 colored wires and bare wire as the original ATD coil. It even looks identical. Same frequency even. Now to put a switchcraft connector on it and test. I've never heard mention of this before. There was a gent in Canada that needed his busted coil repaired. He chose to replace the housing. What if something inside the coil went bad? Wilson coils aren't coming out of the wood work. Now,I've found a suitable replacement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2019 02:58AM by straker.
June 25, 2019 11:05PM
Nice to hear that the Wilson still holds an interest in people. The ATD in the best unit he made, I also have two VLF-710’s proto types, R&CII, R&CIII, two R&C IV’s, and two Coin Selects.
I like them all,they all work good, still one of my favourite beep and dig detectors. Hope the coil works for you and that you get get some use out of it.
June 26, 2019 01:21AM
Didn't Mr. Wilson also make the Orion 3 metal detector

straker Wrote:
> Success! Found a suitable spare coil for the ATD.
> Was told that Paul Wilson used parts of the Wilson
> /Neuman models as a basis for his own creations.
> I was going to start a Wilson metal detector group
> on Facebook,but not enough input. I can only coun
> t 5 owners of Wilson metal detectors.
June 26, 2019 02:53AM
It was Mr. Neuman. According to Andy Sabisch on field testing the O'rion Rocket Stage 3 from the December 1990 issue of Lost Treasure magazine. Both the O'RION and Wilson metal detectors share the same operating frequency of 6.875 khz.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2019 02:56AM by straker.
June 26, 2019 04:33PM
Hey Beau, I have a question for you. Can you set the Coin select in disc. setting Quarter and up and still get silver dimes but not clad dimes? A guy selling his on eBay said his will do that? In others words cherry pick silver and Quarters?
Thanks.
June 26, 2019 11:07PM
Hi Harold, on max disc setting on Coin Select you cancell all clad coins, plus just about everything else. It will still pick up silver, won’t pick up a Canadian silver dime at that setting but will get a U.S. silver dime but not at any depth,where a silver quarter it will pick up at good depth. I’m pretty sure the R&C detectors can do the same, I’ll have to try that out. I get the same with my Minelab Relic Hawk. At max disc it will only pick up silver.
I’m sure other detectors does the same.
June 27, 2019 03:28AM
straker Wrote:
> It was Mr. Neuman. According to Andy Sabisch on f
> ield testing the O'rion Rocket Stage 3 from the De
> cember 1990 issue of Lost Treasure magazine. Both
> the O'RION and Wilson metal detectors share the sa
> me operating frequency of 6.875 khz.

No, this detector if I remember right was 100 kHz I don't believe it was called the rocket just the Orion 1, 2, or 3
June 27, 2019 05:40PM
Beau, I had a RC II for a brief time but don't think it could do that? Also Mr. Wilson really stressed that Quarter up point when selling the Coin select as if his previous models could not do it?
I may be wrong as won't be the first time.
June 29, 2019 12:38AM
u2robert Wrote:
>
> No, this detector if I remember right was 100 kHz
> I don't believe it was called the rocket just the
> Orion 1, 2, or 3

O'RION Rocket Stage 2 Metal Detector
June 29, 2019 08:54PM
Yes Harold I had the ADT. well couple of them actually.It seemed to be the best of the Wilsons.It could be ground balanced!

Had the R&C II and R&C IV seemed to be the same machines.turn on and hunt.

Had a North Star and a Coin Select also.Coin select at full disc could drop a clad dime and hear a silver dime.but it being so close to the disc point of accepting a silver dime but rejecting a clad to make it happen the silver dimes would not report out far unless you backed the disc up to start accepting clad dime or less.

They all were deep in my soil even with factory set Ground balance.

Were very quiet in iron even big iron.Maybe too quiet if you know what I mean..BUT for the time period especially they were built and the super slow sweep speed they could do they would snag stuff in iron.they were not like a Hyper gain unit we have today in terms of getting the low stuff out of nails.But they made finds and loved silver.

