Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone know what this coin is?

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone know what this coin is?
August 09, 2019 12:40PM
I did a few days on the other side of the island little North of Tom. Happen to be going thru the coins i found there and found this old crusty. I thought at first penny..... but it had odd sides, a thick crust, and didnt appear to be a Zin crusty. Got it partially cleaned and thought king Charles I, but once i did some electrolysis clearly it isnt. I know a few guys have coin encyclopedias....... any idea?

Dew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2019 12:44PM by dewcon4414.
Re: Anyone know what this coin is?
August 09, 2019 07:33PM
Congratulations Dew...

That's an old one going by the [ look ] [shape ] [ style ] of it.

Guessing 'Dutch' possibly from the 18th Century - 1720 to 1780 perhaps? It "could be" a more modern Token but I'm feeling 'coin'
"East India Company"...?????

Have found lots of 'similar look-alike' coins out of rivers especially 'old harbor ports', my neck of the woods...

Well done...could be your oldest coin find???

Des D
August 09, 2019 10:17PM
Thanks Des. It was wayyyy down there. The MDT seemed to really like the sand over on that side of the island. I got very little but what I did get was VERY deep.
August 09, 2019 11:23PM
Sorry I'm late to see this one. And a bit surprised that you haven't had an ID yet, the clues are there - deep on a Florida beach. It's "Pirate treasure", a Spanish cob, of Ferdinand and Isabella. That's an F below the crown. On the "V" side, it appears to read (edited) REX ET REGINA ( from 12 o'clock ). So it dates from the late 1400's, roughly. I'll have a look for an accurate match for you.
Update: there's some pretty similar ones her:
[www.ancientresource.com]
This one has the right inscriptions, I think-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2019 04:31PM by Pimento.
August 10, 2019 12:05AM
Looks like an early hammered Jeton to me
August 10, 2019 12:27AM
I did in fact look at those....perhaps I was trying to find the exact coin. Came off of St Augustine beach. So I suspect it could be that old. I was expecting around the 1600s. Thanks for taking the time to do a little research for me. I was thinking pirate coin perhaps.
August 10, 2019 12:32AM
It just looks old, WoW! Dew.
August 10, 2019 01:20AM
Like you said Pimento...... it appears to be Spanish... Ferdinand II..... pretty close to the first one in the second row based on the crown. Never found an exact match.