Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab Equinox owners - Question

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Minelab Equinox owners - Question
July 28, 2019 04:00AM
Interesting.
I can only go to a speed of 4 in my ground (area)-stock coil.
Have checked some undisturbed targets in the wild. Four was a pass, three was a fail (any coil speed swept). Gotta go pretty slow with speed 4 too even in cleaner ground.

Also wasn’t there a genius here who was telling us the Eqx was just a relic detector??

Guess he could look at the specs and tell us. Rather than use the detector. Lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 04:09AM by tnsharpshooter.
July 28, 2019 09:10AM
David...…….. you have fairly heavy mineralization...…….. soooooooooo………………… you do indeed have to employ other (deviation from the norm) non-standard settings to ascertain peak performance; and that's 'why' they are there/available/employable...… (by no accident).

Andrew:
Park-1 is for American hunters
Field-1 & 2 are for European hunters

Park-1 is for deep, thick silver
Field-1 & 2 are for deep thin (sometimes razor-thin) silver...… and relics

But...………… that being said...……… (and to answer your primary question): Park-1 presents tremendous depth(s) on Nickels. . . . . which are fairly low conductors. So if you are looking for coins AND relics simultaneously ….. Park-1 is engineered exactly for this. When I am using a EQX for relic hunting...… I utilize Park-1 ….. for about 93% of all applications. I will use Field-2 (and Prospecting-1 & 2) for pistol percussion-cap, buck-n-ball, bird-shot sized targets.
We put a lot of 'thunk-time' into the exacting engineering architect of each/every specific Mode of the EQX. . . . . none of which ...were for 'marketing-sales-buzz'. They all suit exacting target-specific demands. Truthfully...… In many regards...… there's really not that much difference between Park and Field Modes (in real-world dirt applications); yet, the minute' differences very specifically target the engineering physicist-minded geeks of whom demand exacting pinnacle perfection..... in utilizable/applicable foray.
Remember...… the higher freq's employed (in simultaneous fashion) in the Field (and Prospecting) Modes ……. can become easily attenuated with bad dirt...… and also with EMI. Choose wisely.
(((EMI has been my worst enemy))).
When Sensitivity is on 23, 24 or 25...……. exceptional things 'can' happen. (EMI can easily kill-joy all of this).
July 28, 2019 10:32AM
Well Tom you have certainly taken away a few more mysteries about the complicated settings of the Equinox. You know the ones that require a book.

Park one over 90 percent of the time.
0 iron bias all the time.

What is in that book? 100 pages of recovery speed?

Simplicity is great.
July 28, 2019 12:21PM
The iron bias feature.
When EQX was first debuted this feature Seems was not part of Brochure. Folks here may remember. It seems it was added at some point. Unless iron bias was inadvertently left out of Brochure. Don’t think so though.
July 28, 2019 01:46PM
Tom-thanks for the explanation about the different modes. Like David I'm unable to run anything less than 2 (4 on the 800) because I lose targets in my mineralized soil. When I get the video done on Monday you'll see the small targets I find using Field 2. So guess it's time for me to try Park 1 on the next hunt. Strange though because I've tested in field targets using all the Park and Field modes and Field 2 always sounded better and got deeper in my soil, even on 58 cal bullets.
July 28, 2019 02:07PM
I have always tried to run at 0 on iron bias, or as close to it as I can. My one exception is freshwater beaches where the finds are recent drops and not deep, but there is underlying iron that is deep. I will run the iron bias up there just to try and make the machine quiet, because I know there is little to zero chance of there being a good deep target there.

NASA TOM -- Thank you for that break down. I have all the Equinox books that goodmore mentioned, and your one post is better than all those books combined. All they do in the books is give speculation and theory as to what the modes are for and what they do.
July 28, 2019 02:14PM
NASA Tom, Does it matter what version the machine is running? I haven't updated my machine and am still using first version. Thanks

John
July 28, 2019 04:37PM
Tom... Would like to hear more of your insight about Recovery Speed..
I run my detector almost exactly as you explain except I rarely go below RS 4 and mostly hang out at 5.
You mention 2-3 which I have never Ventured down to for any amount of time.
What about swing speeds at these really low settings?

