Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Equinox Ghost Town Video smileys with beer

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New Equinox Ghost Town Video smileys with beer
September 09, 2019 03:48AM
Been a while since I put together a video, but over Labor Day weekend I worked a ghost town putting the Equinox 800 to the test and it didn't disappoint!

[youtu.be]

HH,
Cal

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2019 03:49AM by Cal_cobra.
Re: New Equinox Ghost Town Video smileys with beer
September 09, 2019 08:19AM
Must be a fantastic experience! Even the term, "Ghost Town" gets me going...nice finds...well saved!

(Pardon for asking but Re: wind noise: are you recording on a camcorder, camera or phone?) If a camera / camcorder you might still be able to find / buy a 'gust buster' windjammer that goes across 'integral microphones' and fastens to the camera body by eleasicated fasteners - this can completely banish all wind noise - they are hard to find nowadays as not being manufactured anymore, but as always, look on flea bay?
September 09, 2019 12:13PM
Nice! I thought you could only hunt a ghost town with a Tesoro wearing a concentric coil...loleye popping smiley
September 09, 2019 12:14PM
Cobra, thanx for taking us along. Good narration that brings the viewer along for the challenges, the terrain beauty and history, etc.... And yes: That area has been md'd ad-naseum for 40+ yrs., right ?. One of those places where ....... for "skill/competition sake": Another barber or wheatie is a badge of skill :/

And good job showing various mere age-indicators, as opposed to videos which show only the coins-dug.

The only thing that would be good to add, is a bit of live hunting. That led to the various signals. Ie.: Instead of just turning the camera on after you already have the hole dug, but : Ie.: A go-pro set up where you capture the actual isolating of the signal in the first place . Granted: One of the signals was filmed before you broke it open. But the rest of the clips were after the hole was already open.

If you fashioned your apple-smart-phone video on to a ball-cap, or got a go-pro to attach to your cap, then you could just cut and select the footage you want at the end. So that the viewer has a "lead-in" to what drew you to the signal . Versus the other surrounding signals/terrain, in the first place.
OBN
September 09, 2019 02:17PM
Great research, and some real interesting treasures! Thanks for sharing!

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
September 09, 2019 03:50PM
Des D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Must be a fantastic experience! Even the term, "Ghost Town" gets me going...nice finds...well saved!

Always love detecting Ghost Towns, they invoke the imagination thumbs down

>
> (Pardon for asking but Re: wind noise: are you recording on a camcorder, camera or phone?) If a camera / camcorder you might still be able to find / buy a 'gust buster' windjammer that goes across 'integral microphones' and fastens to the camera body by eleasicated fasteners - this can completely banish all wind noise - they are hard to find nowadays as not being manufactured anymore, but as always, look on flea bay?

I use my iPhone. It does a good job, but has built-in mics. I suppose if someone wanted to get it to the next level they could get a blue-tooth mic with a wind cover or something to that effect, but then it's another thing to charge/manage/point of failure. I'll look into it though, it's a good point.
September 09, 2019 03:52PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Nice! I thought you could only hunt a ghost town with a Tesoro wearing a concentric coil...loleye popping smiley

Believe me this ghost town has been pounded by Tesoro's and every other detector that you can imagine old and new since the 1960's .

I'm just the clean up crew, finding what all others have left behind thumbs down
September 09, 2019 03:58PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cobra, thanx for taking us along. Good narration that brings the viewer along for the challenges, the terrain beauty and history, etc.... And yes: That area has been md'd ad-naseum for 40+ yrs., right ?. One of those places where ....... for "skill/competition sake": Another barber or wheatie is a badge of skill :/

It's been a popular place to detect since the 1960's, with large groups gathering there on Memorial Day weekend and smaller groups on Labor Day weekend. Everything from gold coins to seateds have been dug there and tons of cool relics, but it's still a fun place to detect, although it's not uncommon to get skunked these days.

>
> And good job showing various mere age-indicators, as opposed to videos which show only the coins-dug
> .
Thank you.
>
> The only thing that would be good to add, is a bit of live hunting. That led to the various signals. Ie.: Instead of just turning the camera on after you already have the hole dug, but : Ie.: A go-pro set up where you capture the actual isolating of the signal in the first place . Granted: One of the signals was filmed before you broke it open. But the rest of the clips were after[ /i] the hole was already open.>
> If you fashioned your apple-smart-phone video on to a ball-cap, or got a go-pro to attach to your cap, then you could just cut and select the footage you want at the end. So that the viewer has a "lead-in" to what drew you to the signal . Versus the other surrounding signals/terrain, in the first place.

Problem with what your suggesting is now it becomes work, we've discussed this before. Shooting the day live creates tons of video, drains your phone battery, and produces huge files to pick through and edit. If this was my day job, no problem, but when it becomes too much work and I have tons of other (higher priority) stuff on my plate, it's no longer fun, so this is my happy medium thumbs down
September 09, 2019 03:59PM
OBN Wrote:
> Great research, and some real interesting treasures! Thanks for sharing!

Not my best hunt there, but it was fun to put the Equinox to the test there. Thanks for watching thumbs down
September 09, 2019 04:45PM
And that's not all that was found at that ghost town with the Nox 800 when he was there but I don't do videos. My Nox 800 found a 1911 Barber dime, 1901 One Franc, T&G RR seal, Pocket watch and burned Mercury dime. Good time Brian! I'm heading back week after next.smileys with beer
PS Thanks for the video! Wish I was more Tech savvy, but I'm ooooold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2019 04:47PM by Tom Slick.
September 09, 2019 05:21PM
Great hunt and video in some very difficult conditions. I like the narrations, sounds like me when those nice sounds end up being other than what is expected.

thumbs down

El
September 09, 2019 06:53PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> ..... it become
> s work, we've discussed this before. Shooting the
> day live creates tons of video, drains your phone
> battery, and produces huge files to pick through a
> nd edit. If this was my day job, no problem, but
> when it becomes too much work and I have tons of o
> ther (higher priority) stuff on my plate, it's no
> longer fun, so this is my happy medium thumbs down

Huh ?? But it's your God-given duty to entertain us ! grinning smiley

But seriously now : Yes it drains the batteries of either a phone or go-pro, to have continually on. I suppose the larger go-pros might have more battery life. But the small "cube" one I got (that has no built-in screen, and has to be blue-toothed to a phone, or plugged in to 'puter to view), has only about ~1.5 hrs. of on-board battery life. So I got a battery stick, and black-taped it to the ball-cap. Now I can get many many hours.

As for the time-to edit down and select segments : I've toyed with turning mine on and off, whenever I get over some targets that I want to capture. So for example, I turn on my camera, then back up a few steps, and repeat the action as to exactly how the approach is, the surrounding signals, etc..... That's no-more difficult than stopping to turn on your apple phone, for instance. Nor would editing out segments of clips be too difficult, if you had continuous filming.

But yes, it's awkward to have this thingy on the bill-clip of your hat, that you have to be constantly aware of (getting bumped out of correct aim, etc....). Anyhow, I know it adds more work, but it's the only thing I can think of that would add to your videos. You kind of tried to do it, after all, on that one object. And it was apparent that you were trying to aim the camera with one hand, and dig with the other. All I'm saying is that a mounted camera, for something like that, would achieve that objective.
September 10, 2019 12:29AM
" Go-Pro Stop recording"
September 10, 2019 03:02AM
Nice finds Brian,

Even if you didn’t find anything, the terrain itself well worth the trip.

Congratulations!
Paul