Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Equinox update has arrived!!

Posted by Dan(NM) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New Equinox update has arrived!!
September 25, 2019 12:47AM
[www.minelab.com]

I tried to download it, not working for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 12:58AM by Dan(NM).
Re: New Equinox update has arrived!!
September 25, 2019 01:04AM
Does not work!
September 25, 2019 01:42AM
Seems that the webpage was updated before the updater was. I'm sure the 2.0 will be out in a few hours (or hopefully a few days at most)

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

======================================================
September 25, 2019 02:59AM
Update is now working, just downloaded new version.

I figured out how to access the new FE feature. Go to the iron bias setting, push accept/reject button(far right) Once there you can adjust the settings from 0-9, I will continue to run mine at 0

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 03:46AM by Dan(NM).
September 25, 2019 03:53AM
So I guess the big question is and maybe NASA Tom can answer this, should you still run 0 iron bias with the new feature as to not mask good targets in carpet of nails.
September 25, 2019 04:07AM
Folks need to experiment with F2 feature and settings. With bottlecaps and various iron.
btw
Using original F feature (iron bias) running equal settings and using F2 feature NOT the same detector performance/behavior in the field/[./b]
So F=0 not the same as F2=0 for example.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 04:13AM by tnsharpshooter.
September 25, 2019 10:18AM
There's a lot more to MUU-2 upgrade...… than we are advertising. I have a LOT to say. But...………. for now...……………. place the unit in F2...….. and leave it there forever. For those that ran FE '0'...… now use: F2 '4'. I will explain later...……… hopefully...….. when I can get my regular computer working with this web-site/forum again.
September 25, 2019 10:30AM
Another dumb question........ if you are still using the first version..... does this version update it with ALL the version changes? Can we maintain the first version with just the changes made by the update? I guess ill find out ...... just down loaded it. Very simple and thanks Dan for finding out how find it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 10:48AM by dewcon4414.
September 25, 2019 11:59AM
September 25, 2019 12:05PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a lot more to MUU-2 upgrade...… than we ar
> e advertising. I have a LOT to say. But...………. for
> now...……………. place the unit in F2...….. and leave
> it there forever. For those that ran FE '0'...… no
> w use: F2 '4'. I will explain later...……… hopefu
> lly...….. when I can get my regular computer worki
> ng with this web-site/forum again.

Tom
Is there any need/enhancement to adjusting recovery speed with this update? I've been using RS 3 mostly.

Tom
September 25, 2019 12:34PM
Tom...…. continue using the same recovery speed(s). A TRR of '2' or '3'.
September 25, 2019 01:03PM
Another demo. Bottlecap rejection may indeed be enhanced. Bottlecap composition can be a driver too.
[www.youtube.com]
September 25, 2019 01:15PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Tom...…. continue using the same recovery speed(s)
> . A TRR of '2' or '3'.

Thanks Tom, will give it a go using those settings.
September 25, 2019 01:15PM
I've been using a TR of 2, with Iron Bias at 0. Curious what you guys think as, in most situations, my ground is littered with iron (old German ground.) And lots of iron flakes.
A typical swing is 3 or 4 iron targets. Would this be a reason to go to a TR of 3?

BTW Tom, thanks for your mention in another thread of Park 1 being better (forget your exact words) for ground with iron flakes. That is my ground. Remember my old E-Trac videos with the crazy jumping Fe number on the deeper-ish targets? You pointed out that long term problem. (Miss that puzzle tbh.)
I realized then, why the lower frequencies (e.g. Omega 8000) were running so well in my ground.

EMS
September 25, 2019 04:05PM
Tom D... you say leave it in FE2 and forget about it... does FE2 over-ride FE?
What do we do with original FE settings - use it as we always have? ...Example I previously used Iron Bias = 1 on V1.75

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 04:08PM by DiggaMke.
September 25, 2019 04:22PM
EQX 600/800 User's Manual updated to reflect latest update.
See pages 32 and 52
[www.minelab.com])
September 25, 2019 04:42PM
Thanks Tnsharpshooter!
It makes sense now.

Tom D, you can ignore my question as I got it figured out now.

Mike
September 25, 2019 05:41PM
I had to run the updater in compatibility mode on my computer, the old girl is still running Windows 7 SP1, but the Nox seemed to update fine once I discovered that. If it just sits there and you get nothing but a spinning icon, you MAY want to give that a try. Remember, you mileage may vary.
September 25, 2019 06:01PM
I just downloaded and did a quick test using F2-4 that Tom had mentioned for FE 0 users.
I haven’t really had a big problem with rusty caps but do occasionally find some that ring up nicely..
Using one that I found on my last hunt that rang up a solid 12 now comes up all iron tones with an occasional broken mid tone with the new settings.
The update is definitely doing something different.. Hope it improves the nail falsing which is a much bigger problem for me.

