Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Let’s talk videos - what do folks think is ok to video.

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Let’s talk videos - what do folks think is ok to video.
June 26, 2019 08:18PM
Don’t think have seen this topic talked about much as far as a dedicated thread goes.

So all opinions welcome- as long as constructive

I’ll share my thoughts.

I try to do videos.
Don’t like to do over 15 minutes worth and put in one video.
If necessary I would try and break up into sections with smaller time frame videos.

I do do head to head comparison videos. Comparing detectors sometimes from the same manufacturer. And sometimes a comparison from multiple different manufacturers detectors.

I don’t push any model detector, rather show the results. Now I do comment in videos as far as which is for example, which detector giving better signal or any signal at all.
I never tell folks to go buy X detector.
I never tell folks don’t buy Y detector.

Some folks here have I think tried to say my videos may be akin to tutoring.
Maybe so.
But I share info. Give tips, etc.
I don’t want to be viewed as having a monopoly (knowledge or experience wise) on what any one detector does or doesn’t do.
There are some folks who may be interested in getting into detecting.
There may be some folks just looking for evidence to help back their own thoughts as far as their own detector operation or tendencies.
Some folks may just need help and maybe they don’t Have the time to detect enough to learn some things.

Different folks have different approaches when it comes to videos.
I don’t write down any of my comments pre video, rather I just talk off the top of my head.
I will most times though do a pre test as far as what I am going to show.
And sometimes depending I may even watch real quick after videoing to see if I captured the video and or audio i needed to capture.
Occasionally I don’t do any pretesting and just turn on camera and go for it.

Some folks, maybe they don’t like my accent.
I sure can’t help this issue. On second thoughtI guess I could. I could wear earplugs when any other human beings are around me. Then take out the plugs. If I did this I may start sounding like a bird or squirrel or even a coyote though. Lol

My videos are plain Jane. No intro. No music. And they will stay this way.

Cheers.

Look forward to hearing others thoughts on the you tube video thingy.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2019 08:26PM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Let’s talk videos - what do folks think is ok to video.
June 26, 2019 08:45PM

tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

I’ll share my thoughts.

I don’t want to be viewed as having a monopoly (knowledge or experience wise) on what any one detector does or doesn’t do.

Pretty sure you'll never have to worry about that one
June 26, 2019 10:57PM
Good straight forward info for making videos.

On real hunt videos I want to hear the detector. Also want to hear them as they go through iron trash.

If I can't hear the detector I don't watch the video.
June 26, 2019 11:20PM
You and I are on the same page David, I don’t even go hunting without filming nowadays, just in case I get a signal that is worth putting on film for someone to listen to. For some reason I feel the need to try to produce something that night might help the newer user, or even present something that a more intermediate hunter can use. However, unlike you, I’m an FBS zealot, because I still feel that for WHAT I DO which is strictly hunt deep old coins in “acceptable” ground, there’s nothing that can produce the same results. I’d like to think there are other FBS users that might get SOMETHING out of what I film. Videos are the length you stated...15 minutes or less, no production work with music and nonsense. All meat and potatoes, that’s it.
OBN
June 27, 2019 02:29AM
I think you are fine on your video's. I've been doing video's since 2008, (One of the first water hunters) For me 15 minutes is to long, I try and stay under 10..and get the point across right away. which takes a lot of editing. I've done the comparisons and always upset someone, so they are all private now...And I love the the accent, maybe because I'm from the hills?..My gripe with a lot of video's on youtube ..(and not your video's) I want to hear the audio of the detector. One other thing that killed me, when I did a video how to on the excalibur......then 2 years later someone comes along and says it was there idea. I've retired from all of that now and just a hunter. I do enjoy shooting video of my hunts and only sharing it with a few friends, Now mostly for me because I'm getting old and someday can set back and remember. .

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
June 27, 2019 02:35AM
I will not watch videos where the intro... music, past finds, etc.....is as long as the current video. Please stop with the boring, non relevant, intro crap! Waste of my time!
Get to the video. Some guys think that they are producing a major motion picture or something.

I agree with what was stated previously- I like to hear the target as well...a couple of swings only...not five minutes of swinging back and forth over the same target from every conceivable angle. The Hoover Boys have videos down go a science. They know how to edit. Watch theirs and get a clue how to do a video. Short, relevant, and to the point.

Dean
June 27, 2019 02:45AM
Short and to the point?
Look here.
[m.youtube.com]

Most vids look long to me. I have watched a few of theirs. Most are finds oriented. Didn’t see many detector comparison vids or detector tips/ops vids.
So some like their vids. I don’t.

I guess I have a hard time understanding.

If I were going to hunt 1700s and 1800s dated sites and was coin hunting and was serious. Why in the world would I use an At Pro or At Max. Duh!

Now I realize some folks budgets are limited. Just don’t add up with those boys though. At least using the math I am accustomed to using where 2 + 2 =4.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2019 02:56AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 27, 2019 04:46AM
Live digs only. I hate it when people say "wow that was a sweet sounding hit" then show a dug coin on top of a plug! How do I know the target was actually dug? I want to hear the audio to see why you dug it? No long intro's as others have noted. Keep it under 10 seconds. 5 would be better. All my videos are live so there is no doubt the target wasn't planted.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 27, 2019 02:04PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Short and to the point?
> Look here.
> [m.youtube.com]
> 8GZg/videos
>
> Most vids look long to me. I have watched a few o
> f theirs. Most are finds oriented. Didn’t see
> many detector comparison vids or detector tips/ops
> vids.
> So some like their vids. I don’t.
>
> I guess I have a hard time understanding.
>
> If I were going to hunt 1700s and 1800s dated site
> s and was coin hunting and was serious. Why in th
> e world would I use an At Pro or At Max. Duh!
>
> Now I realize some folks budgets are limited. Jus
> t don’t add up with those boys though. At least u
> sing the math I am accustomed to using where 2 + 2
> =4.

Sponsorship by Garrett. Not my first choice either. I was referring more to how well they edit. Some live digs but not wasting time digging every single target.
I like your vids, David. To the point and educational. Keith's and CD's as well.

Dean
June 27, 2019 03:18PM
I can edit. Do sometimes. Sure don’t want to edit out all junk and iron I dig. Might give wrong impression of detector model and or even my skill set.
Videos depending can definitely mislead folks.
I do think some folks get hoodooed by watching some vids and think it’s real easy.
Buy detector sweep and presto grand finds start happening,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2019 03:21PM by tnsharpshooter.
June 27, 2019 04:03PM
Only thing I can add to the first post is audio quality. Sometimes wind noise makes it difficult to hear what the detectorist is saying. Good Summary!