Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nox update?

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Nox update?
September 25, 2019 12:40AM
A second coordinate on the screen.... would be a totally new detector model.
September 25, 2019 01:39AM
FYI, the next update is posted on ML's website, but the software doesnt seem live quite yet.

[www.minelab.com]

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================
September 25, 2019 05:04AM
What is new?

Difficult ferrous targets — the common enemy for all detectorists. That is until EQUINOX. Hit the download on our EQUINOX update to make those pesky bottle caps, rusty nails and other falsing targets a thing of the past. Fire up the Minelab Update Utility and you’re on your way. It’s simple. You’ll experience the enhanced Iron Bias feature, improved EQUINOX 600 backlight and much more.

Improved Iron Bias

Iron Bias has been enhanced with the addition of a new Iron Bias settings profile. The original EQUINOX Iron Bias 'FE' settings will still be available, but there is now the option to switch to the new Iron Bias 'F2' settings, which have an improved capability to reject a much wider range of difficult iron targets, including bottle caps.

EQUINOX 600 Backlight Brightness

The EQUINOX 600 now has the ability to adjust the backlight brightness to an additional 'Low' setting that matches the minimum setting on the EQUINOX 800. This 'Low' brightness is ideal for detecting at night and in low light conditions.
September 25, 2019 06:18AM
Hit the download on our EQUINOX update to make those pesky bottle caps, rusty nails and other falsing targets a thing of the past.

Sounds too good..

g
September 25, 2019 06:57AM
silverfiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FYI, the next update is posted on ML's website, bu
> t the software doesnt seem live quite yet.
>
> [www.minelab.com]-
> 0?fbclid=IwAR3QcyFBFqKsq-uzIG0tAhWewoMFjvKAP2DCuqh
> RGGIrzB7cR2GZG9i4L9g

It's been live for a couple of hours now.
Make sure you (re)download the latest version of the update utility.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 06:58AM by Mike in CO.
September 25, 2019 09:20AM
I downloaded the new Minelab Utility 2.0.1, but when I click on it, it says "How do you want to open this file?"
I tried: Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader, Internet Explorer, but it won't go further...
Please help
September 25, 2019 09:31AM
Plug your nox into the computer and turn it on, it should auto initiate the download
September 25, 2019 09:52AM
I plugged in the Nox and still nothing.
I did noticed that this download does not have an .exe extension like the old utility update
September 25, 2019 10:41AM
Sorted! I updated directly from the website without downloading. Now to figure this F2 out.
September 25, 2019 10:43AM
DiggaMke Wrote:
> I plugged in the Nox and still nothing.
> I did noticed that this download does not have an
> .exe extension like the old utility update

It does have an exe extension.
Are you downloading the right thing?
The file size should be about 32 MB.

It runs exactly like the old update utility.
September 25, 2019 12:26PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> A second coordinate on the screen.... would be a t
> otally new detector model.

I was quick and not clear in my writing. I was meaning a Fe number on the screen. (Not a 2D screen like the E-Trac - I know that is a sad dream, asked years ago.)
I thought maybe a more detailed ground balance number type of thing, but while swinging over a target.

EMS
September 25, 2019 12:35PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:

>
> I was quick and not clear in my writing. I was meaning a Fe number on the screen.

You mean kinda like what an F75 has ?
September 25, 2019 12:38PM
EMS...…. not a sad dream.

Also...….. no. There will not be a Fe3O4 'dirt mineralization reading' on the screen. Only the Fe adjustment numbers (0-9)….. and the new F2 (0-9) settings.
September 25, 2019 01:02PM
Rover - Yeah, exactly what I meant. (Been a while, forget the terms.) Would be nice to have some kind of Fe number to compare soils (and then custom programs makes a bit more sense there.)
Tom- winking smiley

Thanks guys!
EMS
September 25, 2019 01:16PM
Oopsss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 01:19PM by ghound.
September 25, 2019 01:17PM
I don't know what else has changed, but I've a simulated hoard of coins that the Nox would hit hard on, but it called it 99% iron.
It's now giving a 80% good dig me signal?
Has the algorithms changed for ID deep signals?
September 26, 2019 10:26AM
Tom D... did they detune the power output of Beach 2? I noticed some difficulty on a deep clad coin - Beach 1 hit it sweet, but Beach 2 was a bit choppy. Last update had Beach 2 at a higher power output than original software.
Otherwise, the iron grunt on bottle tops works a treat.
Volume is a tad softer. Machine is quieter - not so chatty. Depth meter seems more accurate too. Auto tracking seems faster.
Have to relearn this machine, especially how it behaves on deep gold rings to see if those iffy signals are still gold with the implementation of F2.