Sounds like I might need to push my sensitivity too.. I have been running 20-22..

Thanks!

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 04:41PM by Cabin Fever.
July 28, 2019 07:10PM
Went to a old park that most people don't hunting anymore. Wanted to try using recovery speed 2, sensitivity 25, iron bias 0 and I always run 50 tones in Beach 1. Slow swing speed. Ended up with 3 silvers and 6 wheats. All coins was 6 to 10 inches deep. All came in with a solid high tone. Lots of iron and trash in this old park. Didn't have any trouble telling the non ferrous from the ferrous. Very pleased with this setup.
July 28, 2019 08:42PM
I'm going to be fired if I infringe upon my restrictive/prohibitive NDA incarcerations! (If I have not already done so).

If you live in 3-bar dirt---or less--- (F75/T2 Fe3O4 LCD bar-graph reference)…… all of my data above ….is applicable. If you live in Medium mineralized dirt (4-bars and above)…… all bets are off. I should have stated this (above).

Andrew...…… You have 'complex' dirt..... causing your resultant. I 'could' say...… your dirt is Medium mineralization (or higher)…… and claim: "all bets are off"...…. but...… it sounds to me like you have one primary mineral.... and a few secondary minerals (more than just simply 'trace-elements' of secondary minerals).... causing you to employ other available EQX Modes (and methodology) ….. in order to ascertain reasonable performance. That's why they are there/available/employable. Does your MDT like Black Sand "ON"...… and Salt "ON" (probably: "off")…… in your dirt? Your transition break-point...…. (((where a non-ferrous target starts to toggle between Fe and Non-Fe)))...…….. does the MDT.... or EQX do better? Don't be afraid to slam the MDT or EQX. This is how I (we) technologically advance..... and is critical engineering data. NEVER be afraid to: Speak Truth!

Daniel...…. If I can impart/convey one entire book/volume: in one sentence.,.,.,. I have met my goal.

John...…… MUU-1 (Factory public-release upgrade-1) is not perfect; yet, well worth it. And the process is fairly easy …. for non-computer guys.

McCrory'sjewelry2...… I bet you'll never look back!

Bryan...…. I've been saving your question for last...… as it is the most complex...… and difficult to convey in words. Soooo..... let's try this:
In electronics..... devices that transmit frequencies...… or...... use microprocessor clock-speed timing.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., there is always a 'CENTER FREQ' or 'CENTER SPEED'...…… sometimes referred to as: 'resonance'. The pinnacle definition (in this case)…. is called: 'Electronic Quiescence'. (((Max-Q..... or...… Max-Que))). Where a device operates at 'peak performance'. Tuned at its best/maximum.
On the EQX 800 platform...… you have Target Recovery Response speed choices of 1-8. The EQX 800 platform is at Electronic Quiescence....with a TRR of '3'. It is 'maximum-tuned' at speed '3'. Any deviation above/below '3'..... and you start to get: out-of-electronic-tune. Now...…. with this EQX platform..... you can choose a Recovery Speed of '8'..... and it works/sounds great!...… but.,.,.,.,., in reality...….. you are not achieving any enhanced/greater adjacent target separation characteristics.,.,.,.,.,.,., you are merely 'clipping' the audio length. In some applications..... it may be helpful to the human ear...… as far as human audible intelligibility; yet, enhancement of adjacent target separation is not physically possible. . . . . . . . due to the following physics principle:
The large coil (11" DD) on the EQX will envelop a certain 'fixed' ElectroMagnetic (EM) footprint. This 'fixed' physics footprint cannot be altered/deviated. Laws of physics. Complete!
Now...….. it is up to the electronics..... from the 'feed' it gets from the coil...….. to 'deal' with what it is given. The electronics can not alter the EM field enveloped by the coil. It is... what it is. And: Speed '3'...… is quiescence/resonance.
Now...…………… with THAT stated: Medium (or higher) mineralization …… may work better (with less chatter) with faster speeds..... for a different (secondary) rationale of clock-speed timing attribute(s).
In less than Medium mineralization dirt...…… a setting of '3' is "CENTER"...…… yet, a setting of '2' or '4' is hardly/barely out-of-tune...… and can show tremendous performance attributes. (((As can be seen/witnessed by McCrory'sjewelry2 resultant))). Remember...…. greater depth/performance can be gained with lower TRR settings: in Medium (or lower) mineralization. Better performance can be 'realized'..... with higher TRR settings...in Medium (or higher) mineralization..... due to the ascertainment of stability/less ground-chatter/feedback.

