Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

No traffic anymore!....

Posted by mrb1268 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
No traffic anymore!....
October 30, 2022 10:56PM
I remember not too long ago it was near constant conversation about F75,T2,Fores Core,ATPro,CZ??, Racer, new pin pointer Etc....was it the fact that most detectors then were so closely matched based on technical abilities, ergo and such?...always something to mod/compare/debate it seemed.....now if it's not D2 or MC there is nothing to discuss it seems?....or is it that the old timers are reaching physical limitations and or passing away?,., is the younger gen just not interested in the hobby or are rules and regs trying to stop detecting in public parks and such here in the states more of a problem than folks realize?...are the veteran detectorist so grumpy a new one don't want to learn from them?.....I admit in every way I don't normally post much but surely enjoyed clicking the Dankowski icon daily to see what everyone was talking about, especially when Tom D. Or Keith S. Would post something educational or how to video. Really miss that..,...so where did everyone go??? ...any thought or response welcome.
Re: No traffic anymore!....
October 31, 2022 01:22AM
Most metal-detecting conversation/camaraderie these days occurs on Facebook; however, for those of us who prefer the "forum" format for sharing hobby-related info, there's still some conversation here that's worth keeping tuned in for.

The other issue is that there's been some technical issue that largely keeps new folks from being able to join this forum. Unless it's been fixed recently, it's been going on for at least a couple of years...

Steve
October 31, 2022 01:51AM
I look at it everyday
October 31, 2022 02:29AM
steveg....... I think that's absolutely correct. We (very rarely) have new members. I DO feel that it is nearly impossible for someone new...... to be able to join and post.....on this forum. I'm not sure if Wally (Web-Master) is too busy......,,,,,,,,.......or maybe he is not even receiving/getting/seeing the requests from new members. Heck; I still trying to get j.t. ...... and several EXISTING members to regain access back on the forum. They've been requesting...... for over 1/2-year!!! FORTUNATELY...... they have my direct e-mail address; otherwise..... I would NEVER know there's a registration problem.
October 31, 2022 02:46AM
I'm not dead yet, LOL!
October 31, 2022 03:30AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not dead yet, LOL!

Ole Harold!!! smiling smiley
October 31, 2022 05:38AM
Tom D.,, I know you have a busy scenario right around the corner with MC, have you thought about possibly deleting this forum and restarting it with a new forum or Facebook?...something more accessible/efficient?...or is that more of an undertaking than meets the eye?
Did somebody move the cheese? Again?
October 31, 2022 06:50AM
Still here but have to admit I've seen fewer posts the last couple years on topics of substance. Seems social media the last couple years has turned poisonous with bickering, insults, divisiveness to the point of being polarizing.

I like to read posts from other detectorists about equipment they're using, how they are working through challenges to their particular detecting and maybe even the results of their hunt. Helps me in working through my own challenges and improving my results. Maybe even inspiring me to try some new things.

Winter is coming in for me which means frozen everything and time to do some research, maybe an upgrade a scoop handle or a floating screen or adding another detector. Or maybe even branching out to other avenues or detecting. Lots to ponder.

Rich

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2022 08:55PM by Gonebeepin'.
Re: Did somebody move the cheese? Again?
October 31, 2022 01:12PM
Why build facebook when if truth be known they would shut the hobby down completely.
JCR
October 31, 2022 01:30PM
Let's all commit to trying to be more active here with new topics, posts & replies. This really is a special place when we let it be. I thought of a question last night that I will start a topic on. This forum is the only place that I can expect a good, informative discussion on serious topics related to detecting.

Chris
October 31, 2022 01:55PM
Chris --

I agree with you.

IF I had the skills to be a webmaster, I'd take on the job. I'd love to see this forum moved to a different forum software; doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but something better than the existing software, and maintained more actively by a webmaster with the time to invest, would really help. Hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes in saying that, but there are some good people/posters here -- VERY good and very knowledgeable people, and I hope that continues. But the current forum software, and difficulty (impossibility) of new members joining, is not ideal.

I don't like Facebook -- don't like the company, and for metal-detecting information, I don't like the format of "timelines" or whatever, for posting information. Instead, a forum, with the ability to follow/search any "threads" that you are interested in, and having that history right there and available (and searchable), is a much better format in my opinion for this type of discussion. Facebook's format works OK for posting finds, or mentioning something of interest. But, once it's "gone," it's tough to retrieve. The "forum" format is MUCH better, in my opinion.

I would love to help solve these issues, but my skills are limited in that regard. But I'd be more than willing to assist...

Steve
October 31, 2022 02:22PM
I'm here everyday, multiple times a day. I don't post much but enjoy the input by most everyone. Facebook = gone.
October 31, 2022 03:07PM
Detecting is a buggy-whip hobby , accept that and everything falls into place.
October 31, 2022 06:12PM
I check here almost every day.

I think as Steve stated a lot of groups have moved to Facebook, but there's also some issues with the forum software used here. Lack of SSL certs causes havoc for some web browsers/devices and the display of the forum is less than desirable, and for those that are less that inclined to learn something new it can be challenging to post photos, etc. Some easy upgrades would refresh the site and most likely would attract new members. There's other forums out there that are doing quite well despite Facebook poaching a lot of the action.
November 01, 2022 12:03AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> I check here almost every day.
>

I just wait for you to test new mousetraps. And let you do all the heavy lifting for product review debate studies, tests, rumor-mill tech-talk etc.... What are friends for after all ? smoking smiley
November 01, 2022 01:02AM
I quit posting here as much because Y’all said I was a "know it all and blowhard". Some of you have done a pretty good job of keeping people ran off that you don't feel are part of your clique. If all you welcome are ghosts, it doesn't take it long to become a ghost town. If it weren't for Tom's posts, I probably wouldn't come here at all.
November 01, 2022 01:07AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I quit posting here as much because Y’all said I w
> as a "know it all and blowhard". Some of you have
> done a pretty good job of keeping people ran off t
> hat you don't feel are part of your clique. If all
> you welcome are ghosts, it doesn't take it long to
> become a ghost town. If it weren't for Tom's post
> s, I probably wouldn't come here at all.