Mike
September 26, 2019 01:12PM
Many want to knock out iron...... but knowing how non-ferr can change at depth i prefer to ID iron better and may well use a lower FE2 digit. Fe2 at 4 which Tom recommended gives me about the same tone on iron in the water as what i was using Fe at 2. It did seem to move more of the surface falsing to the iron side out of that low digit reading.... BETTER. For me i didnt notice it eliminating bottle caps..... but it could be adjusted to better ID them than that solid 15 we can get. The ones that are more of a pain in the butt are those deep ones that read say...... 12. I didnt find any of those yesterday... or it knocked um out. What i dont want as a water hunter using AM is deep non-ferr ......like gold being knocked out. We will see how that goes.

I just watched a diggers video testing bottle caps in park mode. I didnt get the same reaction using beach mode as he did? My bottle caps were still there but i could get MORE iron sound which easily IDed them for me. Wonder what his IB was?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2019 01:29PM by dewcon4414.
September 26, 2019 09:43PM
Tom D.... did Minelab fix the depth meter with this new update?
September 26, 2019 11:01PM
TomD,

What can the F2 settings "take care of" that the original FE 0-9 couldn't? I am missing something here.... You mention to keep iron bias at zero so non-ferrous is not missed.
Now you indicate for Equinox 800 owners to adjust to F2 level 4. Won't this "mask" non-ferrous next to ferrous or are the F2 settings a whole different set of parameters ? Thank you for helping me to understand. - Jim

Fe adjustment numbers (0-9)….. and the new F2 (0-9)
September 28, 2019 10:22AM
I did the update and got out for a couple of hours yesterday to try it out. Lots of modern trash and lots of coins (silver is slim). I dug a 2 bottle caps but they were very iffy signals. They were nothing like in the past (tricked me with good signals though the front coil check helps.) Seems like in that regard the update really helps.
I was running Recovery at 2 and Fe2 at 4. I did dig a higher smaller conductor in pretty heavy iron, but not a coin. Really full of iron and trash. Very hard to find a place to ground balance, which was at 18-19.
oh, I got tired of digging non silver coins after 15 minutes (and wanted to save those for my daughter next time, lol) so ran disc at 23 (also to give my brain a rest.) How I found the high conductor imo.

EMS
September 28, 2019 10:38AM
Jim..... over a bottle cap to me FE2 at 4 seems to be much like my using FE at 2.... but it does give a bit more iron sound making it easier to ID iron. Im running AM. It seems to have moved SOME of the pesty iron falsing in the lower digits as well. Im running iron volume low around 2 with no threshold and using it sort of like a back ground threshold so i can ID a concentration of targets in the water.
September 28, 2019 11:01AM
Tom has given some great info. Bottle caps were a major complaint and this new FE scale ....F2 seems to help with them. I personally don't know but i have read some promising posts.

A couple of points......

When discussing this new feature on a forum it can get confusing just by using the names. Like FE 2 compared to F2 or worse yet iron bias 2 on the F2 scale.

Minelab seems to have gone out of their way to help the average novice with this update. But then there is a trade off on missing non ferris targets if you use too much.

Some people enjoy the tinkering with settings and the analizing of targets before they dig. I am not one of them. If it isn't simple I won't like it. Going back and forth between the iron bias scales is the push of one button. Compare........and either dig or move on. Pretty simple. They didn't take away the old settings. That would have been a disaster for me.
September 28, 2019 11:25AM
goody........ for beach hunting ML recommended ...... FE2 AND FE to be set at 6.....that seems high especially since a lot of guys run their Recovery Speed to high ... around 6 which can chop a signal. Add ..... they recommend running in disc up to 0. That to me just make anything found in the lower digits choppy and with a real high recovery speed you just miss near targets.
September 28, 2019 02:33PM
Minelab has their recommendations set for the novice. We know better.
September 28, 2019 04:33PM
Since the update, occasionally my screen is freezing, and I met a guy today at a dig who's Nox shut down and won't restart after he tried to update.
September 28, 2019 04:34PM
Since the update, occasionally my screen is freezing, and I met a guy today at a dig who's Nox shut down and won't restart after he tried to update.
Also saw a Nox that had snapped at handle, just below the screen!
September 28, 2019 08:10PM
Anyone tested bent nails....what it takes to knock um out and at what depth
October 06, 2019 01:37PM
Has anyone tested the update to see how it affects masking? My concern is whether less iron falsing might hinder separation.
October 06, 2019 09:49PM
On my tests F2 0 separates better than fe 0 but then like Tom D. said F2 4 is equal to Fe 0. So going to F2 0 is going negative in Fe letting you hear new targets better.