Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's the best (modern) detector/coil combo for working old camps full of rusted/busted tin cans?

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Title says/asks it all.-----Broken pieces of tin of all sizes.
I don’t know best.
One detector though useable in such sites- Anfibio Multi.
Why?
Overload feature will tell user where not to be detecting. Hence they can concentrate on areas that are deemed detectable due to there not being bigger objects, both nonferrous and ferrous.
So yes even in a site with aluminum cans Anfibio Multi can be your friend.

I have witnessed this first hand in one site in particular. Old house used by deer hunters.

Can say real quick Deus not a good candidate based on your description of site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2019 06:44PM by tnsharpshooter.
In a situation like what you have mentioned,when i detect on some really trash roman sites then still my all time favourite combination is a my T2 and the 5'' coil,you can still get some amazing depth with that combination and target separation is outstanding.Surprisingly enough i also run it in AM mode as well,but for extreme roman hob nails that can litter the ground then i can sometimes knock it back into the discrimination mode.
I liked the Tesoro Golden MicroMax in the old mining sites. The rolling audio tone id worked pretty good in large and flat iron. My wife and I hunted them for a little while. I had an Xterra there, she has the Tesoro Golden. I soon quit in disgust and just dug for her. At least she wasn't digging flatten oil cans and big ass bolts like I was.

Yeah...the Golden was pretty good in those places. Still have to figure out how to get them out of the way though if you get into a windblown patch of them all covered in blown sand.

I find it easier to hunt gold jewelry than tin can patches. HA!

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2019 08:20PM by Mike Hillis.
Del I like the Omega with stock concentric coil for tin sites.The low freq and the Elliptical concentric helps to flatten the tin sounds out.Plus the machine is able to be hyper and unmask well in between the ton and iron etc.

Tesoros with concentrics like on 10Khz also work well..the Eurosabre is my favorite Tesoro for tin sites..the iron audio on the unit does not get fooled much by tin.

Sovereigns are great in tin but can miss lower stuff but still pop high stuff!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Del, I like my Omega for the tin spots. too HH jim tn
Thanks for the responses guys.-----Keith (or anyone)---How about the ORX with the 9" X-35 coil running at 4 kHz?-----Would that be good in this situation (busted tin)--or would the mentioned detectors/coils outperform it?-----Forgot to mention---the ground I am working is pretty highly mineralized.----I should have mentioned that---sorry.---------Del
I myself dont know about the ORX Del.

BUT a DD does struggle on tin in general across any platform usually.no matter the freq.it just gets bound up and confused by it.

But a concentric on a lower freq Vs say a higher freq Like 19khz with a Concentric the leverage still usually goes to the Lower freq on busted tin..bottle caps can be easier on a high freq with a concentric but busted tin is just way tough and every advantage helps.I have found.

You can get a say anfibio multi with a 7 concentric or impact or multi kruzer and use the lower freq with that coil as an option if you already have one.Yet to me the Omega feels better as the DNA of the unit is built off that freq. and it feels pure..manipulated freq units I find seem to work better on higher freqs Vs there lower freqs in terms of finds produced.

In other words most hyper units that you readjust a freq to lowest freq dont seem like they flow True..they are amped up and fast and hyper but the lower freq doesn't seem to adhere to it cleanly..BUT a Omega is on the core low freq then the machine is built to attain hyperness off it.

Too bad a Deus does not build a Concentric coil JUST TO SEE what it could be tweeked to do for certain needed scenarios..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Opps sorry, bump

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2019 03:23AM by Aaron.
Alter 71 with cc coil, choose your freq between 4-18khz, you can climb the freqs in small increments to fine tune it to situation.
I would flee the scene of the crime.
texkinzee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would flee the scene of the crime.

Can't do that Tex--too man good targets in there.-------The ORX with the 9" X35 coil running on 3.7 kHz seems to do pretty good (I.D.) in this situation.
Del the Hf 9x5 coil is much better than the 9" round coils. Very easy to tell the rusted tin. 9 round is good but the 9x5 is much much better.
Kickindirt Wrote:
> Del the Hf 9x5 coil is much better than the 9" rou
> nd coils. Very easy to tell the rusted tin. 9 roun
> d is good but the 9x5 is much much better.

What's your settings on the ORX using that coil Joel (in the busted tin)?
I agree, Anfibio Multi--brilliant in the iron--especially with the smaller coils.
cjc
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Kickindirt Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Del the Hf 9x5 coil is much better than the 9" r
> ou
> > nd coils. Very easy to tell the rusted tin. 9 ro
> un
> > d is good but the 9x5 is much much better.
>
>
> What's your settings on the ORX using that coil Jo
> el (in the busted tin)?

Disc 9
Sense 90-93
I like iron audio off
Reactivity 2.5 or 3
All depends on how much other trash is around. If running reactivity 3 digging below the nickel range will get you some deeper keepers. As running reactivity 3 it's not the deepest coil but will still let you know stuff is there. I've experienced some deeper stuff coming up below the nickle range cause lack of depth so just keep that in mind. The busted rusted tin junk normally gives you that long drawn out tone compared to the short and steady sound of a coin. Good luck buddy look forward to seeing some good finds.
I’m swaying towards Deus with HF coil, using high kHz. That was an eye opener, haven’t seen anything beat a Deus with HF coil since.

Paul
Paul, I haven’t been following closely enough but how does the ORX play in that scenario?

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
Hello Rick,

I haven’t ran the ORX, but I would imagine both be equally good using higher frequency. I’m running both 5” x 9.5” elliptical and 9” round HF coils, they are amazing in thick iron using higher frequency. Haven’t really detected much due to knee issues, but soon I’ll be out there.

Take care Rick!
Paul