Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How do you free up a jammed locking collar

Posted by gravityrules 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How do you free up a jammed locking collar
September 26, 2019 03:28PM
I have a Fisher F5 which has a 3 piece S rod assembly. The upper locking collar is jammed and I have not yet been able to free it up.
Does anyone have tips on how to deal with a stuck locking collar?

Although it's only a minor annoyance since it doesn't affect coil changes or length adjustments, I would like for this to work properly.
Re: How do you free up a jammed locking collar
September 26, 2019 04:33PM
Maybe a squirt of penetrating oil, a light tap or two, and or a small pipe wrench.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2019 12:24AM by SkiWhiz.
September 26, 2019 05:02PM
I dont know that model, but I'm going to guess its the old-school twist lock mechanism. I have jambed up my old whites water detectors many times. What I used was soapy water, light taps with a rubber mallet and manual twisting on the collar. You will probably have to make many cycles of tapping and twisting. As soon as you feel any amount of movement, you need to put the collar in a container of soapy water or under active running water. Then keep twisting that collar back and forth that tiny amount it will turn. The tiny movement will slowly work the sand out and free it up. I have also had to put my rod in a vise and use force to separate the sections because they were sand packed.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

September 26, 2019 05:13PM
I have had success using this method; apply hot water to the outer ring. The heat will cause it to expand, then give it a twist. Will work on salt encrusted twist locks also but saturate the whole assy this time. It will loosen and help to melt the salt crystals.
September 26, 2019 07:19PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas. I don't think this is the old style threaded twist lock, it has a small plastic piece that will protrude inward through a slot in the outer metal tube to squeeze against the outer surface of the inner metal tube when the locking collar (also plastic) is twisted. I applied some WD-40 and now do have a small amount of movement, I will continue to work that and see if it will free up. It feels as if there's some grit or sand in there somewhere.
September 26, 2019 08:09PM
It's worth removing the control-box from the shaft if you plan on dunking it in hot water etc.
September 26, 2019 08:31PM
Put a rag around it, use a pipe wrench and remember Lefty Loosy.

Mike
September 26, 2019 08:59PM
gravityrules Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks everyone for the ideas. I don't think this
> is the old style threaded twist lock, it has a sma
> ll plastic piece that will protrude inward through
> a slot in the outer metal tube to squeeze against
> the outer surface of the inner metal tube when the
> locking collar (also plastic) is twisted. I appli
> ed some WD-40 and now do have a small amount of mo
> vement, I will continue to work that and see if it
> will free up. It feels as if there's some grit or
> sand in there somewhere.

Thats the same design I've used in the past. The jamb is the sand in the threaded collar, not letting it twist and loosen the inner tab.

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

October 01, 2019 12:31AM
Once you get it loosen up, make sure that you wipe all the penetrating oil off it so sand,dirt,etc. won't stick to it.