For the record...… a TRR of 1 can present greater depths in areas with sparse targets and low mineralization. BUT...… the drawback is: the audio does indeed sound elongated/smeared...… hard on/for the human ear.
July 28, 2019 09:03PM
Tom I ask this ? on other forums why the need for speed I did this video 3 months ago [youtu.be] go to 11.40 in the video it shows a nail down the barrel and different speeds used 1 to 4 while 1 had the best audio and 2 was coming and going 3 and 4 nothing .Even thou the signal is elongated at least you hear it 1 and 2 are close but you pick speed 2 why .Settings park 1 o iron bias all the settings factory except speed and iron bias. sube

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 09:06PM by sube.
July 28, 2019 09:44PM
Finally....nice to see you sticking your neck out for us Tom giving us info not well understood.... and maybe being used to our disadvantage.
July 28, 2019 10:14PM
Tom-I love all the info and explanation concerning the Equinox. As far as the MDT vs the Equinox, in my soil the MDT liked black sand ON salt OFF and is definitely deeper than the Equinox by a good inch or so.
July 28, 2019 11:01PM
Minelab,
If you are reading here.
Need to put mineralization index meter on your future releases.
Would do wonders for the general public as far as ‘reference’ among users when discussing your great products.
And hence speed learning curve for many and speed up actual more effective use in different sites folks try and detect, even for folks who travel long distances to detect in likely more unfamiliar soil to them.

Need to use a scale that is more meaningful( useable) too as it relates to actual detector operation.

Detectorist in USA who purchase your products would certainly benefit. And this feature may indeed drive a person to purchase one of your future products.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2019 11:06PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 28, 2019 11:46PM
NASA Tom, wow! Thank you for "boiling this down" for me. I would like to share a couple of experiences I have had utilizing fast recovery speeds. I live in CT and just about everywhere I hunt is high mineralization. I'll try to keep this short...I hunted this little patch of grass (5 feet wide x 15 feet long) several dozen times and never found one old coin utilizing recovery speed 6, park1, sensitivity 20 and iron bias 2, 50 tones. Then one day I was at the end of my hunt (I have the Equinox 800) I decided to "fool around" with recovery speed of 8, park 2, sensitivity 20, Iron Bias 2, 50 tones. My first sweep through the area I found 5 wheat cents. My next sweep down through this strip I found a silver dime.

The next place I hunt is a field from the 1920's. There use to be a pole barn on the property. Not sure what else use to be there but this place is an iron nightmare. I have hunted this place very successfully with Park1, sensitivity 22, iron bias 2, recovery 6, 50 tones. Then one day my finds were thinning out. Again, I went to recovery speed 8, park2, sensitivity 22, iron bias 2, 50 tones. All of a sudden wheat cents galore were popping out of the ground and to my surprise a merc dime. In my highly mineralized soil, I feel (Like you mention) these settings are very helpful to my hearing.

I did try your recommended settings of park1, iron bias 0, sensitivity 23 and recovery 3 this evening. I recovered a 1935 wheat cent and a 1944 merc dime in an area I had pounded what seems like a billion times. Despite my high mineralization, this setup worked for me. Thanks!! Forget a setting of 1 the "elongated/smeared" affects me at a setting of 3. Awesome thread!! Thanks for posting thumbs down Jim in CT

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Now...…. with this EQX platform..... you can choose a Recovery Speed of '8'...and it works/sounds great!...… but.,.,.,.,., in reality...….. you are not achieving any enhanced/greater adjacent target separation characteristics. ,.,.,.,.,.,., you are merely 'clipping' the audio length. In some applications..... it may be helpful to the human ear...… as far as human audible intelligibility; yet, enhancement of adjacent target separation is not physically possible. . . . . . .

