Beginners luck, Friend finds his first seated coin.
September 17, 2019 03:17AM
Invited a local friend to a new site, he recently switched to the Equniox and today was his first seated coin find.

He did pretty good, first the powder flask top surfaces. Then the pistol ball, then the seated 1863 S seated half springs out. All within the first hour, boy was he a happy detectorist.

His settings were still at beginner settings, I made some setting changes but with the tough soil and abundance of iron he struggled with these settings. Made another setting change not so aggressive and increase recovery speed. From here, he took off doing well for his first Equniox Relic hunt.

Hes definitely going back with me next week, place is only a six mile drive from our hometown. Property owner allows me to detect here, this new site surfaced recently.

I don’t know who was happier, my friend or I. Just last week, I pulled an 1861 seated half from this same site. Two seated halves in two hunts. Below, is a pic of my friends finds.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2019 03:46AM by Apolonio (CA).
Re: Beginners luck, Friend finds his first seated coin.
September 17, 2019 10:17AM
September 17, 2019 04:32PM
eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Outstanding! That IS some beginner's luck, I'd say!

NICE! That must be some site...

Steve
September 17, 2019 05:02PM
Nice silver!
September 17, 2019 05:12PM
Thanks Ozzie, Steveg and ghound,

Yes, my friend is mostly a park hunter. I’ve taken him on several relic hunts before, both far and local. He recently switched from the Whites V-3i to the Equniox, he’s starting to get the Equniox down.

The site, Auctually I found it about eight years ago. Wasn’t until recently, found more material confirming my research this was a town site. And, supposedly an 1851 fort was built here which was abandoned shortly after. Hopefully, in the coming months ahead artifacts from the fort surface.

The property owner, very nice rancher allows me to defect here. Thousands of acres, fortunately there were four settlements on this property. Most of previous finds, are in our country museum displayed on a nice stand up glass case. With the exception of an 1846 $5 gold piece, that went to the property owner. All other coins, are in the museum. I’ve recently dug up three other silvers, two of these three will go to the museum as well. These are a 1835 bust quarter and 1850 1/2 dime. The 1861 seated 1/2 I dug last week, that’s wasn’t from the famous site so this will probably go to the property owner unless he let’s me keep it.

Will share more in the future, very excited this site was worth a second look into.

Thanks again,
Pail

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2019 05:16PM by Apolonio (CA).
September 17, 2019 05:57PM
VERY interesting, Paul. Thanks for providing the additional info!

Fascinating property, that you have to hunt there...

Steve
September 17, 2019 06:24PM
Paul, you never cease to amaze me with your ability to find sites.

And to those who don't know Paul personally, he is bar-none on the personality-scale. Such that he can approach a total stranger (ranch-owners, etc...) and .... within 10 minutes : They've given him the keys-to-the-kingdom. Versus others of us who tend to get the door closed in our face with our bumbling rambling permission requests. Doh!

And has gone as far as giving key date coins (and even a gold coin !) to the property owners that have allowed him to hunt. And has , as seen here, not been stingy about his sites with other md'rs. When truth be told, he puts himself in a risk by looping others in. Ie.: they could claim-jump, or end up showing no appreciation/respect, etc....

Hats off to you Paul !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2019 06:25PM by Tom_in_CA.
September 17, 2019 08:35PM
A pleasure Steve,

Thanks fir the encouraging words, And I’ll pass this along to my friend he’ll be thrilled to hear others enjoyed his finds.

Thanks again,
Paul
September 17, 2019 08:41PM
Thanks Tom,

Same here, you’ve always been a contributor to the hobby. Especially, sharing your knowledge and experience with other detectorist and your local community.

Always appreciative to kindness, we’ll have to get out in the future.

have a couple detectors I’d like to show you. Think you’ll be impressed, one is the Tarsacci.

Thanks Tom,
Paul