Bryan
September 25, 2019 06:35PM
Reading the various forum chit-chat on this software upgrade is a bit revealing in one regard, as it pertains to the Nox vs the prior generation FBS . The "buzz" about this upgrade is that this upgrade is going to improve iron ID, eh ? To help alleviate all the getting fooled by iron, eh ? So this is a tacit acknowledgement that this had been a weakness therefore. Right ?

My buddy and I got back for a bit more turf testing on Nox vs Exp. a week ago (this time each of us with 11" coils). And we noticed that ... in our quest for insane deep high conductor whispers, that he was tending to get fooled @ 3x more often (deep "chicken bone" rusty nail blobs) versus me. Naturally, he could have raised his mental criteria of what to choose or pass. But ... since the test was for deep hidden silver, we were each grasping for whispers.

Bottom line is, we determined that the Nox seems to be more prone to allowing you to get fooled by iron (if angling for whispers). And now, with all the talk of this upgrade 2.0 to improve the issue, seems to just confirm that ... yes .... this had been a weakness of the Nox. Eh ?
September 25, 2019 06:48PM
I had nail falsing problems with all my FBS detectors. The Equinox might be slightly worse but not by much.
The one good thing about the Equinox is that you don’t really get “whispers” as you call them.
Very Deep coins have great audio to full depth unlike the CTX and E-Trac.

Bryan
September 25, 2019 07:42PM
I don't dig many nails with my Equinox, not anymore than I remember digging with the Explorer, cabin fever is right it has good audio to full depth and fairly accurate ID to boot. I used the Explorer II since 2001 or so and just last year let it go after I was convinced I didn't need to keep it and the Equinox. I haven't tested the upgrade yet, but plan on putting it to the test tomorrow in an iron laden relic site.
September 25, 2019 08:35PM
Abenson Wrote:
> I don't dig many nails with my Equinox, not anymor
> e than I remember digging with the Explorer, cabin
> fever is right.

Then I would love nothing more than to meet someone with this skill level achieved on the Nox. When it comes to deep-turf-strategy, I would love to be spanked in a duel. All I ever see, is the reverse though. And then ... sure .... someone can say "that person wasn't experienced enough" or "that person didn't have this or that setting done right ". AND PERHAPS THIS IS TRUE !

So I'll float the challenge yet again : Anyone care to meet for a flagged target field test ? Each person flag multiple targets that they think is a deep high conductor (while passing junk and clad). Then each person honestly evaluate if they'd have heard it on their own. And dig them : Was it a deep nail instead ? Was it shallow clad instead ? And do things like show a 3 ft. x 3 ft. square area, to which the other person must isolate the possible deep coin (to keep the subtle subconscious "bias" from creeping in, if you show the person the exact spot to swing over).
September 25, 2019 09:22PM
I would love to but am guessing I don’t live anywhere near you, assuming your in California??
Deep Turf hunting for old coins in parks is what I do. If I felt the CTX or E-Trac did this better then my Equinox, I would have kept them.
I have put LOT of hours on both and have done very well with them.

There is no doubt the FBS detectors are easier to run in a park, but it’s my opinion that the Equinox is better at finding the deepest coins,
as well as the coins partially masked by junk. It may take above average skills to realize the Equinox’s maximum ability though.

I have some Nice parks we can hunt with the old coins running in the 8-10 inch range that would be perfect for your test if you can make it to Eastern Washington.
I would love to travel but am unable to because of my sons disability..

Bryan
September 25, 2019 10:23PM
Dang Tom you are awfully skilled or you don’t think the Nox is worth the cash. I hunted with it a few hours today.... i of course test FE vs FE2 but to do it right might require two machines like it did with the last update. Problem with bottle caps they hit around 15. I had more problems with rusted screws today. Lot of round iron pushed up ....that sounded like iron in AM as expected. Also more and more are being made with that odd high tone metal....copper maybe.
September 25, 2019 10:25PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> I would love to but am guessing I don’t live anywh
> ere near you, assuming your in California??
>

I don't have business up in Washington, and I don't suppose you have business down in CA, eh ? sad smiley

Anyhow, the better mousetrap that you cite (being "absolute" and "beyond mere preference") is cited by many many happy Nox users. But for that matter, so too would "faithful" show up , out of the word-work, for ANY machine being discussed, eh ? Ie.: there's no shortage of Sov. fans who will say it spanks all others in field tests. There is no shortage of Kruzer fans, AT pro fans, Tek fans, etc... that .... likewise .... would swear up and down that theirs would pull ahead in flagged target tests.

So , when limited to a discussion of *just* Nox vs *just* the Explorer , for *just* deep-turf debate, I have to consider that the same "loyalty" is at play. Ie.: that the "testimonials" are merely anecdotal. And as you know, the only way to solve that is to meet head to head. Oh well, my buddy here in CA is going to be meeting me for some more tests coming up. We got sidetracked on some old-town demolition project, but hope to resume testing soon.

