Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Another floooded Nox...

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Another floooded Nox...
August 27, 2019 11:18AM
My buddies kid went water hunting with me. His 600 flooded within 15 minutes....
Re: Another floooded Nox...
August 27, 2019 12:13PM
A friend of mine also had water ingress while he was on holiday in Croatia only just a few weeks back,he did have a backup i think it was a SeaHunter which saved the day.....when he arrived back in the UK the control box was replaced for a brand new one within days,this current one is waterproof as its had the cold water bath 24hr test and it did pass,but to be on the safe side he has had too buy another backup Equinox so while he is out in Croatia again in a few weeks time if one fails he still has a backup one.

Lucky mine never goes for a swim as i live to far inland so not really worried about it,still a design flaw in the control box for sure.
August 27, 2019 12:40PM
So a 800 dollar detector really is 1600... lol
August 27, 2019 12:51PM
I don't do water hunting as yet, is there any chance that some of the waterlogged machines popping up is because of novice water hunters not tightening bits and Bob's correctly?
August 27, 2019 01:14PM
No “bits and bobs” to tighten - it’s a glued-together sealed unit full of a big battery and heat producing electronics - hot sun - hot detector - cooler/cold water - a recipe for leaks.

Minelab has apparently been outsourcing their mechanical design for some time now and apparently it has bitten them on the bum yet again.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
August 27, 2019 02:51PM
Another flooded Nox on FMDF.
OBN
August 27, 2019 03:01PM
Sorry to hear, I guest the good is the 3 year warranty..... Sad is............ once that warranty is over...one is up the creek without a paddle.

Same goes for the Sovereign/Excalibur coil cables. Helping a friend out just recently replacing his coil on his excalibur, He sent me 3 coils, 2 were new...all three cracked/peeling cables..plus the one I was replacing.

Hard to believe this cable issue has gone unresolved for several years now.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
August 27, 2019 03:04PM
Me and Cliff has had ours under water a LOT....his got water behind the screen mines been fine. Rick I don’t think they are glued...I believe it’s heat sealed.
August 27, 2019 05:21PM
Heat sealed is no doubt right - i.e. ‘welded” in ordinary English - fused with heat.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
August 27, 2019 07:46PM
Maybe a little silicone grease on all handle/shaft contact points?
August 27, 2019 08:39PM
Let mine sit at the bottom of the shallow end of the pool after siting in the sun for half an hour. No leaks. Just lucky I guess
August 27, 2019 11:08PM
No leaks on my new one...yet
August 27, 2019 11:31PM
My 800 Nox lives in the salt water. No problems yet.
August 28, 2019 02:47AM
I wonder sometimes if the manufacturers jumped the gun on the waterproof stuff and should have possibly classified them differently. Not just Minelab but all of them. Maybe should have classified them with a lower IP number and said they were splash or spray proof instead of ready to be submerged for extended periods of time. Looks like in the case of the Equinox it's hit or miss. But its only been out a year and a half too. More might start to fail as time goes on. It's a moot point for those who will never go in the water though. I always felt like each time I put my control box under water that I was running a high risk. But I feel that way with the CTX 3030 too.

A local YouTube detectorist that hunts Civil War relics in water all summer and fall goes through about 5 to 6 repairs a season on his Garretts. His last video had 2 of their AT Pro machines die on the same hunt. He says the other water machines don't give him sizing ability...i.e. the audio signal is not proportional to the size of the object. He says the AT series is best for sizing iron and such so that he can dig artillery shells in the water. He hates the design and quality of the machine and goes through the trouble of flooding machines all the time. It's either his detector or pinpointer that is dead on every other video lol
August 28, 2019 03:14PM
Daniel..... we have access to every bit of info now days too. Let a hand full of units out of thousands sold have an issue and it tends to seem the sky is falling. This thing has one heck of a warranty that ML has stood behind. I’ve not had a WATER machine yet that I’ve not had warranty work done. Not because I don’t take care of my equipment but because I use it a lot in extreme conditions. It could of had that Xcal warranty of just a year. I’m not expecting a machine to last forever. Even with those issues being constantly brought up.... this is a machine worth the purchase.