Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Metal Detector Advertising 1970-1990's

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Metal Detector Advertising 1970-1990's
July 04, 2019 12:12AM
Six files you can download to view now.

[www.treasurelinx.com]

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: Metal Detector Advertising 1970-1990's
July 04, 2019 07:20PM
thanx for the trip down memory lane. I remember when Garrets were "all the rage" (1978-ish). But then Whites came out with the 6000D, and .... all us Garrett guys tucked our tails between our legs, and ran out to buy Whites. Doh! I recall seeing an AH pro & Relco, back in those days. But don't recall seeing some of those other brands around here.

And ... ssshhheeesskk, why don't see see girls in bikinis advertising the various detectors nowadays ? Last I saw, it was only some ugly pot-belly guys showing off supposed old coin and button/buckle finds, eh ? thumbs up
July 04, 2019 07:43PM
Loved all the older detector ad's, I remember having the first RB-7 SPD around here, was really scooping up the silver for awhile til the slow motion swing deeper machines by whites showed up. The spd Rb-7 had to be swung fast and it would go deeper than the older tr at the time, most those early tr machines your lucky to have gotten 3" depth from. I think I was getting 5-6" from the SPD RB-7, which is a far cry from todays depths.
July 04, 2019 08:08PM
MXT SNIPER Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Loved all the older detector ad's, I remember havi
> ng the first RB-7 SPD around here, was really scoo
> ping up the silver for awhile til the slow motion
> swing deeper machines by whites showed up. The spd
> Rb-7 had to be swung fast and it would go deeper t
> han the older tr at the time, most those early tr
> machines your lucky to have gotten 3" depth from.
> I think I was getting 5-6" from the SPD RB-7, whic
> h is a far cry from todays depths.

I remember those ! They predated the 6000D and 6DB. Came out in about 1977 (according to when they first appeared in advertisements and product reviews in the magazines). Contrast to the 6000D and 6DB which came out in about 1978, if I recall. However, not many of them were sold . At least not in my area. I never saw one of them. Till they were side-by-side with the 6000Ds. In which case: They were about equivalent, if I recall.

And while it's debatable if the depth was superior to TR disc. of-the-era, one thing that wasn't debatable: The SPEED of which you could cover ground, was very fast . Simply based on the speed you had to swing the machine. Doh !

I recall comparing flagged signals with a 6DB user, is about 1979 or '80, in junky worked-out-turf park. I was using a Groundhog (TR disc) and he was using a 6DB. He pointed out a signal that he suspected was a deep coin. I *could* get it with my TR disc. But *only* because it was pointed out to me. Ie.: I'd had to have been criss-crossing it, comparing in all-metal and disc, to have made the decision.

Believe-you-me: After several such "eye-opening" comparisons, those of us old-schoolers stopped making fun of those guys who appeared to be "golfing". And quietly ran out to buy our own motion discriminators. Doh ! eye rolling smiley
July 04, 2019 08:15PM
MXT SNIPER Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .... the first RB-7 SPD ....

Also, for those not aware: "SPD" stood for "synchronised phase discrimination" Whites labelled the exact same thing as "GEB" (ground exclusion balance) . Other makers simply labelled it "VLF disc".

Which ... for a short while, caused confusion. Because : So too did VLF/TR machines have a "disc" on them. So to a lot of us numb-nuts, the mere mention of "VLF" simply meant "all-metal".

Eventually, the whole concept was labelled "motion disc". And yes .... within a few year (mid to late 1980s) the swing speed was slowed way down.

Aaaahhhh, the trip down memory lane :/