Wilson's can be swept extremely slow and still get depth.And work through iron sites and trash with that slow sweep and give a chance for the machine to reset between targets

Put the disc down to nail reject and they unmask quite well as they had a broad range to just break a nail up and still report a co-locate.I see them as good as a classic III or IDX etc in unmasking.if they would of ever had a small 5 coil they may of been better than a whites classic series??

Tesoros with 120 disc worked a bit better on unmasking in nails for lower stuff like buttons and low brass.Like nickle on down. Using Higher freq.

I talked to Paul a few times on the phone back in the 90s or so really nice guy and very Knowledgeable and always helpful!!Last time I talked to him he was building the northstar and he was proud of it.!!And mentioned he had an idea for a newer model that was to become the Coinselect.I know the Northstar came with a 9 inch coil looked like a 950 whites mold.He said he had some 7's to fit it but never ordered one and not sure I've ever seen a 7 for the northstar or Coinselect.Might of been built but not sure Ive seen one. I know the older models had some 7's but used the screw on plug.

I remember when you would buy a Wilson it came in a box and it was packed in like mattress foam.Very secure.He wanted his Instrument to be shipped very well!!He loved to hear of success with his machines in the field.He gave the sort of feeling that they were all his children.And loved them!

I remember in the late 80s early 90s the Relic and Coins were all the craze in Civil War camps before the boosted Version Nautilus arrived.Id go to relic shows back then and while I didnt have a Wilson then the dealers out of Virginia would be talking up the Relic & Coin even abandoning the standard DMC's in favor of the Wilson.But then the Boosted DMC came along and the power of that unit still to this day is about untouchable in good soil for depth and does quiet well in iron too boot.That's one powerful deep unit.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 04, 2019 12:31AM
Besides the ATD(Analog To Digital) having manual ground balance, it also had two non motion modes, All Metal, and disc mode. It also had two motion modes, All metal and disc.
Don’t believe that was on any other of his detectors. No ground balance on any R&C detectors or the Northstar ,neither on the Coin Select. The VLF-710 is no slouch but the ATD was his best.
Re: Wilson metal detector pots specs needed
August 17, 2019 04:52PM
I have 3 Wilson’s R&C 2,3,4 I need a battery door and both pots. Does anybody know what pots and where I may find them? Thanks n advance.
August 18, 2019 08:55PM
straker Wrote:
> u2robert Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > No, this detector if I remember right was 100 kH
> z
> > I don't believe it was called the rocket just th
> e
> > Orion 1, 2, or 3
>
> [url=http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-dis
> cussion/461905-orion-rocket-stage-2-a.html]O'RION
> Rocket Stage 2 Metal Detector[/url]

That's it all right. I had the Orion 3
August 24, 2019 04:24AM
I own a Wilson 710! Found this forum while looking for info on it.
I’ve had it for a couple years but haven’t really used it.
December 25, 2019 12:20AM
straker Wrote:
> Mike,you have 2 of Paul Wilson's best models! I b
> ought my ATD for a $100. It was inherited and the
> seller didn't want to use it. A low hour cream pu
> ff. The older Wilson/Neuman units failed after aw
> hile,I believe due to using a flimsy ribbon connec
> tor between the circuit boards. My spare coil has
> the same 4 colored wires and bare wire as the orig
> inal ATD coil. It even looks identical. Same fre
> quency even. Now to put a switchcraft connector o
> n it and test. I've never heard mention of this b
> efore. There was a gent in Canada that needed his
> busted coil repaired. He chose to replace the hou
> sing. What if something inside the coil went bad?
> Wilson coils aren't coming out of the wood work.
> Now,I've found a suitable replacement.

I replaced the shell on two Wilson RC coils. First one I did as an 8" because that was the only shell available. Then I had the shell maker custom make me a 71/4" OEM size and I did the other coil with it. Works perfectly good as the OEM did.

Also have a Wilson Coin Select that came with the 71/4" and 9" coils. Bit more depth with 9" but barely an inch more maybe.

I really wish these machines had all-metal non-motion. Some vary deep targets barely beep. Would be nice to confirm a target is actually there with all-metal.
December 25, 2019 05:42AM
PS

I also added a crude GB to my RCll and my Coin Select. I adjusted to where it just stops chattering over clean ground. I find I get better depth this way.