Better performance can be 'realized'..... with higher TRR settings...in Medium (or higher) mineralization..... due to the ascertainment of stability/less ground-chatter/feedback.

For the record...… a TRR of 1 can present greater depths in areas with sparse targets and low mineralization. BUT...… the drawback is: the audio does indeed sound elongated/smeared...… hard on/for the human ear.
July 29, 2019 12:07AM
Tom do you think there’s a reason NOT to have a salt setting that could be turned on and off....especially based on the algorithms? 3 RS like you said for salt water hunting gives me a sound much like other machines at the surfs edge.... kind of ramped up sound over black sand when the water is moving in the sand. Doesn’t do it in 4.

How similar is IB to the Sov which used an iron masking switch? Sweep speed, isnt that about the machines filters? The slower you sweep the MORE minerals or targets you tend to hear. Then its a matter of picking out those targets......and with most who are coin hunting they have trained their ears to high tones. I believe thats why a lot of gold wasnt being found. The Nox seems to have changed how hunters are listening to targets.... they seem more meticulous.... where as before they moved listening for that one tone... high and after 4 or 5 hours.... thats the only tone they heard. So has the quick recovery speed and this attitude been as much a factor as settings? Lot more gold being found by dirt hunter than ive ever seen. The Nox also seems to be working with a high gain.... all targets having the same volume.... which is best in trashy areas. But .... on say a quarter if the target volume is set on 25.... sometimes its difficult to size the targets ... a quarter and deep can lid can sound very much the same until you take that first dig. But at 23 sizing improves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2019 11:31AM by dewcon4414.
July 29, 2019 04:56AM
Greatly appreciated Tom, thanks!
Such valuable information. I have some work to do!

Bryan
July 29, 2019 12:06PM
Sube……. excellent tuitional video capture! More important than meets the eye...….so........ Do not underestimate...what you have 'video captured'.
Here is what is happening: The EQX 'sees' the non-ferrous target (the dime) in other (faster) Target Recovery Response settings. Does it report it (enough for the human ear to sense it)? = No! With a TRR of '2'...… it may be 'slightly' audibly reporting it...… yet, the human ear may///may-not: sense/hear/detect it. . . . . . . . . none-the-less; the EQX 'sees' it. Now...……….. with a TRR of '1'...…….. the EQX grabs-the-ball..... and runs with it. It then..... will (excessively) elongate the audio of the non-ferrous target...….. making it very easy for the human ear to 'process'...….. and make (intelligible) sense with it. >>>>>> BUT...…… (the kicker is): "How" does this work in the real-world? "How" does this compare to: test-garden scenario?
In a test-garden scenario...….. it gives (the false illusion) audio …… that: 'dig-me' ….is required. Nice, clean, dig-me.... high-tone audio. Zero questions...………. case closed. In a 2-Dimentional plane..... test-garden style.
In the (3-Dimentional-axis) real-world...…. with a TRR of '1' ……. in carpets of nails...…….. you will then discover: An excessive amount of non-ferrous tones (to include high-tones) falses. >>>>>>> Oversaturation. >>>>>>> Oversaturation of the detector. >>>>>>> Oversaturation of the brain. Usually....to the point of un-usability. Soooooo………. where are we? =
A TRR of '2' is SO much better.....in carpets of nails..... and usable; yet, can fatigue-out the user/operator...… possibly in short order.
A TRR of '3'..... (in 3-D///X-Y-Z coordinate-axis real-world)……… in carpets of nails...... is very audibly 'understood'.,.,.,.,.,.,. as far as the human intelligibility factor...………. to the point of nearly zero fatigue.

