Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Haven't Been Out

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Haven't Been Out
August 19, 2019 05:59PM
....for quite some time, too many projects....10'x20' blueberry enclosure to keep out the squirrels and birds from chowing down... and I took it upon my self to hook up to public sewer. Just finished that project, 190 feet of sdr 26 pipe and fittings, clean-outs, all permitted and passed....and guess what? it works...no more septic tank and drain fields to deal with.

Anyway, I was driving home last week and I noticed one of my old permissions had a conveyor belt rising out from his basement, my heart went pitter patter. This stone house was built in 1776, so you can imagine the rush. I made a mental note and when I got home I put it in my phone calendar to stop buy on Monday, which is today.

Arrived before noon and sure enough the owner was hand digging the basement deeper so they could at least stand up in it when finished. He has been working on this old house for years and doing quite a nice job even for a school teacher eye popping smiley. Years ago I recovered his platinum wedding band and he was ever so grateful. We got to taking and he said make yourself at home, detect the pile of basement dirt all you want. Good deal I said and I got my 1021 cz out of the truck and went at it.

Nothing in the upper pile so I asked him if I could wander about the yard. I have been over this property years ago with an f-75, Explorer SE pro, and an E-trac. Put on the 8" coil on the CZ and about 10 minutes and 20 feet from the pile in the lawn I got a sweet all around high tone with the needle pegged,... there goes my heart again....pitter patter, pitter patter.

Dug a plug and pulled out a large cent size coin. Washed it off and there she was,..Miss Liberty, a draped bust, ain't she pretty. I was able to read an 18 from the date. They were minted from 1796 to 1807 so of course it was no older than that. I went to the hard digging homeowner and yelled down "Nate! Take a break, I have to show you something". I was prepared with a picture of a bust cent on my phone. He climbed up out of the basement. We compared the pic with the old corroded coin so he could make it more real. People who don't do this have no idea about old coinage or how big the pennies were back then. Anyway, I said Keep it Nate....that's when he lit up with excitement and started asking a lot of questions.

It was worth it to give him this coin, just to watch his excitement, it was his anyway. I should have taken a pic of the coin...maybe if I get back there.

I may have to borrow my buddies ML EQ to run over this property to see if it will stomp my outdated, old fashioned, primitive, ancient, antiquated, obsolete musty, pos CZ. That ones for you ole calabash, smileys with beer. I hope it does, be honest with ya.....then I'll sell all of them...except for the 1021 CZ3d that detects a dime at 12.2"...that ones for you Harrold. smileys with beer
Re: Haven't Been Out
August 19, 2019 06:52PM
The Detector or the story? Ha!
I am shocked such a outdated
'Grumpy Old Man' Detector could make such a good find?
I am sure when You go back with the mighty Nox coins will pop outta' the ground. Double Ha! Seriously though nice find as yet to find a Bust coin of any type and Draped are My fave.
August 19, 2019 10:34PM
Great story!
Thanks for sharing

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
August 19, 2019 10:42PM
Neat old find and great gesture ozzie. thumbs down HH jim tn
August 20, 2019 09:30AM
If you had been using a Equinox you probably would have found two or three more......smoking smiley congrats on the coin found by the dinosaur detector....thumbs down
August 20, 2019 05:29PM
That dinosaur is a T REX if it can hit a coin beyond 12 inches. Nice find thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2019 02:47AM by coinspader.
OBN
August 21, 2019 02:45AM
Draped bust, what a beautiful coin! Nice that you gave it to the home owner. A good investment for future hunts and I'm sure he will share it with many...smileys with beer

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
August 21, 2019 11:04AM
Thanks, gentlemen.

The homeowner has permission to dump the basement dirt back in the woods of a judges old property next door to him, huge old farm. Hope he spread it out. He's going to ask if I can hunt it....at least the dump site.....we'll see.

The homeowner also cut out the floor joists of his old house. They were hand hewn red oak logs 243 years old and in great shape, hand tool marks, no rot. I asked him what he was going to with them, he said' give them away'. I got one to make a mantel over my wood burning stove, sweet.
August 28, 2019 08:17PM
Good job Ozzie redirecting the septic to city hookups, that’s a lot of work. Been there done that, it’ll pay for itself in time.

And outstanding find, draped bust. Giving it to the owner was the right thing to do, my hats off to you sir.

Outstanding!
Paul
August 29, 2019 09:27AM
Thanks for the pat on the back Paul !! Appreciate it.