Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nox is toast...

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nox is toast...
August 02, 2019 12:57AM
Leaked today...
Re: Nox is toast...
August 02, 2019 01:21AM
That worries me taking mine in the water.
August 02, 2019 01:39AM
Calabash,
How was your detector configured on the waterhunt?
Was headphone jack plug on and screwed in?

Were you using waterproof headphones?
August 02, 2019 01:51AM
I was using water proof headphones... screwed in.
August 02, 2019 02:00AM
Minelab will cover it.
August 02, 2019 02:32AM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was using water proof headphones... screwed in.

Thanks..

Get that jewel fixed.
August 02, 2019 04:10AM
I actually expect it every time I take mine in the water. I figure every time I do it and get away with it, that I increase my chances of it happening next time. Kinda like Russian Roulette. I like the Nox for a lot of things but build quality is not one of them.
August 02, 2019 11:00AM
Seems to be more of the first batch issue. Mines been underwater as much as anyone’s I’d dare say. Broken coil and cuff has been my issues.....BUT...ML stepped up and had those back to me as fast as that brown truck could get it to me.
August 02, 2019 11:02AM
This machine was a first batch one.
OBN
August 02, 2019 02:49PM
Sorry to see but I do know Minelab will replace it with a New one. The have first class repairs and warranty work from the Detector Center in PA. Which is owned and operated By Keith Leppert.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
August 02, 2019 03:20PM
How many “first batch” units were produced and shipped to the US? At what serial number did the “first batch” end and the “second batch” begin.

Unless Minelab has released this information, nobody knows it i reckon.

Likewise the theory touted on another forum about it being a process error with “heat sealing” the control box is just that - a theory - unless Minelab has determined that to be a fact and in turn released the information. Even the actual method and materials used to seal the control box are closely guarded proprietary information and again - unless released by ML - are unknown to any of us.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 03:23PM by lytle78.
August 02, 2019 03:23PM
Well when I say first batch I mean I got one from the first shipment . Where they switched to second batch I have no idea.....Garrett had leak problems with the AT PRO didnt they??? Seems like they got the bugs worked out of it...
August 02, 2019 04:08PM
Mr. C. I wasn’t bashing you, I figured that you meant that it was a year old or so - presumably from the first shipment.

It’s just that some “forum facts” tend to emerge from discussions here and elsewhere. These “forum facts” tend to be attempts to sort out things which are unclear. The problem is when speculation - even plausible speculation - starts to get accepted as a fact. The metal detector business has a long history of not disclosing problems and none of the manufacturers have a particularly great record in this.

Rick Kempf
August 02, 2019 04:30PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Well when I say first batch I mean I got one from the first shipment . Where they switched to second batch I have no idea.....
> Garrett had leak problems with the AT PRO didnt they??? Seems like they got the bugs worked out of it...

As did the MX Sport, CTX and I believe some of the Fisher water machines (CZ20/21)were prone to leakage.....
August 02, 2019 04:37PM
Yeah I asked do they just replace the head this morning because it is sealed and the lady told me she could not confirm that.....confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2019 04:38PM by calabash digger.
August 02, 2019 04:45PM
It is pretty well settled that the control head itself is glued shut and cannot be disassembled without destroying it.

Here’s some stuff from the biggest testing company in the area of leak detection of electronic devices.

This shows the two-step test. A container with the device in it is pressurized to a given level. If that pressure decreases, i means the air has leaked into the device (the interior of the device is at ambient pressure to begin with - a pressure lower that the level the chamber is pressurized to.

pic upload

upload photo to internet for link

[www.cincinnati-test.com]

Rick Kempf
August 02, 2019 04:50PM
Every one with leakage issues that I've heard of has had the control box replaced.
August 02, 2019 06:54PM
Um.
Some folks may have Nox units and really primarily hunt on dry land. Might be a good idea to give your Nox unit head a good 2 hours dunk in the drink, before your warranty expires. See if it survives.
August 02, 2019 09:55PM
Your right TN...
August 02, 2019 11:17PM
I'm STILL wondering what the cost will be to replace the control housing AFTER the warranty has expired. Also how much will it cost to replace the battery? I really like my Nox 600.

tabman
August 02, 2019 11:50PM
Q:"Also how much will it cost to replace the battery?"
26650 size Lithium cells are under 10 US dollars. How much they will cost when fitted with the appropriate little plug on a short cable is an unknown. If you're handy with a soldering iron, it's likely you could transfer the connector over.
August 03, 2019 01:41AM
tabman Wrote:
> I'm STILL wondering what the cost will be to repla
> ce the control housing AFTER the warranty has expi
> red. Also how much will it cost to replace the bat
> tery? I really like my Nox 600.
>
> tabman

Sell off the coil and rod and get a new one. You will probably come out ahead vs just buying a new control housing.
August 03, 2019 11:30AM
Some have suggested selling the Nox with a year warranty on it for the best price....then just buy a new one.
August 03, 2019 05:40PM
What is the warranty period? 2 yrs?
August 04, 2019 12:43AM
I was talking about this with a guy on youtube.
My theory is the detector is hot and when entering the water and cooling so quickly it sucks in water.
I had mine (first batch) under the water more times then I can remember and no leaks but I am up north.
It would be interesting to find out why it is happening.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2019 12:47AM by GreenMeanie.
August 04, 2019 01:52AM
The Nox has a three year warranty.
August 04, 2019 12:52PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Seems to be more of the first batch issue. Mines
> been underwater as much as anyone’s I’d dare say.
> Broken coil and cuff has been my issues.....BUT...
> ML stepped up and had those back to me as fast as
> that brown truck could get it to me.

Hello dewcon - Did you have to send your old parts back to Minelab first, prior
to them replacing them or just proof of warranty and photos of the problems?

Sorry to go off track to the post but kind of wanted to know how Minelab conduct
their Customer Support - tia Keith

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
August 05, 2019 03:58PM
"Some have suggested selling the Nox with a year warranty on it for the best price....then just buy a new one.".

I expect that to be the trend.

HH
Mike
August 05, 2019 10:09PM
Parts had to go back....but they shipped mine like the next day. You know some did have screens going out early one ...could well have been heat. My MDT used 5000 lith batteries...maybe a swap out.
August 05, 2019 10:52PM
Glued together low volume case with a big screen - powerful battery - bright sunlight and high ambient temperatures - plunged into much cooler water...what could possibly go wrong?

Rick Kempf