And THIS is EXACTLY what us physicists, scientists, C.D.E.'s, D.E's MUST be deadly careful with...…… whilst invent new product. We NEVER want: Hey! Works great in the lab! Works great on the bench! Works great in the test-garden! (((But...….. totally fails in the 3-D real world))).
As you can see; Minelab (via EQX) is one of the best examples of: IN THE REAL WORLD resultant...…. that will leave you scratching your head. In fact; 50-Tones reigns superior …… in a 3-Dimentional axis...….. in heavy target scenarios...… where human co-habitation has existed..... to the point of 3-D targets-on-top-of targets (where most good targets will be found).,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. as long as your human brain does not fatigue-out with those 50-Tones. Those 50-Tones in concert with M-IQ...... presents superior intelligibility in audibly 'busy' areas. This is ML/M-IQ strength. Let's focus on our strengths...… and expound/expand upon these strengths. I must keep these battleships in accord with their strengths.

Andrew...….. here we go! And this is going to sound contradictory. But it's not. It boils down to: Focus on our strength(s)!
Yes,.,.,.,.,.,.,., (as you have discovered/found)……. the Tarsacci is far superior to the EQX. It will correctly ID to deeper depths than the EQX. This is real-world, real-time applicable. Employable.
A couple of the neat things about the Tarsacci is: It has a Salt/Normal switch...…. just like the CZ. No big deal. (But applicable/usable/employable to us beach hunters). Yes; you can come out of the Salt Mode. You can also utilize it in dirt scenario(s)…… to your advantage!
BUT...……. the major attribute of the Tarsacci is: It has a "Weird Dirt" switch. (Labeled: Black Sand). It is EXACTLY this ONE OPTION...…. that might scare folks away from the Tarsacci.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. making them think it is a 'complex' unit to figure-out. But/When...……….. in actuality ……………… this one switch may just (finally...………. for the first time in history) give them; yet, another option...……,,,,,,,,,,,, possibly the answer (edge)… that cuts through their dirt..... and will ID targets in bad dirt....and at depths never achieved before. This one switch...…… coupled/in-concert-with; the Multi Domain Technology...……. can really give the edge in fairly bad dirt.

Here in Florida..... with near-zero mineralization...… the 50-Tones is more beneficial (to me) inland turf-hunting…….. as I primarily hunt high-traffic/co-habitation areas. If I lived in Medium mineralization (or higher) areas...…. the Tarsacci may not quite be the pinnacle high-trash hunting unit..... (almost. . . but not quite); yet, it will open doors...… and in grand fashion...…… that have never been opened up...in the history of mankind. And..... via K.I.S.S. theory...….. even though it may not give this impression...… initially. And..... it is EXACTLY THIS INITIAL IMPRESSION...… as to ""why"" I initially controlled the sales of the Tarsacci….reserved to 'skilled/experienced' hunters. Now...….. the doors are open to all.
Because of the superior depth of the Tarsacci……. I (exclusively) use it on the wet-salt beach.

Dew...…… on the EQX...…. the premise/basis of M-IQ has no need for a Salt/Normal switch...……. (if I am understanding your question correctly).

Let us advance humankind where our strengths reside.
July 29, 2019 01:48PM
Tom instead of them "firing" you---they should give you a raise. Your simplifying a complex subject,the real sign of intelligence,probably results in More sales for ML.
July 29, 2019 02:17PM
Is IB a universal setting that will react the same regardless of mode used? Does the quality of headphone and how reactive the speakers or piezos are make a difference in what might or might not be heard?
July 29, 2019 06:14PM
I've been using the settings Tom suggested (Thanks Tom for the Knowledge you share) for the last few days in Field 2. The Pre-Civil War site I'm hunting has been hit hard for the last 25 years and has a fair amount of iron trash. Some areas are carpet of nails others have only a few iron hits per sweep. This particular area I've have wandered through but never spent any time until Saturday. In the past it has turned up a few relics but mostly shotgun brass and .22 lead.