I don't think you know it all, so you should post.lol..
JCR
November 01, 2022 01:27AM
I visit everyday looking for knowledge & insight. Those things run deeper AND wider among the membership here than just about anywhere for a layman to access.
If I wanted to see finds, there are better places than this forum. If I wanted to see Egos & drama I would watch television.
I will keep reading and posting when I think I have something constructive to add. The only person that can run me off is NASA Tom.

Chris
November 01, 2022 02:23AM
AND WALLY---(owner of the forum).-----JCR Wrote:
> I visit everyday looking for knowledge & insight.
> Those things run deeper AND wider among the member
> ship here than just about anywhere for a layman to
> access.
> If I wanted to see finds, there are better places
> than this forum. If I wanted to see Egos & drama I
> would watch television.
> I will keep reading and posting when I think I ha
> ve something constructive to add. The only person
> that can run me off is NASA Tom.
November 01, 2022 09:54AM
I’m another member that comes here to read every day but doesn’t post often, only because someone has usually already stated sometime similar to what I would have contributed. I think if the issues with new members access can’t be fixed in several months, it probably either can’t be fixed or Wally just doesn’t have the time to maintain the forum anymore. Either way, a newer forum software and someone with more time would be the answer. The answer ISN’T Facebook, because many of us loath going on there because it’s SO full of drama, anger, and trolls and it just becomes a time vacuum. I would love to see this forum get an update and fresh new look and would contribute to the cause, either in time and/or $$ as I’m sure many of you would.
November 01, 2022 11:44AM
Tom D., If it ends up that new forum software is the best answer and it does look that way because of all the bulljive that comes along with FB, .... I would be willing to contribute too and imagine a lot more would as well.... No pressure just food for thought.
November 01, 2022 02:40PM
Im a niche hunter .....hunting mostly in the Gulf. Since ive moved to Fl ive not done any dirt hunting and in fact sold all my machine but the MDT. The site until recently was primarily dirt hunting discussions so i came on more to read. However this is my 28th year of detecting. IMO a FB page is very limited. Its todays posts ...then kind of fades away. I cant imagine real long posts helping people on new equipment without it going to PMs. Plus you can see several posts all on one long page here. We also dont get a lot of pictures (take a bit to do) or daily finds from everyone. I think most will agree we come here to get educated by some smart Gurus. The site can be a challenge sometimes...... like all of a sudden my IPhone wont let me post.... so out comes the computer, again something i dont use much so it keeps me from posting. I get more info on machines here..... but FB gives us accessories, more local info about say the beaches, Local hunters are normally on there as well so there is some shared info. Now the drama ..... well it can get pretty hot on here.... FB is normally a lot more controlled when it comes to personal attacks. There are advantages to both.
November 01, 2022 06:22PM
Time permitting ...... I may talk to Wally......and see if any feasible improvements can be implemented.
November 02, 2022 12:20AM
NASA-Tom,

Thanks.

Steve
November 02, 2022 12:45AM
Tom D., much appreciated,, thank you.
November 02, 2022 03:12AM
I was told from TOM David is posting this stuff stop posting so I did.

Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I quit posting here as much because Y’all said I w
> as a "know it all and blowhard". Some of you have
> done a pretty good job of keeping people ran off t
> hat you don't feel are part of your clique. If all
> you welcome are ghosts, it doesn't take it long to
> become a ghost town. If it weren't for Tom's post
> s, I probably wouldn't come here at all.
November 02, 2022 08:45PM
I haven't been treasure hunting at all in 2022 so I have nothing to post about. And the detectors I like to use are not the latest greatest newest so no wants to hear about them anyway.

Also I'm another person that doesn't use social engineering sites so the bulletin board style forums are about the only way I will engage.

I'm basically on the site now and again keeping up with the Manticore as I have actually been waiting on this one (Multi-IQ with a visual aid).

That and see if Tom has generated any new articles.

Good luck to all,
Mike
November 02, 2022 09:23PM
I come here everyday multiple times, don't post my finds because it's a pita because of the picture posting situation. With that said, not much being posted on any forum right now, not even Facebook. I value this site as a great place to learn and gather information.
November 02, 2022 11:50PM
There is such a delta between the newest top-performing detectors and the expectations for them versus every detector older than a year ago that there isn't much merit in discussing anything else but the superiorities of the top three or four detectors. In the past, a much wider group of possible competitive detectors existed from a greater variety of different manufacturers. Not so anymore. So, I stop by once a week to catch up on evaluations of these top performers out of curiosity, but I"m not in the market for a detector, so it's just academic.

As was said earlier, my main interest is learning, with an emphasis on reading Tom's evaluations and his various musings and insights. I rarely go to other detector forums. Too many uneducated opinions with little value added, rehashing the same old nonsense, and people posing benign questions with self-evident solutions if they'd bother to use the search engine.

I suppose if Tom weren't posting anymore, this forum would likely, not unlike old soldiers, just fade away.

I do suggest, however, having a separate forum area for detector-related sales to keep the main forum timeline uncluttered.
November 03, 2022 02:56PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I check here almost every day.
> >
>
> I just wait for you to test new mousetraps.
> And let you do all the heavy lifting for pr
> oduct review debate studies, tests, rumor-mill tec
> h-talk etc.... What are friends for after all ?
> smoking smiley

Just stick to your Dino2K, it's the best of the best smiling smiley