Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New detector thought

Posted by Rick, N. MI 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New detector thought
October 15, 2019 09:32PM
How about a ground imaging systems on a drone. No sweeping a detector. Just move the drone and all information is on your controller. Maybe an auto programing that makes it work a pattern automatic and it stops on a signal.

I don't know if you can move a drone that accurately or if it could run long enough. Maybe a ground sensor that keeps the drone from hitting the ground and keeping it at the right height.

I wonder how expensive that would be lol.
Re: New detector thought
October 15, 2019 11:15PM
You could always stake off an area and use one of those self running vacuum cleaners. They even go back to recharge lol.
October 16, 2019 01:22AM
I'd be happy just to be able to add LIDAR to my drone, oh the opportunities that would open eye popping smiley
October 16, 2019 04:24PM
Hello Rick,

A pleasant surprise seeing this drone post, I’ve been using using drones for research and lately working on couple of projects related to metal detecting. One, Very similar to your idea of ground imaging on a drone. But will use a coil underneath drone that will transfer actual conductivity signal back to my Controller even if drone is miles away. The other project, recover ground samples from a drone or even an auctal artifact if it’s not too heavy.

I use high technology drones, the best out there and sort of like our metal detectors can be very expensive. From the air, in some cases can view what we can’t see from ground level. I’ve even been fortunate to find Native American Indian villages, some with pictographs on rock walls or rock caves. One particular rock cave is large, allowing me to fly inside several feet videoing and taking pictures of the pictographs. Truly amazing, how technology has advanced.

Just last week, placed an order on a very advanced drone probably more advanced than what’s out there. This drone will allow me to fly in areas I could not before, searching for pictographs hidden deep in tight areas or scanning the ground for signs of an old Spanish or Western settlement. Unfortunately, won’t receive this drone until Jan 2020. Has a great follow me mode as well the best on the planet. It’s called Skydio 2, hope you and the others take a quick peek on the internet on this new advanced drone, it’s an amazing piece of equipment.

Want to add, the areas I fly are with permission. Very fortunate having access to thousands of acres both cattle and farm land rich with history.

Eventually, Your idea of ground imaging on a drone will be here, it probably already is but for military use.

Great post Rick, thanks for bringing it up.

Paul

Rick, N. MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about a ground imaging systems on a drone. No
> sweeping a detector. Just move the drone and all i
> nformation is on your controller. Maybe an auto pr
> ograming that makes it work a pattern automatic an
> d it stops on a signal.
>
> I don't know if you can move a drone that accurate
> ly or if it could run long enough. Maybe a ground
> sensor that keeps the drone from hitting the groun
> d and keeping it at the right height.
>
> I wonder how expensive that would be lol.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2019 06:52PM by Apolonio (CA).
October 16, 2019 08:07PM
Wow, thanks for the info and follow up Paul.

Going to check that drone out.

Send some photos when you get the coil and drone going.
October 16, 2019 08:50PM
For info, I read that the typical flight altitude for Lidar scans is 800 metres, and they scan a line of 100 metres width, ie. 7 degrees beam scan.
October 17, 2019 06:38AM
I’ll do that Rick, once it’s close to completion I’ll share pictures. I may have to go with a bigger drone, but trying to stay with Ocusync 2.0 technology much better transmission. Stronger signal is best, especially in areas with rugged terrain.

The Skydio 2, does not have Ocusync 2.0 technology, but for areas with little inference it’ll do well. I like the fact it can maneuver in tight places and Skydio 2 will avoid obstacles, operates either with beacon or Controller, the Controller increases range to 2.2 miles. Not near the distance as my other top end with Ocusync 2.0 technology but for what it’s capable of doing Skydio 2 will be years ahead in technology.

Good luck, and hope someday you venture into drone flying.

Paul

Rick, N. MI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, thanks for the info and follow up Paul.
>
> Going to check that drone out.
>
> Send some photos when you get the coil and drone g
> oing.