My observations in Field 2-I must ground balance, 24 is the highest sensitivity I can run, recover 2 (equal to 4 on 800) is the lowest I can go. The Equinox is much more sparky in general which at first was hard to get used to......good thing I have a 400 plus hours on it. Iron bias 0 was also hard but I can tell you it does unmask better. I did dig a few small pieces of wire that I could have sworn was going to be a good target until it was in the dirt pile. Solid 15-16 no negative numbers. But that's the trade off. Because on the other had I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have dug one of the coins in the video....you'll know which one by my comments.

The second day I took my GPX to cover the less iron infested parts to see if I missed anything with the Equinox. Didn't miss much, a p-cap and some lead were the only things. On the Equinox, armed with new information from Tom I compared all the signals I got in both Field 2 and Park 1. My observations Park 1 in my soil. Park 1 groups the numbers tighter on a target. Example Field 2 might read between 13-16 where Park 1 will narrow it right down to 16-17. Park 1 also appears to up average the numbers. On several occasions (items turned out to be modern rifle slugs) Park 1 in both tone and VDI was higher. Now on one target I located with the GPX, which turned out to be a .22 slug about 7 inches deep. Field 2 registered all negative numbers but you could tell something was there, Park 1 nothing not even a blip.

In the last part of my video I have one target that turned out to be good that was compared with both Field 2 and Park 1 with lots of iron next to the target. I can see where Park 1 would be good on a virgin site, but on my sites where only small things are left I think Field 2 has the advantage.

enjoy the video I'll post in main forum as well YouTube
July 29, 2019 09:30PM
Tom D. I have one question for you. Based on everything you have shared with us me being a coin hunter with my goal being to find silver between Park 1 and Beach 1 which would be the best program to use and why? Neil Jones likes Beach 1. Is there any advantage to using Beach 1 over Park 1? Thanks
July 30, 2019 01:12AM
Jim...…. yes …… your Conn dirt is stunting your performance; hence, 'why' you are seeing a bit more fluctuation in your performance end-resultant. But..... it does look like you are using the data to your advantage..... and opening up some doors.

Dew...…. yes. Iron Bias presents about the same performance resultant..... with each Mode. It is not like..... there is some form of magic.,., or secret performance enhancement in one particular secret Mode...… by utilizing a certain Iron Bias ...in that specific Mode. ((( I'm over-emphasizing ….. so as to 'drive a point: home' ))).
Headphones can/do make a fair amount delta/difference of what you can hear; yet, …….. once again...….. a great pair of headphones will not generate a audio that is simply NOT there. It'll only enhance existing audio text.

Andrew. STUNNING!!! CONGRAT'S!!!!!!! I bet that's the best $1.03 you ever brought home! And the relics are always stunning. Yes...… it does look like Park Mode-1 gave you better positive 'resolve' on that one specific fairly deep target..... in/amongst nails. Looks like your site is about a 1857/1858 site. Congrat's AGAIN on that Type-1..... that was textbook/perfectly bouncing between 11 and 12….as it should!!!! ((( Type 2 & 3 U.S. $1.00 gold coins will -textbook- ID as a solid '11'. )))

McCJ2...… Beach Mode-1 utilizes the lowest (group of) frequencies; subsequently, is more 'resonant' to silver coins. BUT...… you MUST do a head-to-head comparison on your deepest/most-difficult silver coin(s)/targets...… to see/witness something that may be unsuspecting. Park Mode-1 is almost (but not quite) exactly as deep on silver coins..... as compared to Beach Mode-1; yet, Beach Mode-1 may have 'issues' with specific mineralization, moisture content, EMI, ground-chatter.....etc. >>>>>>> For about 20-months.... I have been comparing (head-to-head) PM-1 to BM-1. What I have discovered is: Beach Mode-1 with Sens '23'..... is slightly deeper than Park Mode-1 with same Sens of '23'. >>>>>>> Apples-to-apples? Head-to-head fairness? NO! …… even though it theologically/theoretically sounds flawless. The unsuspecting caveat is: Park Mode-1 has allowed me to run Sens on '24'..... and sometimes '25'....... more than 95% of the time...... whereby; Beach Mode-1 will only allow a max stable Sens setting of '23' to be employed. Sooooooooooooo………… Park Mode-1 has nearly continuously been the trump-card..... almost all of the time. ((( Sens 23 and 24 and 25 were used as an example...……..as...………. most of the time...……. I'm lucky if I can go into the low 20's with Sensitivity. )))