That was the way I came "kicking and screaming" to love the Explorer. Was flagged target tests. That .... at the end of an hour, despite pulling my hair out trying every conceivable trick on my Whites, that I had to admit that .... I would simply not be hearing what my buddies Explorer was giving him with "room to spare".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2019 10:29PM by Tom_in_CA.
September 25, 2019 10:26PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> .... or you don’t thin
> k the Nox is worth the cash.

I want with a PASSION to be shown that it's worth the cash. I mean ... duh ... who WOULDN'T want a better mouse trap ?
September 26, 2019 10:10AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cabin Fever Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would love to but am guessing I don’t live any
> wh
> > ere near you, assuming your in California??
> >
>
> I don't have business up in Washington, and I don'
> t suppose you have business down in CA, eh ? sad smiley
>
> Anyhow, the better mousetrap that you cite (being
> "absolute" and "beyond mere preference") is cited
> by many many happy Nox users. But for that matter
> , so too would "faithful" show up , out of
> the word-work, for ANY machine being
> discussed, eh ? Ie.: there's no shortage of Sov.
> fans who will say it spanks all others in field te
> sts. There is no shortage of Kruzer fans, AT pro
> fans, Tek fans, etc... that .... likewise .... wou
> ld swear up and down that theirs would pull ahead
> in flagged target tests.
>
>
> So , when limited to a discussion of *just* Nox vs
> *just* the Explorer , for *just* deep-turf debate,
> I have to consider that the same "loyalty" is at p
> lay. Ie.: that the "testimonials" are merely anec
> dotal. And as you know, the only way to solve th
> at is to meet head to head. Oh well, my buddy he
> re in CA is going to be meeting me for some more t
> ests coming up. We got sidetracked on some old-t
> own demolition project, but hope to resume testing
> soon.
>
> That was the way I came "kicking and screaming" to
> love the Explorer. Was flagged target tests. Tha
> t .... at the end of an hour, despite pulling my h
> air out trying every conceivable trick on my White
> s, that I had to admit that .... I would simply no
> t be hearing what my buddies Explorer was giving h
> im with "room to spare".

Brand loyalty is very powerful for a lot of people. My only weakness on that subject has been with Toyota 4x4 pickups. ( think I’m on number 8)
I have owned most brands of metal detectors and only ended up using the Minelabs because they worked best on my ground for
the type of hunting I do.
My hunting partner just this week finally gave in and ordered an Equinox 800.. He Is a hardcore Whites man.
When I was running the CTX and E-Trac, we always ran very even on the old coin find count while he was using his V3i.
Not so much with his MX Sport.
That changed when I got my Equinox. Once I learned the Nox I have been out hunting him constantly by at least 3 to 1.
That’s a conservative estimate.. I have been on hunts with him where I have found 7 to 10 old coins to his one!
These are very tough, hunted out locations.
It has been very frustrating for him because he takes the hobby seriously and is very competitive.
He is a fantastic hunter.
I never thought he would switch but he finally admitted to me that he couldn’t hear most of the deep targets I was showing him.
We cross check signals all the time but he never lets me listen.
For him to buy an Equinox is a BIG deal! Never thought I would see the day.

Bryan
September 26, 2019 10:20AM
I'm not brand loyal either, i use what works best in my soil and at the moment it's ML.
And don't get me started on 4x4's, we all know Land Rover is best by far!
September 26, 2019 10:21AM
I wouldnt say this is an out of the box machine in some ways Tom. I know its hard to pry those older machines from our cold dead fingers. There are things i DONT like about this machine.... but there were things with most.... things that we had to adapt to. But you have to admit...... the proof is in the FINDS. The Nox has just taken over and people in every mode are jumping on board. Is it hype.... or more tech ability to SHOW whats being found like u-tube or videos? Maybe. Im impressed with some of the gold being found in say park settings. Maybe ..... we just run this machines to HOT? You know what a hot machine can do in bent nails, large iron and hot rocks. Ive not been able to run this machine like i want in the salt water either..... BUT, i have to admit its as good and in some cases better that the other machines i use.... and at half the price or MORE in the case of the CTX. In the wet sand...... id say its superior to most. I do dig more trash in the dry chasing those very low digits ...... like most looking for chains that might not be there lol. Wanta see my foil ball lol. Also......... its possible that depth ISNT the primary factor in all these finds... possibly the recovery speed is..... something the FBS doesnt have.

Now..... i did get in a short hunt yesterday in the water and dry sand. Over bottle caps i could get them to change/separate tones. However .....fe ran at 2 sounds a good bit like fe2 at 4.... bottle caps werent disappearing... but maybe ive got those ones with the wierd metal. WHAT I DID NOTICE ..... much more of that iron was NOT hitting in the lower digits. It was sounding off as iron. I found it odd the manual showed the exact same setting for BOTH FE or FE2 no matter which you used? I did like FE2 setting at 4..... but even lower when testing a target..... but when on the move, 4 and above seemed better on surface iron response.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2019 01:22PM by dewcon4414.