Akin/Relative to this exacting topic: The EQX is a bit deeper than a CZ (with equiv 10.5" coil)…… so I choose the EQX. BUT...… there have been plenty of times whereby...the EQX was severely crippled by EMI. Sooooooo…….. I had to revert to the VERY stable (EMI resistant) CZ platform..... that is terrible at unmasking, , , , terrible in carpets of nails, , , , and....at best.... presents so-so adjacent target separation characteristics. BUT...…. the CZ was able to present more-than-double the depth performance over the EQX..... simply due to EQX EMI crippling shutdown. ((( It's not a perfect World out there. )))

I shared some of this data.... somewhere on this forum.... probably over a year ago; so...…. it may be hard to find.
July 30, 2019 03:51PM
Tom D. I forgot to ask. When running Park 1 as you have recommended should one ground balance? I know Beach 1 is set on 0. Is there any other adjustment I should make to Park 1? Thanks
July 30, 2019 04:59PM
All the modes have recommended settings and Beach 1 is set on 0 GB, but it doesnt have to be...... the settings (except for salt) can be adjusted to your conditions. A good many of us run 0 GB on the beach because it may not GB....... or if it does its grabbing the first no. it can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2019 05:01PM by dewcon4414.
July 30, 2019 06:04PM
Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom D. I forgot to ask. When running Park 1 as you
> have recommended should one ground balance? I know
> Beach 1 is set on 0. Is there any other adjustment
> I should make to Park 1? Thanks

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
July 30, 2019 08:50PM
I alway's run it on zero iron bias..Park 1 ..50 tones in the heavy trash recovery 4..in the open Gold field 1.

I like the goldfield in iron too but it is harder to learn over 50 tones as it takes patience but does seem to unmask a tad better.Alot to do with the higher freqs in use maybe?.

I like the EQ on certain items like around nickle to double pulltab it can be amazing in iron seeing those conductor items..I wish the EQ was Hyper!!!smiling smiley like a Deus or T2 Racer etc style.I've awlays wanted a hyper gain multi freq!

I find it to be deeper than the Explorer on Minnie balls in prospecting mode with pretty good idea its not iron past a foot.Thats saying alot !

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 31, 2019 02:41PM
Tom-I went out last night for about 2 hours and tried running Park 1 for the most part. EMI starts getting me at 23 sensitivity, there's an airport about 15 miles away but the planes flying over must be the issue. My GPX always has trouble too, I'm constantly changing channels.

I've noticed for the most part at 23 the Equinox is pretty quit running all of your suggested settings, ID's iron better, groups numbers closer and up averages both the tone and VDI on most targets. Not sure I lake the up average thing as I've got used to Field 2 numbers.

My question is when I run any other mode I get a constant -8 -9 chatter in AM, at high sensitivity anything above 22. This doesn't happen in Park 1 at all and Field 1 not as bad. But I can run the sensitivity up to 24 in any other mode before EMI starts to be an issue. I'm wondering if the -8 -9 chatter is my ground, it reminds me of the Deus when I run the disc at -6.4 but Deus chatter is a lot easier on the ear.

In the past when I tried running high sensitivity I would just notch out -8 and -9 so I wouldn't go insane. GB doesn't help and my ground balances anywhere from 25-70. What are your thoughts. Anybody else have this same issue.
July 31, 2019 03:00PM
I can't run mine up past 20 most of the time without having almost constant -9 through -6 or -7. So I'm never sure if I'm overshadowing good signals with ground noise so I run lower sensitivity sometimes down to 15 before it calms down. Not sure if this is the best way to handle it though may should try notching the numbers out and crank it higher?
July 31, 2019 05:49PM
If you adjust the volume for the first Tone Range extremely low it should be easier on the ear.
The lowest numbers are ground noise for the most part.. Make sure you stay on top of your ground balance.

Bryan